AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ground Wire From Turntable (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49902)

Audiophilehi 05-21-2021 11:36 AM

Ground Wire From Turntable

I have the Gold Note PS-10 phono preamp and PSU-10 external power supply. When adding a ground wire from my turntable should I hook up to the PS-10 or PSU-10?

audio bill 05-21-2021 02:09 PM

Grounding schemes with analog setups can sometimes be difficult, there are no hard and fast rules which consistently apply. Turntable grounds can simply be the tonearm's ground or in some cases include a ground to the table's bearing housing. Most likely the ground wire you're referring to would be to the tonearm and I'd suggest initially connecting it to the PS-10 phono preamp and listen for any detectable hum. If there's none you should be good to go, but if you still have some hum you could experiment by adding another ground wire between the PS-10 and the PSU-10 power supply. Listen for any audible hum to see if there's more or less to determine which scheme is the quietest. Some setups have the least hum with a 'floating ground' with the wire unconnected, so if you're having hum issues you can try that as well. I see you have a VPI and sometimes they don't require a separate ground wire connection. It's not an exact science. Good luck and hope I was able to help.

Audiophilehi 05-21-2021 04:25 PM

Thanks Bill.....I have no hum whatsoever without a ground wire. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone..

audio bill 05-22-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 1038736)
Thanks Bill.....I have no hum whatsoever without a ground wire. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone..

Seems like a sound decision, enjoy the tunes! :music:

80B 05-22-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 1038723)
Grounding schemes with analog setups can sometimes be difficult, there are no hard and fast rules which consistently apply. Turntable grounds can simply be the tonearm's ground or in some cases include a ground to the table's bearing housing. Most likely the ground wire you're referring to would be to the tonearm and I'd suggest initially connecting it to the PS-10 phono preamp and listen for any detectable hum. If there's none you should be good to go, but if you still have some hum you could experiment by adding another ground wire between the PS-10 and the PSU-10 power supply. Listen for any audible hum to see if there's more or less to determine which scheme is the quietest. Some setups have the least hum with a 'floating ground' with the wire unconnected, so if you're having hum issues you can try that as well. I see you have a VPI and sometimes they don't require a separate ground wire connection. It's not an exact science. Good luck and hope I was able to help.

This is a very good explanation about something that should be better documented. It acknowledges ambiguities, given the huge variety of situations that can arise in any given setup. The learning never ends! Thanks Bill