AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Let's see your turntable. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43)

two dot 04-08-2009 04:59 PM

Just thought that I would add a quick post.

I have the Linn Adikt MM pickup on my Linn Axis TT with a Basic tonearm. I really love the Adikt, just a REALLY great sounding cartridge for the money.

On my main rig, a LINN LP-12, ITTOK LVII arm, I have a Sumiko Blackbird, a great match for that arm and a wonderful sounding set up.

As much as I love my Linn's I must confess, that I have the upgrade bug a little, not for better sound mind you, just a newer table with some of the new tech built in...

My LP-12 has been upgraded quite a bit but certainly not "all the way".

gregswaim 04-08-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot (Post 1120)
Just thought that I would add a quick post.

I have the Linn Adikt MM pickup on my Linn Axis TT with a Basic tonearm. I really love the Adikt, just a REALLY great sounding cartridge for the money.

On my main rig, a LINN LP-12, ITTOK LVII arm, I have a Sumiko Blackbird, a great match for that arm and a wonderful sounding set up.

As much as I love my Linn's I must confess, that I have the upgrade bug a little, not for better sound mind you, just a newer table with some of the new tech built in...

My LP-12 has been upgraded quite a bit but certainly not "all the way".

I'm not sure how old your table is but the newer ones have a much better suspension than before and of course different choices for power supplies. I do know that my new LP12 sounds better that my old one that had the Ittok arm.

two dot 04-08-2009 05:27 PM

Mine is a very early one...

I have upgraded the power supply to Vahalla, replaced all of the springs, rebuilt the motor, I don't even know what all.

I wish that I had know that Linn was going to offer the Majik pkg.

I would rather have a new Majik than my old LP-12

1KW 04-08-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregswaim (Post 1003)
I'm not sure of your budget, but I would recommend checking out: Rega(budget tables with very good sound),Linn, SME, & Roksan. Pickups: Grado,Linn, Lyra,& Dynavector. Grado makes very good budget pickups: moving iron,moving magnet,& moving coils. These, like all pickups, have their own distinct sound.
Tonearms: Pro-Ject,Rega,Linn,& SME.
Pro-ject TT's gets honorable mention in the budget category,stay away from the lesser models as these are prone to various problems. The upper models are decent.
Just my $0.02. :D

I have a budget turntable now, Technic SL1200MKV with a AT440MLA cartridge. It sounds Ok. I like CD's and having a music server better, but since I have quite a few albums (few hundred) mostly from the 70's and 80's a new turntable is something to think about. I have heard that the Technics is better then most budget tables ie less than $1000.:scratch2:

gregswaim 04-08-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2uberoller (Post 1149)
I have a budget turntable now, Technic SL1200MKV with a AT440MLA cartridge. It sounds Ok. I like CD's and having a music server better, but since I have quite a few albums (few hundred) mostly from the 70's and 80's a new turntable is something to think about. I have heard that the Technics is better then most budget tables ie less than $1000.:scratch2:

You might want to do a A/B with your Technics against one of the the Rega Planar models- prices start around $450.00. I think that you'll be surprised as to how much better your records will sound. Linn dealers usually carry the Rega brand. ;)

KMC45 04-08-2009 11:00 PM

Here's my SME.

PHC1 04-08-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMC45 (Post 1342)
Here's my SME.

Excellent table. I wonder, does your dealer like the Graham arms over SME? :scratch2:

KMC45 04-08-2009 11:26 PM

He has them both, and he likes the Graham better. The Graham is also on the SME 30 in the store. But, to me I couldn't tell any difference. The Graham was available right then so I took it. I'm still waiting for the Graham cable, and i'm not good at waiting, so I might end up getting a SME IV from Sumiko just because.

PHC1 04-08-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMC45 (Post 1362)
He has them both, and he likes the Graham better. The Graham is also on the SME 30 in the store. But, to me I couldn't tell any difference. The Graham was available right then so I took it. I'm still waiting for the Graham cable, and i'm not good at waiting, so I might end up getting a SME IV from Sumiko just because.

I've heard rumors and these could be just rumors and nothing more that Graham's future is uncertain. :scratch2:

gregswaim 04-09-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMC45 (Post 1342)
Here's my SME.

Nice pixxx! :yes: