AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Member System Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   New Hafler Transnova P3100 power amp in house (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48399)

Steady339 07-31-2020 01:52 AM

New Hafler Transnova P3100 power amp in house

Listening to my new Hafler Transnova P3100 power amp tonight. :banana:
The Hafler Transnova amp circuit sounds very special and is biased in class A for the first 5 watts but has the grip to control woofers on the orchestral dynamic peaks (150 watts per channel in class A/B into 8 ohms, and 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms). Very linear amp, but with low heat.

It sounds simply wonderfully natural with my PS Audio IV preamp in passive mode, Sony Blu-Ray/CD player, Eastern Electric Minimax plus DAC with Burson V6 discrete op amps, WireWorld Silver Eclipse/Electra cables into the Paradigm S1 v.3 with beryllium tweeters and Seismic 110 sub. I'm just so happy with this piece and the sound of my set up..

damacman 07-31-2020 11:14 AM

I was fortunate to work at Rockford while Jim Strickland was head of engineering. Brilliant mind indeed. His TransNova design work was a staple of our TOTL amps. The 9505 remains a favorite of mine. Rockford sold the hafler brand a while ago and I lost track of it. Nice to see a product as this carrying on the tradition. True to the source was always the mantra.

Steady339 07-31-2020 02:26 PM

damacman, the Hafler brand name was sold to a Canadian firm and is now a division of Radial Engineering Ltd. – is located in Port Coquitlam, a suburb of Vancouver, British Columbia. Their products are manufactured in Canada.

Soundmig 08-03-2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady339 (Post 1010294)
damacman, the Hafler brand name was sold to a Canadian firm and is now a division of Radial Engineering Ltd. – is located in Port Coquitlam, a suburb of Vancouver, British Columbia. Their products are manufactured in Canada.

FWIW - Radial makes some very well respected pro sound gear - known for robust design and superior sound quality relative to other similar gear in that arena.

Steady339 08-05-2020 03:34 AM

Soundmig, nice to know more about Radial’s good reputation. I’m sure enjoying the sound of their power amp in my system for the wide variety of music I listen to

Soundmig 08-07-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady339 (Post 1010652)
Soundmig, nice to know more about Radial’s good reputation. I’m sure enjoying the sound of their power amp in my system for the wide variety of music I listen to

Yes, you will find Radial direct boxes in many top level performers and higher-end sound contractors rigs. They are well built and have significantly better sound, headroom, band width and lower distortion than most other such devices used to connect instruments directly to mixing boards (via the stage to house mixer snake) vs. using an amp and mic. Radial DI's and other pro-sound devices are focused on quality - a little pricey but well worth it.