AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Hometown Section (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   DFWAC Meet #11 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44768)

joey_v 01-02-2019 05:02 PM

DFWAC Meet #11

Where: Albert Porter's House
When: January 15, 2019 (Tuesday) at ~6PM (TBD)

:thumbsup:

SL1800 01-02-2019 07:14 PM

[emoji106]

joey_v 01-02-2019 08:17 PM

There’s a lot who signed up.

So far:

1. Joey
2. George
3. Ed
4. Larry
5. Terry
6. Alex
7. Dan
8. Barry
9. Seph
10. Steve Nichols
11. Seph
12. Jon S.

joey_v 01-16-2019 07:57 PM

Another successful meet!

2fastdriving 01-17-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 949479)
Another successful meet!

That's it? No photos or details?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using New Forum mobile app

gadawg 01-17-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 949516)
That's it? No photos or details?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using New Forum mobile app

So we had the opportunity to listen to previous generation Focal Grand Utopia's with Allnic 500W monoblocks, the new Allnic Pre, an upgraded Studor Reel to Reel with quite a few master dupes, I forget what turntable but it was in a huge custom enclosure, and he was using Bricasti DAC for digital. Oh yeah and the Allnic Phono preamp as well. We had a big turn out as I think a lot of us wanted to not only hear the Grand Utopia's but I had not ever seen them in person ... WOW they are monsters! I think the Allnic equipment was very polarizing for our group ... maybe the most ever. Some really really liked it and others did not at all. We usually are a lot closer in opinions but not this night! Personal preferences aside we had a great host and a great evening. As Joey said .. another very successful meet. One note ... we did have dinner before the meet this time with wine and beer consumed ... wonder if that had any impact on our listening impressions? :D

George

audioguy3107 01-17-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 949537)
So we had the opportunity to listen to previous generation Focal Grand Utopia's with Allnic 500W monoblocks, the new Allnic Pre, an upgraded Studor Reel to Reel with quite a few master dupes, I forget what turntable but it was in a huge custom enclosure, and he was using Bricasti DAC for digital. Oh yeah and the Allnic Phono preamp as well. We had a big turn out as I think a lot of us wanted to not only hear the Grand Utopia's but I had not ever seen them in person ... WOW they are monsters! I think the Allnic equipment was very polarizing for our group ... maybe the most ever. Some really really liked it and others did not at all. We usually are a lot closer in opinions but not this night! Personal preferences aside we had a great host and a great evening. As Joey said .. another very successful meet. One note ... we did have dinner before the meet this time with wine and beer consumed ... wonder if that had any impact on our listening impressions? :D

George

Hey George, what do you all think of the Grand Utopias? We heard the new ones at RMAF this year in a less than ideal setting. I've always wanted to hear a pair of the big ones in a properly set up room.

- Buck

gadawg 01-17-2019 03:11 PM

Buck,

Unfortunately I was in the camp of not really liking the setup. I don’t think it was the speakers though because I heard focal maestros at a friends house that to me at least sounded far better so I I’ll say I’m still needing to hear the grand utopias also!

George

2fastdriving 01-17-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 949555)
Hey George, what do you all think of the Grand Utopias? We heard the new ones at RMAF this year in a less than ideal setting. I've always wanted to hear a pair of the big ones in a properly set up room.

- Buck

I've heard them EVERY year at RMAF and never liked them. I just don't understand why...they must be good? :scratch2:

audioguy3107 01-17-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 949580)
I've heard them EVERY year at RMAF and never liked them. I just don't understand why...they must be good? :scratch2:

Yeah, I'm your boat too, I've never liked the way they sound, I have no idea why since you would think they have to be excellent with all the positive (and price!) press they get. Damn those things were huge though at RMAF.

- Buck