AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MCT 500 a nice piece of gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50022)

Charles 07-04-2021 01:23 AM

MCT 500 a nice piece of gear

Just connected my new MCT 500 into the system. Sounds great. Very pleased. Pics posted in the Mac gallery.

https://i.imgur.com/CrgpMmwh.jpg

Best

Charles

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

miner 07-04-2021 03:53 PM

McIntosh makes very capable digital transport and playback gear. Enjoy your new MCT500!

Bob Bubeck 07-05-2021 02:30 PM

>> Just connected my new MCT 500 into the system. Sounds great. Very pleased. <<

There is a good deal of agreement about the MCT500. See:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49679

Enjoy!

Bob
__________________________________________________ ____________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.

Charles 07-05-2021 03:11 PM

Thanks to all. Like a little kid, which for a not insignificant part I am, I've been listening non stop for hours. I really like this transport. It has a crystalline quality. If I had to describe it in a phrase: "transparency without edge". This has resulted in an additional expense: a new WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for my incoming MVP 901.

Best

Charles

Charles 07-06-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck (Post 1040995)
>> Just connected my new MCT 500 into the system. Sounds great. Very pleased. <<

There is a good deal of agreement about the MCT500. See:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49679

Enjoy!

Bob
__________________________________________________ ____________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.

Bob I just read the review. Certainly very favorable. The MVP 901 has also received a very favorable review. It led to my ordering the expensive coaxial digital cable. I think it superior to the optical cable. I think the MCT connection a real winner. In my opinion with the MCT there really is no need for another digital connection. SACD on the Mac with the MCT is fabulous.

Best

Charles

p.s. I can't believe how expensive these AQ coaxial cables are. Fortunately, the 901 will set just above the D1100 so .75 meter will work. I sat there wondering if I could live with a Wild but then I knew I couldn't.

substance 07-07-2021 02:13 PM

MCT connector sends the clock, bi-phase, and word signals on separate balanced pairs therefore avoids the SPDIF conversion in the digital coax and Toslink. A lot less jitter and much better noise rejection. Sony doesn’t allow DSD to be transported over SPDIF for copy-write concerns. MCT is a nice work around this too.

Great machine! I am looking to add one soon too. I wish D1100 had multiple MCT inputs.

Charles 07-08-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by substance (Post 1041073)
MCT connector sends the clock, bi-phase, and word signals on separate balanced pairs therefore avoids the SPDIF conversion in the digital coax and Toslink. A lot less jitter and much better noise rejection. Sony doesn’t allow DSD to be transported over SPDIF for copy-write concerns. MCT is a nice work around this too.

Great machine! I am looking to add one soon too. I wish D1100 had multiple MCT inputs.

substance, thank you for this information. I could not be more pleased with the MCT 500. I particularly like the AES/EBU output. I think it superior to coaxial and at least on par with the MCT but this with a WEL cable that costs 10 times as much. Some expensive transports that use a specialized connection only offer as an option, an additional coaxial output, no AES/EBU. With the MCT 500 you get both. I will be interested to see how the MVP 901 sounds through the coaxial digital output with a WEL digital cable as opposed to my current setup: MVP 881 through AQ Diamond optical cable to D1100. :yes:

p.s. However, I did not purchase the WEL digital cable. I received it as a gift from my dealer. Very unexpected. I listen to CD's through it. If you AB it with the MCT (easy to do) you couldn't tell any difference. The MCT is that good.

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport
Sources: McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

JurisHP 07-08-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1040925)
Just connected my new MCT 500 into the system. Sounds great. Very pleased. Pics posted in the Mac gallery.

https://i.imgur.com/CrgpMmwh.jpg

Best

Charles

I have the same one...GREAT unit!

Masterlu 07-08-2021 05:49 PM

JurisHP… Welcome to AA! :wave:

streetspirit 07-08-2021 10:17 PM

Charles, big congrats on the new gear! Great pic and I’m sure it sounds fantastic!

Mitch

Charles 07-09-2021 11:40 AM

Thank everyone so much. It really is a great piece. I can tell you that the MCT connection is fabulous. If I had not been given the WEL digital XLR, there would be no way to know this. Certainly an AES/EBU with a WEL is among the highest quality connection. It's easy for me to AB it with the MCT. I can hear no difference. There is zero difference in the volume level between the two inputs. My XVX is super high resolution. There is no difference. Amazing, and very good for folks that desire to make it their main digital output. It's like saving 4K and it passes both SACD and CD. In the overall scope of things, a C1100 pre, D1100 DAC/pre, MCT500, is competitive with anything on the market, and more than competitive when you consider price. Add vibration control with Stillpoints or Wilson Pedestals, superior power cord and conditioner, and dedicated line, and you have a system that can match much higher priced systems. The important thing is to find the sound signatures you like. I like Mac, AQ, and Wilson, but there are many others out there. If you don't, you will never be happy. I kept my MCD1100 and MVP881 for 10 years: wonderful pieces and still work perfectly, though I sold My MCD1100.

Best

Charles

UFTE 07-19-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks to all. Like a little kid, which for a not insignificant part I am, I've been listening non stop for hours. I really like this transport. It has a crystalline quality. If I had to describe it in a phrase: "transparency without edge". This has resulted in an additional expense: a new WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for my incoming MVP 901.

Best

Charles
You will have to let me know how this goes please. I tried digital coaxial from my MVP901 to C2700 DAC and could not get sound. I’m not sure if the hdmi to my receiver overrides it or something? I tried switching direction on the cable, turning the receiver off, etc. I run XLR to the C2700 without issue, as well as usb from my Mac mini. I also disable the pass thru, so not sure what the deal is:scratch2:

-Ryan

Charles 07-20-2021 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFTE (Post 1041781)
You will have to let me know how this goes please. I tried digital coaxial from my MVP901 to C2700 DAC and could not get sound. I’m not sure if the hdmi to my receiver overrides it or something? I tried switching direction on the cable, turning the receiver off, etc. I run XLR to the C2700 without issue, as well as usb from my Mac mini. I also disable the pass thru, so not sure what the deal is:scratch2:

-Ryan

Ryan, thanks for the tip. I have texted my dealer and will call Mac. This would be very serious. My 881 plays everything nicely through the optical output to my D1100. It never occurred to me that it would not do the same through the coaxial. I looked at both OM's and the description concerning the digital outputs is identical. I also have a MVP 851 DVD player that plays the audio nicely through the coaxial output to the coaxial input of my D1100. This would be a significant change if the MVP 901 would not do the same.

Best and thanks,

Charles

UFTE 07-20-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Ryan, thanks for the tip. I have texted my dealer and will call Mac. This would be very serious. My 881 plays everything nicely through the optical output to my D1100. It never occurred to me that it would not do the same through the coaxial. I looked at both OM's and the description concerning the digital outputs is identical. I also have a MVP 851 DVD player that plays the audio nicely through the coaxial output to the coaxial input of my D1100. This would be a significant change if the MVP 901 would not do the same.

Best and thanks,

Charles
Thanks Charles...again, I am curious what they have to say. I tried changing sound settings, etc in the MVP901 settings menu along with what I note above. Not quite sure what the deal is. Everything else works, so it is strange:

MVP901 - C2700 via XLR - OK
MVP901 - MX122 - C2700 (pass thru) via HDMI - OK
C2700 - Mac Mini via USB - OK
MVP901 - C2700 (no pass thru) via Digital Coax - Not OK

-Ryan

brownbear 07-20-2021 10:48 PM

Is the particular Coax input on your C2700 switched on in your settings menu?

UFTE 07-20-2021 11:03 PM

Quote:

Is the particular Coax input on your C2700 switched on in your settings menu?
Not sure. I only toggle through the inputs (Balaced 1-3, Unbalanced 1-4, USB, Coax 1-2, etc). I have the coaxial cable in question hooked up to Coax 1 in the DAC. Unless you mean there is another settings menu that I access? The C2700 is kind of new to me, so apologies for my not knowing!

-Ryan

UFTE 07-20-2021 11:14 PM

Yes…all inputs show On in the menu. I see where you are talking about now.

-Ryan

Charles 07-21-2021 12:59 AM

Ryan, I have the answer. I have cancelled the MVP 901 order. The MVP 881 is the last Mac BR that will send a BR or DVD digital signal to the D1100. Thankfully, I did not sell my 881. It's working fine. I will use the WEL digital coaxial cable (arriving tomorrow) with it and change out the Best Buys digital coaxial to the AQ Diamond optical for my MVP 851 DVD Player. I also have a set of Wilson Pedestals coming in for the MVP 851. The 851 is an excellent unit and a keeper. I think the WEL digital coaxial better sonically than the AQ Diamond optical. There should be zero difference in the picture or audio between the 881 and 901, the difference being in the processing speed of the transport. The 881 is slow. This will be my source gear for a long time.

Thank you Ryan!

Best,

Charles

substance 07-21-2021 02:06 AM

The 881 is a rebadged Denon DVD-A1UDCI. McIntosh replaced the stock power supply but the rest remains the same which is fine because A1UDCI was a benchmark and a statement product from Denon. It has the AKM magic dacs. I believe the 881 was also the last player with built in HDCD decoding.

The 851 is a rebadged Panasonic RP-91. McIntosh replaced the stock power supply and added balanced analog output. RP-91 was the benchmark DVD player for many years. It has an excellent transport and a Chroma Bug free MPEG decoder.

The 891 is based on Denon DBT-4010 but I don’t know the changes. The 901 is a rebadged Oppo BDT-101CI with upgraded power supply and added balanced analog output.

UFTE 07-21-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Ryan, I have the answer. I have cancelled the MVP 901 order. The MVP 881 is the last Mac BR that will send a BR or DVD digital signal to the D1100. Thankfully, I did not sell my 881. It's working fine. I will use the WEL digital coaxial cable (arriving tomorrow) with it and change out the Best Buys digital coaxial to the AQ Diamond optical for my MVP 851 DVD Player. I also have a set of Wilson Pedestals coming in for the MVP 851. The 851 is an excellent unit and a keeper. I think the WEL digital coaxial better sonically than the AQ Diamond optical. There should be zero difference in the picture or audio between the 881 and 901, the difference being in the processing speed of the transport. The 881 is slow. This will be my source gear for a long time.

Thank you Ryan!

Best,

Charles
That is good news Charles. So your findings were that the MVP901 will not send signal to your D1100 via digital coax? If true, I wonder if this is the same then for the C2700? If this is the case on both, that is very strange. Signal should be signal I would think. I might have to give a call to my dealer to see if they can confirm too. Thanks again for your feedback and apologies if I took your thread on a detour;)

-Ryan

Charles 07-21-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFTE (Post 1041862)
That is good news Charles. So your findings were that the MVP901 will not send signal to your D1100 via digital coax? If true, I wonder if this is the same then for the C2700? If this is the case on both, that is very strange. Signal should be signal I would think. I might have to give a call to my dealer to see if they can confirm too. Thanks again for your feedback and apologies if I took your thread on a detour;)

-Ryan

This is from the mouth of the design engineer. There is no question, there is no doubt about this. It's a big deal to open up a piece of Mac gear, hook it up, and no sound. Who would have guessed it? Thank you again for taking the time to inform me and AA of this. If you have a conventional pre and a spare XLR input, no problem. I don't and never plan to. This makes my 881 and 851 very valuable to me. I don't want other gear in my rack other than Mac. It ruins the look. I am so glad I didn't sell the 881 or 851. My dealer would have refunded my money but reacquiring sold used gear is another story altogether.

Best and many thanks!

Charles

Charles 07-21-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by substance (Post 1041853)
The 881 is a rebadged Denon DVD-A1UDCI. McIntosh replaced the stock power supply but the rest remains the same which is fine because A1UDCI was a benchmark and a statement product from Denon. It has the AKM magic dacs. I believe the 881 was also the last player with built in HDCD decoding.

The 851 is a rebadged Panasonic RP-91. McIntosh replaced the stock power supply and added balanced analog output. RP-91 was the benchmark DVD player for many years. It has an excellent transport and a Chroma Bug free MPEG decoder.

The 891 is based on Denon DBT-4010 but I don’t know the changes. The 901 is a rebadged Oppo BDT-101CI with upgraded power supply and added balanced analog output.

substance, thank you for the information. I don't know why I wanted to sell the 881 in the first place. Well, I do. I wanted to get all gear relatively the same age and at my age waiting 3-4 years was a poorer option. Who would have guessed this idiosyncrasy?

Best,

Charles

UFTE 07-21-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

I don't want other gear in my rack other than Mac. It ruins the look.
Very true my friend:)

-Ryan

kingofstoneage 07-27-2021 03:14 PM

My MCT500 is way better than my old MCT450

The MCT450 had some reading problems…..

Charles 07-28-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFTE (Post 1041865)
Very true my friend:)

-Ryan

Ryan, I'm heading over in about 5 minutes to pick up my WEL coaxial cable for the MVP 881. I'm sure Mac had a reason for this quirk. This shows the value of AA. I don't know what I would have done had I given the dealer my MVP 881.

Also, to kingofstoneage, this is great to know. I probably would have ordered a 500 anyway but you never know. Ridiculous I know, but I like "500" so much better than "450" and the new model also. It's also good for folks wanting a used MCT 500 vs 450.

Best and thanks again,

Charles