AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Personal Introductions (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Hello from the Home of the Garbage Plate (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49384)

booangler 01-14-2021 02:40 PM

Hello from the Home of the Garbage Plate

Hi all,

Alan here from Rochester NY, where Kodak, Xerox, Wegman's, Bausch and Lomb, and the Garbage Plate all got their start. The first four are fairly straight forward, that last one is an experience. See the following for a description. https://www.visitrochester.com/blog/...garbage-plate/ Opinions very but Dogtown is the best modern version, and Nick's is still the best original version.

Anyway, I am here because I have finally purchased a SET amp, a used Dennis Had Inspire Fire-Bottle SE HO. Only have a couple of hours on it but it sounds really good to my ears. Mostly been a Kit guy up to this point a couple of Bottlehead pre-amps, Hagerman pre, and a chip amp. Looking forward to a mix of both going forward.

Besides audio, I like long walks but I once took an arrow to my knee so... Seriously though, in the spring, summer, and fall you'll find me on my motorcycle looking for twisty roads in NY PA and Ohio.

Cheers, Alan

Listen, Ride, Drag free Drift

PHC1 01-14-2021 04:35 PM

Welcome to AA Alan!

My parents lived in Rochester for nearly a decade so I would visit at least a few times a year. The drive over from Philly typically took 6 to 7 hrs but once in a while I would get caught up in a snowstorm and spend many hrs on the road just standing still. One time it was close to 20 hrs somewhere around the Finger Lakes, NY area... I was so glad when they moved South! :D

Anyways, I've always liked Rochester, very nice town. Don't recall ever trying the garbage plate but it sounds interesting. :scratch2:

Audio nirvana can be found in many different topologies but SET lends itself particularly well to pleasing the ear with the right speakers. :music:

As far as riding, long time motorcycle fan here with all kinds of bikes but I have not ridden is a few years now and am starting to miss it.

Welcome and have fun!

Antonmb 01-14-2021 04:51 PM

Cheers Alan, welcome aboard. As for the Garbage Plate, holy crap!

edkoz 01-14-2021 10:15 PM

Welcome Alan I have lived in the Rochester area (i live in the town of Penfield just a couple miles east of Rochester) since 1986 and have yet had the pleasure of trying the "garbage plate" Rochester is a great area to live in with a tremendous amount of thing to do and see.
Ed

SCAudiophile 01-15-2021 10:10 AM

Welcome Alan! Lived in Rochester '81 to '85, some great years there and lost track of the number of garbage plates of various types I had a Nick Tahou's in the old railroad station.

There is NO substitute for a Nick Tahou Main Street location original Hots or Cheeseburger or other GP,...NONE!

What made it even better in those early years was that Nick was still alive and he would walk around seemingly 24 hours a day and talk with everybody and tell the WORST jokes you ever heard but we loved it!

Nick's favorite repeat joke..."What did Santa Claus eat? HO HOs!!!", guess ya had to be there as the old saying goes.

Lots of late night pre-hangover and early morning post-hangover cures were consumed there. We would also just go in for lunch or dinner some days, as it was a great old place, lots of food and fun for very little money.

Other mainstays:

Captain Tony's Pizza..particularly the White Clam Pizza

Sal's Birdland

Country Sweet Chicken & Ribs

(Including the off-menu favorite "Death Birds")

Smitty's Ribs and Chicken
(And the sign on the wall with a toothless old man..."you all don't need no teeth to eat this here smoked meat!")

Elmwood Inn

Great memories of a great town!

booangler 01-15-2021 02:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Looking forward to spending time here, and making some new friends.

Best Alan

If you want to try your hand at a homemade plate I have good meat hot sauce recipe that I'd share.

SCAudiophile 01-15-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booangler (Post 1029360)
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Looking forward to spending time here, and making some new friends.

Best Alan

If you want to try your hand at a homemade plate I have good meat hot sauce recipe that I'd share.

Accepting recipes for Nicky Tahou sauce gladly via IM here [emoji2]

booangler 01-15-2021 04:30 PM

Inbound

SCAudiophile 01-15-2021 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booangler (Post 1029370)
Inbound

Thanks!

booangler 01-15-2021 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edkoz (Post 1029317)
Welcome Alan I have lived in the Rochester area (i live in the town of Penfield just a couple miles east of Rochester) since 1986 and have yet had the pleasure of trying the "garbage plate" Rochester is a great area to live in with a tremendous amount of thing to do and see.
Ed

Small World Ed, I'm in Penfield too