AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Isolation, Tips & Tweaks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Grounding Solution? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50900)

JoeN 02-22-2022 11:10 PM

Grounding Solution?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

My system has broken in nicely, and I don’t think I have any problems. It’s amazing to say the least. However, when it come pS to noise at times you don’t know it’s there until it’s gone.

So, I’m going to try some grounding solutions for my gear (Pass Labs 260.8s, EMM PRE, DA2V2, TX2; Aurender N30SA, ACS10, VAC Phono Pre, and a J. Sikora TT).

I use a Shunyata Everest for a power conditioner. It has four CGS terminals supporting the connection of up to 12 audio components. It’s more than enough, but I desire to take it up another level, or two.

From the little research I’ve done, the options for something quality seem rather limited - SR and Nordost. I understand Shunyata is coming out with something new soon. Attached is a pic of the rear of the Everest.

Any thoughts?

PeterMusic 02-23-2022 12:08 AM

I have Nordost QKore and QBase with a Frey 2 to the wall. It makes a huge difference in lowering noise floor, increasing detail and separation. You can hear it like flipping a switch. Even better--unlike most high end upgrades (switching amps, speakers, etc)--there is no sacrifice in any other aspect of sound. It's awesome!

As with all this stuff, I recommend a home demo before buying.

JoeN 02-23-2022 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1055893)
I have Nordost QKore and QBase with a Frey 2 to the wall. It makes a huge difference in lowering noise floor, increasing detail and separation. You can hear it like flipping a switch. Even better--unlike most high end upgrades (switching amps, speakers, etc)--there is no sacrifice in any other aspect of sound. It's awesome!

As with all this stuff, I recommend a home demo before buying.

Many, many thanks. Yes, I’m working with my dealer to get a home demo. I just have to tell him what I desire. Thanks again.

W9TR 02-23-2022 10:12 AM

Shunyata is coming out with a new audio grounding system. They previewed it the Florida Audio Expo. It will be available this summer.

JoeN 02-23-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1055902)
Shunyata is coming out with a new audio grounding system. They previewed it the Florida Audio Expo. It will be available this summer.

Yes, I heard something about that. Do you know any details? Since the rest of my system is Shunayta (which is exceptional) this may be the best way to go. Many thanks.

crwilli 02-23-2022 01:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two products. Both called Altaira. One is a Chassis Ground and the other is for Signal Ground. Estimated to be $2500 each.

Attachment 66748Attachment 66749

JoeN 02-23-2022 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1055913)
Two products. Both called Altaira. One is a Chassis Ground and the other is for Signal Ground. Estimated to be $2500 each.

Attachment 66748Attachment 66749

Many thanks for the pics. These are very helpful. :thumbsup:

Puma Cat 02-23-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1055890)
Hello,

My system has broken in nicely, and I don’t think I have any problems. It’s amazing to say the least. However, when it come pS to noise at times you don’t know it’s there until it’s gone.

So, I’m going to try some grounding solutions for my gear (Pass Labs 260.8s, EMM PRE, DA2V2, TX2; Aurender N30SA, ACS10, VAC Phono Pre, and a J. Sikora TT).

I use a Shunyata Everest for a power conditioner. It has four CGS terminals supporting the connection of up to 12 audio components. It’s more than enough, but I desire to take it up another level, or two.

From the little research I’ve done, the options for something quality seem rather limited - SR and Nordost. I understand Shunyata is coming out with something new soon. Attached is a pic of the rear of the Everest.

Any thoughts?

Joe,
I don't know when the Altaira Ground Hub systems will be released to market, but you already have a very effective ground-plane noise reduction system on your Everest power distributor that you can use right now. And, there are 4 ground terminals that connect to this system that can be used. So, I would encourage folks to use that system. It was put there for a reason.

In my experience, even connecting a single cable from a component or device to the GP-NR of my Everest results in a notable decrease in the noise floor and a concomitant increase in audio quality. As an example, I was fairly shocked at the improvement that simply connecting a Venom ground cable from my UpTone Audio EtherREGEN's ground terminal to the Everest GP-NR provided. An audio buddy who did the same thing recently also noted a significant improvement. I also have a Lumin P1 in for review and I also connected a Delta ground cable from it's ground terminal to the GP-NR of Everest and it also brought yet another notable level of improvement to the system, just as connecting the ER did. So, if you have a ground terminal or fastener on the chassis of your components that connects to chassis ground*, by all means connect those components to the GP-NR system of your Everest There more components that can be connected will result in additive results in lower the noise floor of the overall system. So, if you can connect say, your DAC, your preamp, your amp, etc., by all means do so. If your component does not have chassis ground terminal you can use a faster on the chassis, or if that is not possible, you can use the (outer) barrel of an RCA connector if you do a simple test with an Ohm meter to confirm connection to chassis ground (I can provide a protocol to do this, if needed, just let me know).

You already have a very good ground-plane noise reduction system on your Everest, so I'd encourage you to use it until the Altaira products are released to the market. Once those Ground Hubs are released, you will also need to connect them to your Everest, anyway. :thumbsup:

•-A chassis ground is a ground-collection point that connects to the metal enclosure of an electrical device. A chassis ground may be used for shielding and grounding to prevent electrical shock. Mains’ earth ground and the (theoretically) 0V power rails are all tied together and connected to the chassis at that one point. A chassis ground is typically only made at one point. This prevents a return current path through an available but undesirable means and prevents current circulating through the chassis.

JoeN 02-23-2022 06:27 PM

PC,

Many, many thanks. This is very useful information. Thanks for the update on what I’m sure will be an amazing product. I’m excited to say the least. I didn’t think my system could get any better. However, I think I’m in for a few more smiles. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1055923)
Joe,
I don't know when the Altaira Ground Hub systems will be released to market, but you already have a very effective ground-plane noise reduction system on your Everest power distributor that you can use right now. And, there are 4 ground terminals that connect to this system that can be used. So, I would encourage folks to use that system. It was put there for a reason.

In my experience, even connecting a single cable from a component or device to the GP-NR of my Everest results in a notable decrease in the noise floor and a concomitant increase in audio quality. As an example, I was fairly shocked at the improvement that simply connecting a Venom ground cable from my UpTone Audio EtherREGEN's ground terminal to the Everest GP-NR provided. An audio buddy who did the same thing recently also noted a significant improvement. I also have a Lumin P1 in for review and I also connected a Delta ground cable from it's ground terminal to the GP-NR of Everest and it also brought yet another notable level of improvement to the system, just as connecting the ER did. So, if you have a ground terminal or fastener on the chassis of your components that connects to chassis ground*, by all means connect those components to the GP-NR system of your Everest There more components that can be connected will result in additive results in lower the noise floor of the overall system. So, if you can connect say, your DAC, your preamp, your amp, etc., by all means do so. If your component does not have chassis ground terminal you can use a faster on the chassis, or if that is not possible, you can use the (outer) barrel of an RCA connector if you do a simple test with an Ohm meter to confirm connection to chassis ground (I can provide a protocol to do this, if needed, just let me know).

You already have a very good ground-plane noise reduction system on your Everest, so I'd encourage you to use it until the Altaira products are released to the market. Once those Ground Hubs are released, you will also need to connect them to your Everest, anyway. :thumbsup:

•-A chassis ground is a ground-collection point that connects to the metal enclosure of an electrical device. A chassis ground may be used for shielding and grounding to prevent electrical shock. Mains’ earth ground and the (theoretically) 0V power rails are all tied together and connected to the chassis at that one point. A chassis ground is typically only made at one point. This prevents a return current path through an available but undesirable means and prevents current circulating through the chassis.

Nils 06-07-2022 11:55 AM

Hi there!

I am currently using my Everest's CGS as a star-schema chassis ground - it definitely helps to reduce the noise floor and improve SQ.

It is interesting to see that the quality of the grounding cables definitely plays a role here as well - as always, everything impacts SQ and the better SQ you have the smaller changes you will be able to detect.

Now eagerly waiting for the Altaira SG-NR Hub (SGC) to become available - I hope I can keep on using my Everest for chassis ground and only add the Altaira for signal ground. As stated above - MRSP will be about 2 500 US $ + cables.
Cables will have screw-on interfaces so you add the desired interface (spade, banana, ...)