AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Best TOSLINK Cable (for Reasonable Money)? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51109)

Clark2 05-01-2022 03:46 PM

Best TOSLINK Cable (for Reasonable Money)?

What features do I actually need (and how much do I have to spend) to get a 3' cable that will carry 24 bit by 96 kHz PCM flawlessly? (24 bit by 192 kHz would be nice but might not be possible.)

I see mostly single-PMMA-fiber cables, sometimes braided with nylon and/or covered with multiple PVC jackets, but there are also some fantastically expensive cables containing many smaller fibers that claim to reduce jitter and scattering of the light beam inside the cable. Does any of this stuff except kink prevention and crimp protection really matter?

Experienced guidance much appreciated! -- Clark2

Masterlu 05-01-2022 06:38 PM

Hands down WW Super Nova Toslink; it’s all glass w/ polished ends. Very affordable, and even more so with my Subscriber Discount. ;)

“ A reference-quality optical digital cable, which utilizes 338 Borosilicate glass fiber optic conductors. The superior glass formulation and micro-polished ends provide improved clarity and dynamics that will thrill the most sophisticated listeners.”

Clark2 05-02-2022 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1059799)
Hands down WW Super Nova Toslink; it’s all glass w/ polished ends. Very affordable, and even more so with my Subscriber Discount. ;)...

Ivan -- I appreciate your recommendation, but (without any discount) that's as expensive as my Topping D50s DAC (intended to improve on the one internal to my BlueSound Node 2i streamer)!

I've already shelled out big bucks on new hybrid-electrostatic speakers (plus the preamp and amp to drive them), so I'm a bit short of cash just now. On the other hand, I'd like to reliably stream 24 bit X 192 kHz tracks... -- Clark2

Masterlu 05-02-2022 02:36 PM

Clark… without a quality cable, you won’t even hear the performance from the DAC you just bought.

Parabellum 05-03-2022 08:18 AM

In cabling I have always been highly satisfied with Kimber kable. I could recommend Kimber.OPT-1.

Brettf27 05-03-2022 09:57 AM

I agree with Ivan that a glass optical cable is the way to go. I have used Wireworld glass Toslinks with great success. If you prefer a mellower sound, a Chord Optichord is another excellent cable.

John49 05-03-2022 10:15 AM

How about Lifatec glass Toslink cables?

clpetersen 05-03-2022 10:50 AM

Hey Clark2 - since you mentioned 24/192 (about 10 Mb/s for 2 channel), I would go with Ivan's suggestion - this type of fiber will allow high bandwidths, and is better future proofing. It is also very low transmission loss and very bend-resistant. So, consider getting something a bit longer than your current needs.

FYI, TOSLINK audio now supports up to 15 Mb/s in newer devices (automotive and other applications support up to 125 Mb/s). So, the standard is being updated.

Clark2 05-03-2022 11:10 AM

Thanks, All, for the helpful input. (I see elsewhere in this forum that there are those who disagree there are significant differences among optical cable types...) Cheers! -- Clark2

Stahle 05-04-2022 10:16 PM

I like my Wireworld supernova toslink. I needed a longer cable which Ivan set me up with and so far the supernova has had no issues and sounds great.