AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Impact Windows going in … (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51266)

JoeN 06-15-2022 07:48 AM

Impact Windows going in …

Impact windows are the norm in Florida if living on or near the coast. However, when we purchased our home in the N. Fl Panhandle ours didn’t have them (though our real estate agent told us otherwise).

So weather permitting tomorrow and Friday our new impact windows are going installed. The really scary thing is that they will be working close to my system on one of the windows.

While we are hoping all will go well I’m wondering what the difference in sound will be with impact vs regular windows? In our other home in Naples, FL we had impact windows. Never heard the previous system without them.

Famester V1 06-15-2022 08:52 AM

We recently installed either impact or double pane windows.
They do make a significant amount of noise reduction.
I would not trust the installers near your system.
Either keep a very close eye on them and/or at least cover everything.
The installers at my place removed the window shades for me but didn't remove them at my son's house when he did his.
They damaged his shades and are refusing to repair or replace them saying that it is the homeowner's responsibility to remove them. The company says it is detailed in the contract. They were different installers between my house and my son's house, but same company.
I had to have my window shades re-installed afterwards.
Also they trashed the wired alarm contacts, mine to the point where I went almost all wireless on the contacts. My son's alarm required significant repairs to the wiring.
Good luck!

Masterlu 06-15-2022 09:24 AM

:goodpost:

JoeN 06-15-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Famester V1 (Post 1062198)
We recently installed either impact or double pane windows.
They do make a significant amount of noise reduction.
I would not trust the installers near your system.
Either keep a very close eye on them and/or at least cover everything.
The installers at my place removed the window shades for me but didn't remove them at my son's house when he did his.
They damaged his shades and are refusing to repair or replace them saying that it is the homeowner's responsibility to remove them. The company says it is detailed in the contract. They were different installers between my house and my son's house, but same company.
I had to have my window shades re-installed afterwards.
Also they trashed the wired alarm contacts, mine to the point where I went almost all wireless on the contacts. My son's alarm required significant repairs to the wiring.
Good luck!

Wow, I’m so sorry that that happened. Sound like a major frustration. I’m hoping for a better experience.

Our system will be covered - esp the speakers. We contracted with our company to remove and reinstall our window coverings, so we should be ok there. At least I hope …

As far as the security system I’m removing it later today. Of course, I’ll reinstall when they are finished. We will see if it works afterwards :D

Again, so sorry to hear of these frustrations. Not fun.

Famester V1 06-15-2022 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1062200)
Wow, I’m so sorry that that happened. Sound like a major frustration. I’m hoping for a better experience.

Our system will be covered - esp the speakers. We contracted with our company to remove and reinstall our window coverings, so we should be ok there. At least I hope …

As far as the security system I’m removing it later today. Of course, I’ll reinstall when they are finished. We will see if it works afterwards :D

Again, so sorry to hear of these frustrations. Not fun.

It was the alarm wiring going to the window contacts that they chewed up when they removed the old windows.
They had to cut the old caulking and the old windows were tight, so they damaged the wiring. Was kind of unavoidable.
So I had the wiring deleted and went with wireless contacts.

JoeN 06-17-2022 12:57 PM

Well the window I was concerned with is in. Stereo system not touched. They are super careful installer. Dust is minimal as they use tarps to keep it mostly outside.

The windows though are challenging. No one knew it but when the builders put in the windows we are replacing they put them in with screws, nails, adhesive and wait for it - brick mortar. While the other items in the list are rather normal, brick mortar in this part of the country isn’t. The job will now last at least three days instead of two.

JoeN 06-20-2022 09:25 AM

Sound improvements that have been really noticeable after the impact windows were installed:

(1) Outside noise lowered substantially.
(2) Windows cause vibrations. Less vibration with impact windows = sound improvement.
(3) Area is now better sealed.
(4) Better detailed bass. (this was there all along, but now I can hear it because of the quieter room).

Our listening rooms are one of the most important features in our systems. The majority of audiophile systems aren’t in a separate listening room. Thus we have to be innovative - improvise, adapt, and overcome the barriers to good sound.