AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Martin Logan shipping boxes... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=14978)

McPlanar 07-09-2012 01:34 PM

Martin Logan shipping boxes...

I'm getting ready to put my ML Depth subwoofer up for sale but I don't have the original box because I bought it as a dealer demo. Well no problem I think I'll just order a new box from ML. So I call them up and I'm told the box is $100 + shipping. First thought well it's more than a Mac box but its still easier than making my own so I order it. I get a phone call later and I'm told that the shipping will be based on "size or potential weight" so it could be as much as $150 just for shipping! :yikes: I guess they don't sell many boxes and I cancelled the order. Well I'm off to the UPS store. :sigh:

Masterlu 07-09-2012 01:38 PM

Ah, the old "Shipping the Empty Box Trick" ;)

Mikado463 07-09-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPlanar (Post 334783)
Well I'm off to the UPS store. :sigh:

bubble wrap the hell out of it !

GaryProtein 07-09-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPlanar (Post 334783)
I'm getting ready to put my ML Depth subwoofer up for sale but I don't have the original box because I bought it as a dealer demo. Well no problem I think I'll just order a new box from ML. So I call them up and I'm told the box is $100 + shipping. First thought well it's more than a Mac box but its still easier than making my own so I order it. I get a phone call later and I'm told that the shipping will be based on "size or potential weight" so it could be as much as $150 just for shipping! :yikes: I guess they don't sell many boxes and I cancelled the order. Well I'm off to the UPS store. :sigh:

I don't know why you're surprised. They have to send someone out, cut down a tree, grind it up into pulp, treat it with many chemicals to make it into paper, press it, dry it, and finally make it into paper. Then they have to make the paper into the wrinkly wavy stuff that sits in the middle of cardboard. That of course has to be sandwiched between outer and inner layers and very carefully glued and then a second layer of the previously described material must be painstakingly constructed. Then they have to very carefully cut out the origami shape necessary to construct this box, glue and then staple the sides together, reinforce the structure of the box, put a label on it, which will require them to harvest various plant and mineral pigments from the ground, buy a printer to print the label, glue it to the box, tape the box closed after making several internal supporting components and finally, someone has to drive the box to UPS or FEDEX to send it to you.

Doesn't it sound more like $150 now ? ? ? ? :thought: :banana: :dazed:

It's a wonder to me how they come up with these prices.

invenio 08-04-2012 11:43 AM

There are many cardboard box dealers on the internet that offer just about any size for much less. But I think your local UPS store will have a box that's adequate size. Your basically paying $140 for the martin logan logo on the box.