AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   What are you Grilling? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   French Steaks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41255)

Formerly YB-2 11-20-2017 10:52 PM

French Steaks
 
Thought some might find this article interesting. We are headed to Paris for a week and will give one (or more) a try (though I'm really a fan of chicken w/sauces, pates and moules frites of various sorts). My grandson is a beefophile, so am sure he will try 3 or 4 and I'll sneak a taste.

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...nch-steak.html

John Jordan 11-22-2017 11:18 AM

Glenn-

We love Paris! Have a great time. Which district are you staying in?
One of our most favorite restaurants is Le Reminet near Notre Dame.

GaryProtein 11-22-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 881146)
Thought some might find this article interesting. We are headed to Paris for a week and will give one (or more) a try (though I'm really a fan of chicken w/sauces, pates and moules frites of various sorts). My grandson is a beefophile, so am sure he will try 3 or 4 and I'll sneak a taste.

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...nch-steak.html

In the NYT article, they talk about hanger steak (diaphragm). If you want the absolute, unquestionably BEST succulent juicy hanger steak you ever had, you must cook it sous vide to 130-135 degrees F (your choice for rare to medium rare) for about two hours, then grilled over a super hot pre-heated sear burner for no more than 45 seconds on each side. There are several good seasoning recipes for it on the internet. Be prepared for an orgasm in your mouth.

Mille162 10-29-2018 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 881146)
Thought some might find this article interesting. We are headed to Paris for a week and will give one (or more) a try (though I'm really a fan of chicken w/sauces, pates and moules frites of various sorts). My grandson is a beefophile, so am sure he will try 3 or 4 and I'll sneak a taste.



http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...nch-steak.html



The Les Halles steak frites has nursed many a hangover for me, was very disappointed when it closed.

To make at home, a big and well pre-heated cast iron pan is key. I also like to take the tougher cut of the diapragm, the skirt steak, and cook similar. No sauce needed, I slice it into very thin strips and make tacos with it.

Formerly YB-2 10-29-2018 08:34 PM

Sounds good. Skillet steak is highly under-rated. Same with fish of various ilks. Once you're happy with your technique (lots of butter & herbs) then it is tough to beat.

We did enjoy a couple of meals with the grandkids in the La Petite Périgourdine in the 5th. Hard to believe it will be a year this Thxgvg.

Ah, well. Moules frites for lunch tomorrow. Monk's Cafe on 16th. All ready thinking about which Belgium beer (Bart........ any help?).

EfeTe 10-29-2018 09:02 PM

You need to try a few Chouffe Soleil's!

Mille162 10-30-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 937865)
Sounds good. Skillet steak is highly under-rated. Same with fish of various ilks. Once you're happy with your technique (lots of butter & herbs) then it is tough to beat.

We did enjoy a couple of meals with the grandkids in the La Petite Périgourdine in the 5th. Hard to believe it will be a year this Thxgvg.

Ah, well. Moules frites for lunch tomorrow. Monk's Cafe on 16th. All ready thinking about which Belgium beer (Bart........ any help?).



I’m in Philly too, damn, always forget about Monk’s and end getting my french fix at Parc! Will def be heading over there soon for the same

Formerly YB-2 10-30-2018 04:01 PM

Our meeting ran so long that we did not get a chance to head down to Monk's. Another meeting on 11/9 and we'll try again. Gives me some time to figure out the extensive beer list.

seahug 02-24-2019 06:28 AM

As much as I love paris, it's just ok for steak. Tried it multiple times, including w foodie chef friend who sourced charolais beef.

For steak, IMHO better to side trip to florence and have aged chianina bistecca grilled over grape vines.

Mille162 02-24-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seahug (Post 954726)
As much as I love paris, it's just ok for steak. Tried it multiple times, including w foodie chef friend who sourced charolais beef.

For steak, IMHO better to side trip to florence and have aged chianina bistecca grilled over grape vines.



In France, the best “steak” is not from cattle, it’s a hybrid duck/goose. Try ordering Magret de Canard...prob my fav cut of meat. It’s the breast of the bird the best foie gras comes from; just like the engorged and fatty lobe, the breast gets a similar layer of fat over the entire breast. Who needs marbling when you’ve got that amazing layer of rendered down fat ontop with every bite!

In the states, you can get a similar duck breast from D’Artagnan. Score fat in diamond pattern and heavily season with salt/pepper. Cook fat aide down over med low heat till fat is rendered down and starts to brown. Drain fat into container and let cool (save for cooking later and use in place of butter of frying fat. Lasts months in freezer). Turn up heat and sear meat side for 2 min, then crisp up fat side 1-2 min till browned but not dried out (same consistency as thick cut bacon). Let sit on board 3-4 min before slicing. Should be served medium rare (think london broil). This should be thought of as beef, not poultry. If it’s not mostly pink, you’ve overcooked it and might as well be eating peking duck.

Take 1 tsp fat and put back in pan and sweat 1 large diced shallot. Add 1/2 cup red wine and deglaze pan, reduce and add 1 tsp demi-glace (also avail from D’Artagnon), salt and pepper to taste (white pepper if you have it). Let simmer and reduce by 1/2. Spoon over duck slices on the plate.

Whip up some mashed potatoes and finish with duck fat instead of butter, or pan sear fingerling potatoes fried in the duck fat. Sear up some sugar snap peas, asparagus slices, cauliflower/broccoli rice, veggie of choice in same duck fat.

1 3-4lb breast serves 2 people. Always cook up extra as slices make the best sandwich the next day!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2021 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.