AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   If you were me... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25912)

Masterlu 03-22-2014 02:13 PM

If you were me...

If you were me would you entertain the thought of changing SF Aida's for Focal Utopia Grand EM's?

This would be in my Burmester rig in the Cape. Don't say yes just for the sake of spending money; let me hear your logic.

harri009 03-22-2014 02:20 PM

While I have not heard either speaker I can say that I would change. Why? because once you ask the question you will always be nagged with the desire to find the answer. You can always re-buy if you don't like them as much.

-E- 03-22-2014 02:30 PM

You already know what I say.

Masterlu 03-22-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harri009 (Post 591909)
While I have not heard either speaker I can say that I would change. Why? because once you ask the question you will always be nagged with the desire to find the answer. You can always re-buy if you don't like them as much.

Not exactly, these are two rather expensive Flagship speakers Utopia Grand EM's are $200k+

These also weigh in at 573lbs each, not exactly an easy install, considering they would have to go down a large flight of stairs.

Masterlu 03-22-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -E- (Post 591915)
You already know what I say.

But would you visit me? :D

harri009 03-22-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 591917)
Not exactly, these are two rather expensive Flagship speakers Utopia Grand EM's are $200k+ These also weigh in at 573lbs each, not exactly an easy install, considering they would have to go down a large flight of stairs.

Are you the one going to be moving them? I think I remember a picture of a couple cars that could easily fund the extra pair of speakers :) lol.

audioguy3107 03-22-2014 02:46 PM

I would be hesitant to do so until I listened on a (somewhat) comparable system. I've heard several iterations of the Utopia series and was honestly never a big fan compared to other comparable lines. Every single Focal speaker I've heard have made my ears bleed within minutes. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to the Beryllium tweeters or something since they're highly though of everywhere, so who knows? Just my 0.02$ !

Buck

Masterlu 03-22-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harri009 (Post 591919)
Are you the one going to be moving them? I think I remember a picture of a couple cars that could easily fund the extra pair of speakers :) lol.

Mercy no! Trade a car for speakers... :no:

I would be involved somehow in the installation for sure. ;)

djwhog 03-22-2014 02:48 PM

Ivan I would not even think of changing those speakers.

You have played with and had time with the Focal Utopia Grand EM's on other systems?

If so what would you think the main diff is going to be as far and being in perfect synergy with the rig you have now?

What are the gains and take a ways from your perspective?

I just can not imagine moving away from the SF Aida's! The SF Aida's are a HELL of a great unit, and yes those Focal's are amazing, but it is like Cab or Cab Franc? Both Cab, one a little drier...

Love to get your take on the why's :)

Masterlu 03-22-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 591920)
I would be hesitant to do so until I listened on a (somewhat) comparable system. I've heard several iterations of the Utopia series and was honestly never a big fan compared to other comparable lines. Every single Focal speaker I've heard have made my ears bleed within minutes. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to the Beryllium tweeters or something since they're highly though of everywhere, so who knows? Just my 0.02$ !

Buck

I appreciate your input. :ok: