AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Hometown Section (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   A visit from Craig aka crwilli today! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46260)

Masterlu 07-16-2019 08:51 PM

A visit from Craig aka crwilli today!

Today I had a visit from Craig and his lovely wife Debbie. After a great lunch, and catching up for a bit, we went back to my Cape home to play some music.

It’s been quite a few years since Craig was here last, so there was lots of gear to listen to, and changes for them to take in.

We played most every system, and even made time for a Theater Demo with my Kaleidescape movie server.

Craig, thanks for swinging by today; I really enjoyed seeing you both again. :o

-E- 07-16-2019 09:08 PM

I saw he was up in Maine; figured he would *have* to stop by!

crwilli 07-16-2019 09:30 PM

What can be said that has not already been said? Ivan accepted my request to visit on less than 24 hours notice!! The consummate host of a wide variety of audio equipment displayed and configured with an impeccable attention to detail.

This is my third visit but perhaps fifth time in his ‘catwalk’ behind the wall of McIntosh. Even today I learned more tidbits about cable management and noise reduction. The details are simply incredible.

First listen for me, of the Canton K1 - Grandioso System and it did not disappoint. If I was shopping for new speakers, these would be on the short list. Visually impressive and beautifully finished in gloss black, they offer a well integrated top to bottom sound with very nice staging. They go deep and it would be a very large room that would require a subwoofer with them. Ivan emphasized how little he did to set them - other than the effort to get all 700 lbs upstairs! Placement requires little fuss. The ‘boss’ said they sounded very nice which is a ringing endorsement!

The Tad - Bryston/Esoteric and Aida - Burmester/Grandioso systems did not disappoint. Of course, to my ears, nothing I have ever heard competes with the Aida system. I simply love that sound and could have camped out with the remote and the iPad for hours.

The biggest surprise was the Bryston fully active system. It is in a small ‘weird’ room in Ivan’s words. It sounds great. I told Ivan he should label the door outside “The Art of the Possible” as I suspect a new audiophile with the funds but not the time, could simply buy the entire system, set it up in any normal room and start wowing their friends and family.

The Kaleidoscope sourced Theater with a hundred JL Audio subwoofers many thousands of watts of McIntosh power and tons of McIntosh speakers (just kidding) is simply spectacular. The room exudes calm quality and once the lights dim and the system starts playing, you very easily get lost in whatever is on the screen. It pulls you in.

I will just say to anyone within a day’s drive of the Cape. Go visit, it’s a no brainer. Live further away? Chances are the flight will be well worth it! You will be awakened to the Art of the Possible.

Thank you Ivan! Talk to you soon.

For The Love of Music 07-16-2019 09:48 PM

Kool stuff!

jdandy 07-16-2019 10:04 PM

Craig.......Thanks for the mini review of your Cape visit with Ivan. It is an audio and video wonderland.

bart 07-21-2019 11:08 AM

Late to the party.

Yes thank you Craig.
Your impressions are the same as mine.
Top systems, top house, top hosts! :thumbsup:

Masterlu 07-21-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 973722)
Late to the party.

Yes thank you Craig.
Your impressions are the same as mine.
Top systems, top house, top hosts! :thumbsup: