AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Analog Pressings (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   New Steely Dan Remasters (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51168)

Formerly YB-2 05-19-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 1060738)
I get that, yet 1-2 songs/side gets to be more bothersome than any sonic improvement is worth, except on a very few favorites, IMO. Of course, YMMV.

The fact my listening position is one very comfortable recliner has nothing to do with this opinion... :D

Just need to move your TT next to your recliner so you don't need to get up to flip sides. With a bit of practice, feel sure you can safely flip the LP without any danger to the stylus/cantilever. :thumbsup: ;)

That said, I'll likely stick with 33s.

Antonmb 05-19-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1060745)
Flipping records is part of the experience. It’s fun. It makes you pay more attention to the music. Dropping the needle reengages you.

I have a slightly different take. I find that, rather than paying more attention to the music, the end of the short side breaks my focus on the music. A side that was meant to be listened to in its entirety is now interrupted, breaking my concentration and enjoyment. I agree there can be an improvement in sound quality, but for me it's not worth it because of the impact it has on the flow of the music and the listening experience.

Audiophilehi 05-19-2022 11:20 AM

That's why I record my 45 double LP's to open reel. Sonic heaven. :yes:

JoeN 05-19-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1060755)
I have a slightly different take. I find that, rather than paying more attention to the music, the end of the short side breaks my focus on the music. A side that was meant to be listened to in its entirety is now interrupted, breaking my concentration and enjoyment. I agree there can be an improvement in sound quality, but for me it's not worth it because of the impact it has on the flow of the music and the listening experience.

I understand your point. I grew up in the 50’s forward, so flipping records isn’t a distraction for me, just part of the overall experience. We collected singles. I have tons of singles even now. For me, The Beatles is best served on singles … it’s just the way we played them - part of my experience.

So, I’m use to it and for me I listen closer, because I know I have to get up at a particular point and do the flip. IMO I’ve became a better listener because of it. I hear details that otherwise I may have missed. And I so enjoy those details.

But I understand your point and so I have a lot of 33s as well and of course CDs and streaming …. but ultimately the 45s continue to impress and I get more than one song now! :music:

JoeN 05-19-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1060755)

I understand your point. I grew up in the 50’s forward, so flipping records isn’t a distraction for me, just part of the overall experience. We collected singles. I have tons of singles even now. For me, The Beatles is best served on singles … it’s just the way we played them - part of my experience.

So, I’m use to it and for me I listen closer, because I know I have to get up at a particular point and do the flip. IMO I’ve became a better listener because of it. I hear details that otherwise I may have missed. And I so enjoy those details.

But I understand your point and so I have a lot of 33s as well and of course CDs and streaming …. but ultimately the 45s continue to impress and I get more than one (two) song now! :music:

Antonmb 05-19-2022 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1060758)
I understand your point. I grew up in the 50’s forward, so flipping records isn’t a distraction for me, just part of the overall experience. We collected singles.

I'm not far behind you, I grew up in the 50s-60s, but I never got into singles, I came of age with LPs, so that may partly explain my aversion to the 45. I had to wait for the Beatles albums to play them on the Zenith console[emoji41].

Formerly YB-2 05-19-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1060759)
I'm not far behind you, I grew up in the 50s-60s, but I never got into singles, I came of age with LPs, so that may partly explain my aversion to the 45. I had to wait for the Beatles albums to play them on the Zenith console[emoji41].

Ditto, though we had a Magnavox.

W9TR 05-20-2022 10:50 AM

Anyone know the provenance of the masters used to cut this new release? The original vinyl was mastered off of a 24/96 digital mix by Scott Hull. He’s mastering this 45 rpm re-issue as well but the Acoustic Sounds write up doesn’t mention the provenance of the master. I ask because there were also analog backups made.

PeterMusic 01-08-2023 11:53 AM

Vinyl newbie but Steely Dan fanatic here--I bought the UHQR Can't Buy a Thrill and Countdown to Ecstasy so I'd have them to demo my first turntable in 30 years--they are amazing!

One of the small frustrations of the true fanboy is that the original vinyl and their CD offshoots did not have adequate separation to capture the music's nuances. These are really the only versions outside of a concert venue that do the music justice--that allow you to hear everything. Will be purchasing all of the SD UHQR (now I just need storage room for the over the top packaging...)

But I do not see post-listening opinions from other UHQR purchasers. I hope to hear from Freddie and others...

Gooch01 01-08-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1070580)
Vinyl newbie but Steely Dan fanatic here--I bought the UHQR Can't Buy a Thrill and Countdown to Ecstasy so I'd have them to demo my first turntable in 30 years--they are amazing!

One of the small frustrations of the true fanboy is that the original vinyl and their CD offshoots did not have adequate separation to capture the music's nuances. These are really the only versions outside of a concert venue that do the music justice--that allow you to hear everything. Will be purchasing all of the SD UHQR (now I just need storage room for the over the top packaging...)

But I do not see post-listening opinions from other UHQR purchasers. I hope to hear from Freddie and others...

The UHQR of Can't Buy a Thrill is nothing short of amazing can't believe how my better it is to my 1st press and it sounds good.