AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Accuphase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Footers for Accuphase E-650 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51375)

essrand 07-19-2022 02:26 PM

Footers for Accuphase E-650

Hello,

Has anyone tried footers or amp stands or any vibrations-free platforms for the E-650? Does it benefit from changing the stock footers or introduction of a Vibration-free platform of any sort.
I love my E-650, but was wondering if any audiophile footers/platforms might give me a tad more clarity and transparency.

Thanks,
Bhaskar

mblssmp2 07-19-2022 09:30 PM

Yes, I have invested quite significantly in reducing effects of mechanical vibration and it has an incredible impact. If done correctly, it does lower the background noise floor, which of course is already very good with Accuphase but can be taken to a much higher level, without taking the energy out of the system. So the energy then goes into the signal you are interested in instead of increasing background. Cheers. Michael

Puma Cat 07-20-2022 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essrand (Post 1064037)
Hello,

Has anyone tried footers or amp stands or any vibrations-free platforms for the E-650? Does it benefit from changing the stock footers or introduction of a Vibration-free platform of any sort.
I love my E-650, but was wondering if any audiophile footers/platforms might give me a tad more clarity and transparency.

Thanks,
Bhaskar

Yes, reducing the impact of vibration will likely have a positive impact on audio quality.

As for footers, my favorite "overall" are the EVPs from A/V Roomservice. I've found these to perform as the best footer over the widest range of applications (put a set under your subwoofer, if you have one, sometime. Wow.).

The other footers I like are the SSF-38 and SSF-50s from Shunyata Research. For example, a set of three just resting under my First Sound Presence Deluxe preamp, without being affixed by screws, are the best footers I've found for that unit. They also work really well under the Shunyata power distributors, which is what they were designed for; they provide a notable audible improvement in that application, as well.

The HRS Nimbus couplers and spacers work quite well, also; I've found they function best under amps and some preamps (in particular preamps with thin sheet metal chassis).

Lots of folks like Stillpoints, but I've personally found that they best work in what I would classify as a limited set of applications. In my case, they only work best under my SOtM network bridge, which also has a thin steel chassis. In my extperience they are not the "be-all and end-all" of vibration-mitigating footers, so best to try before you buy, as they are expensive.

Another footer that folks like are the ISOAcoustics GAIA series, and you can get these that are specifically designed for the weight of your specific component or speaker. I've been meaning to try these for some time, now.

Last, a vibration-reducing footer that I've also found works quite well in a fairly broad range of applications are the Herbie's Audlo Labs Tenderfoot. They're inexpensive at only $16/each, and they are quite versatile. I use 'em under my EtherREGEN and Keces P3, for example. Don't let their low price or appearance put you off, they are quite effective.

How about...some data? Here's a comparison I did a while back, comparing different footers in mitigating vibration in the Z dimension (vertical deflection), measured as imparted power, RMS using the Vibsensor app on my (now sold) Schiit Gungnir DAC resting on my audio rack shelf. You see that the EVPs, with the blue trace, performed the best, by far, but even the Herbie's Tenderfeet (TF) were better than the stock feet (green trace) on the Schiit Gungnir DAC. DVT are the Diversitech pads; these are also not optimal, as they are designed for much heavier loads than the DAC (e.g. washing machines, etc). But the EVPs are clearly better than any of the other footers in this experiment, and by a ways.

https://photos.imageevent.com/puma_c...%20footers.jpg

Formerly YB-2 07-20-2022 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1064060)
Yes, reducing the impact of vibration will likely have a positive impact on audio quality.

Another footer that folks like are the ISOAcoustics GAIA series, and you can get these that are specifically designed for the weight of your specific component or speaker. I've been meaning to try these for some time, now.

Last, a vibration-reducing footer that I've also found works quite well in a fairly broad range of applications are the Herbie's Audlo Labs Tenderfoot. They're inexpensive at only $16/each, and they are quite versatile. I use 'em under my EtherREGEN and Keces P3, for example. Don't let their low price or appearance put you off, they are quite effective.

I've got a set of IsoAcoustics Orea footers under my TT and they are quite effective, but have not compared them to anything other than these cork pads https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Equ...1&s=aht&sr=1-1.

Also, have Herbie's Tenderfoot pads between my monitor speakers and the stand and they do a much better job then the elastomer thingies (an audiophile term) that came with the speakers.

And, thanks for the reminder. Just ordered a set of Herbie's Booties to go under my phono-preamp.

Puma Cat 07-20-2022 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1064061)
I've got a set of IsoAcoustics Orea footers under my TT and they are quite effective, but have not compared them to anything other than these cork pads https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Equ...1&s=aht&sr=1-1.

Also, have Herbie's Tenderfoot pads between my monitor speakers and the stand and they do a much better job then the elastomer thingies (an audiophile term) that came with the speakers.

And, thanks for the reminder. Just ordered a set of Herbie's Booties to go under my phono-preamp.

Yeah, the Tenderfoot "footers" actually work quite well. And they're cheap at only 16 bucks/ea. I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement they brought when I put them under my EtherREGEN.

The cork and rubber pads are designed for MUCH heavier loads, essentially washers and dryers and appliances of similar weight. They are too stiff to be effective in audio applications.

mblssmp2 07-23-2022 09:47 PM

Maybe just to add, mechanical isolation can lift lift let's say your entry level Accuphase CD player well above the next level up SACD player where such mechanical isolation is not been taken care of.

I have to admit that I have heavily invested in the last few years in HiFi rack and additional small components to further isolate electronics, speakers and power distribution block. I have done this because my HiFi dealer was able to demonstrate to me the immense benefit of this instead of chasing an upgrade of an electronic. In this case the big advancements have come from some materials development in form of an acrylic/PEEK composite, which creates a relatively high strength material (enabling the elimination of any metal) with enormous damping quality. It is often argued that the interfaces in composites contributes greatly to damping properties though PEEK as the 'reinforcing' agent here might also play a critical role.

Of course, this is just one example and I am sure others are aware of other great developments.