AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amp (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50833)

Jack in Wilmington 02-05-2022 05:09 PM

Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amp

4 Attachment(s)
Just picked up a NIB Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp on the used marketplace. It should look real nice sitting atop my Bryston DAC. I had previously picked up a Burson Soloist 3X, but I wasn't crazy about the sound I was getting. I had tried 4 different sets of phones and none of them clicked. I'll probably put the Burson up for sale or make a swap with the dealer. Anybody else own the Bryston and what are your opinions?

clpetersen 02-06-2022 08:40 AM

It is wonderful headphone amp. Classic design, plenty of power. Like other Bryston gear, it amplifies without coloration. It is a great visual match with other Bryston equipment.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5595

Jack in Wilmington 02-06-2022 10:07 AM

Nice looking setup. Turntable (?) I can't find a remote for the BHA-1, is there no such animal? You probably have to use the remote from another piece of Bryston gear like your BP-17.

Jack in Wilmington 02-10-2022 10:35 PM

Bryston arrived around 11:30 this morning. Had some other projects I was working on so I didn't get to unboxing until 1:30. Simple setup like I figured and she was up and running. The Who's Quadrophenia was next up on my music server so I sat down and hit play with my Dan Clark's in place and damn did it sound good.

Jack in Wilmington 02-10-2022 10:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Bryston arrived around 11:30 this morning. Had some other projects I was working on so I didn't get to unboxing until 1:30. Simple setup like I figured and she was up and running. The Who's Quadrophenia was next up on my music server so I sat down and hit play with my Dan Clark's in place and damn dAttachment 66635

Attachment 66636

Attachment 66637

Attachment 66638id it sound good.

Formerly YB-2 02-10-2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 1054842)
It is wonderful headphone amp. Classic design, plenty of power. Like other Bryston gear, it amplifies without coloration. It is a great visual match with other Bryston equipment.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5595

Great system (though I would put the amp on top due to the heat it generates and 'breathing space').

clpetersen 02-11-2022 01:08 PM

Thanks -
Jack-in-Wilmington - no remote for the BHA-1 as far as I know. No IR sensor on the front panel. I don't use a remote for the BP-17 (so far).

YB-2 - the BHA-1 runs hotter than the amp, go figure. Mike and James at Bryston also recommended this stack. I did install higher feet on all three pieces, per their recommendation (simple feet from Parts Express).
Only two units are on at time, and I did measure temps after some hours. All good so far. Some hidden air slots under amp.

elwappo99 03-07-2022 06:35 PM

Great find! BHA-1 is an oldie that is coming around again. There is not remote option for the unit, but it does have a nice preamp (only the first few units did not have a preamp).

I'd also monitor the temps there. I have a few ACinfinity fans in my closed in spaces that do wonders.

miner 07-12-2022 12:35 PM

When, culling my system down, a friend came over to listen to a pair of headphones I was letting go to another home; Grado PS1000. He listened through the BHA-1 then through the Mc C1100 headphone Jack. He loved the sound of the Grados but would only buy them if I also sold him my BHA-1. That will be his one and only amp to use for personal listening. I sold him both pieces. I missed the BHA-1 so much I bought another from Ivan, in black this time. A testament to the quality of the unit and the at-your-service of the seller.

Masterlu 07-12-2022 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 1063749)
When, culling my system down, a friend came over to listen to a pair of headphones I was letting go to another home; Grado PS1000. He listened through the BHA-1 then through the Mc C1100 headphone Jack. He loved the sound of the Grados but would only buy them if I also sold him my BHA-1. That will be his one and only amp to use for personal listening. I sold him both pieces. I missed the BHA-1 so much I bought another from Ivan, in black this time. A testament to the quality of the unit and the at-your-service of the seller.

:tiphat:

Robert_Anderson 07-14-2022 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington (Post 1054805)
Just picked up a NIB Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp on the used marketplace. It should look real nice sitting atop my Bryston DAC. I had previously picked up a Burson Soloist 3X, but I wasn't crazy about the sound I was getting. I had tried 4 different sets of phones and none of them clicked. I'll probably put the Burson up for sale or make a swap with the dealer. Anybody else own the Bryston and what are your opinions?

Ivan sold me one some time ago. Like all Bryston gear, it's an amazing bargain. You'll love it!