AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vinyl & Accessories (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   My new record acquisition regimen (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51215)

Maks 05-29-2022 12:02 PM

My new record acquisition regimen

I'm doing a cleaning session on a backlog of 45s I bought during the pandemic and figured I'd share my routine of new acquisitions.

New or used, records go into the KLaudio, generally a 3 minute wash and 3 minute dry cycle. If they're older records I may crank the wash cycle up to 4 minutes, but I don't buy beat up records so that's a little rare but a longer cycle helps with 50+ year old vinyl.

For 7"s I use Sleeve City's standard 7" poly lined inner sleeves, if the record was bought in a plain white sleeve that's the full treatment it gets. If it came with an original label sleeve or pic sleeve it goes into a Sleeve City 2.5mil outer. I've got some samples of their Diskeeper inners but haven't ordered any yet.

For 10"s they go into Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile inners and whatever generic outers I picked up from a record store.

And lastly 12"s go into MoFi inners and either the Sleeve City 2.5 mil outers or the 5.0 mil gatefold outers.

I generally try to add anything new into my Discogs collection as well, but sometimes if a record has had 75 pressings I just give up as it can be a hassle.

I'm interested to hear what others do with new acquisitions. :music:

joel_hifi 05-29-2022 12:18 PM

Degritter Medium cleaning for most vinyls, except new ones get a short Quick clean and the very dirty ones from the flea market get the longer Heavy one.

I usually also manually clean the sleeves when the LPs are not new. And I keep the wrap on new records. Then MoFi Inner and Outer Sleeves, no exception. I fold them the Japanese way, I like their logic.

Finally a nice listen to the album. While listening I update my Discogs collection as well as my Excel spreadsheet. And off to the Ikea Kallax shelves... until next time!

Antonmb 05-29-2022 01:35 PM

All albums get cleaned in the Audio Desk cleaner, then get treated with Last Record Preservative (been using this for more years than I can remember). If they came in paper or cardboard inner sleeves, they go in a Mobile Fidelity inner sleeve and then get put back in their jacket. I don't use any outer poly sleeves and all cellophane comes off the jacket - I know my collection of ~1,100 is small by some standards, but storage space is at a premium and at my age life is too short to worry about keeping the jacket pristine[emoji16].

I add all albums to my CLZ Music cataloging software.

Maks 05-29-2022 01:49 PM

I keep the shrink on most of my albums, gatefolds excluded. If I run into something older where the shrink is starting to, well, shrink too much and warp the jacket I'll remove it. I cut out the hype stickers and put them into the jacket.

thughes 05-30-2022 11:33 AM

Quote:

Then MoFi Inner and Outer Sleeves, no exception. I fold them the Japanese way, I like their logic.
???

Antonmb 05-30-2022 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 1061274)
I cut out the hype stickers and put them into the jacket.

Good idea.

FreddieFerric 06-04-2022 09:09 AM

I limp by with my lowly HW 16.5. I do recomment the MOFI sleeves. I do need to upgrade to a good ultrasonic system though. Standing there and cleaning a group of records on the VPI is hell on my lower back. :tears:

Still, it's gratifying to see the quality of the new vinyl is so vastly superior to the stuff from the mid '70's and 80's.

prepress 08-04-2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1061550)
I limp by with my lowly HW 16.5. I do recomment the MOFI sleeves. I do need to upgrade to a good ultrasonic system though. Standing there and cleaning a group of records on the VPI is hell on my lower back. :tears:

Still, it's gratifying to see the quality of the new vinyl is so vastly superior to the stuff from the mid '70's and 80's.

I had visions of a VPI Cyclone at one point, but I'm not playing records much, so I think I'll stick with my 16.5. Still going strong.

That said, I've begun to buy records again, despite having played very few in the last few years. Yesterday there was a guy selling records in a small park near my building. On impulse, I stopped and ended up with a sealed copy of Riding with the King and an old Georgia Gibbs LP, Swingin' with Her Nibs. The GG album will get cleaned, put in a Discwasher V.R.P. or Mofi sleeve and the jacket into a sleeve as well. The Clapton/BB King LP (didn't know it was 2LPs) will get the same treatment when I get around to playing it. For now it stays shrink-wrapped. The shrink wrap does have one torn corner, but I'm not concerned. The GG album has no sleeve, so it gets dealt with first.

Formerly YB-2 08-06-2022 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1061550)
Standing there and cleaning a group of records on the VPI is hell on my lower back. :tears:

To say nothing of your ears (kept my HW 16.5 for about 2-wks before giving up on the noise).

FreddieFerric 08-09-2022 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1064607)
To say nothing of your ears (kept my HW 16.5 for about 2-wks before giving up on the noise).

Nothing quiet about that machine Glenn. Everyone in the house knows what you're up to. :yes: