AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Nordost Odin 1 Speaker Cables in the house -- my 5 year Memory Returns in Ernest (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40257)

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 04:02 PM

Nordost Odin 1 Speaker Cables in the house -- my 5 year Memory Returns in Ernest

5 Attachment(s)
About 5 years ago (there's a thread) I had the opportunity to test drive some new Nordost Odin 1 cables (power & speaker) in the house for a number of days.

I was so impressed with what I was hearing, that I told myself, if ever again, Nordost Odin cables will be on my bucket list or be damned. Well, that opportunity arose and have since purchased 3 Odin 1 Power Cords and today, the 3M speaker cables arrived.

After install I played some of the same music I did 5 years ago (I still have that A/B cheat sheet describing the differences between the WW Platinum Eclipse and Odin 1's). A deeper, clearer and spacious soundstage, increased detail and clarity -- my wife walked in during one Ella Fitzgerald track & said, you play that all the time; it sounds so clear as I looked at her. Then as if the jig was up, she said "what'd you buy." I was mum and said I tweaked the settings a bit. She has no clue and to this date, has no idea on how to fire the rig up. Just as well IMO.

Anyways, what I heard and documented those years ago is back in spades -- same sensation. You only live once & these cables will be in my will -- along with everything else audio I own.

Best Sirs,

Bob

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...2&d=1502827594

2fastdriving 08-15-2017 04:24 PM

Dad!

FDPDK 08-15-2017 04:28 PM

They look great and am sure they also sound great :)
Congratulations.

Flemming

j3brow 08-15-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 861929)
dad!

lmao!

Masterlu 08-15-2017 04:44 PM

Bob... Big Congrats!

Did Miss Odin stop by to assist with the install? :naughty:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a4/c4/83/a...ini-bodies.jpg

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 05:03 PM

She was in the car outside and suddenly left in a hurry after this guy came around the corner of my house.

http://i.imgur.com/jZeDtBa.jpg

Best Sirs,

Bob

Masterlu 08-15-2017 05:04 PM

Time to update your Signature :yes:

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 861939)
Time to update your Signature :yes:

Done

Thanks Ivan Sir,

Bob

Masterlu 08-15-2017 05:24 PM

http://www.cafleurebon.com/wp-conten...-couch-007.jpg

So tell me Bob... how long have you had this fascination with expensive speaker cables? :D

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 861944)
http://www.cafleurebon.com/wp-conten...-couch-007.jpg

So tell me Bob... how long have you had this fascination with expensive speaker cables? :D

Help me Doctor Messer;

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...=nordost+odins

Best Sir,

Bob

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 06:24 PM

Eva Cassidy, Blues Alley, Track 8, first 7-12 seconds she is wooing (as I call it) and again at 3:20 and again 1 minute later. The first occurrence, is like a wave hitting me in the face. Bring it on Eva.

I love it.

Best Sirs,

Bob

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 861929)
Dad!

Hey son Marc -- Glad to hear from you. You left your Mom and I in shambles with that crude note you left stating you were headed to Seattle area -- we worried day n' nite and after 6 months & no phone call nor email, we wrote you out of the will. As Forest Gump said, Shit happens (not sure where we put that bumper sticker -- but never threw it out -- it's here somewhere).

Hope you are doing well pushing that grocery cart. Bet your biceps are impressive. Please use a protection. Ashley will be 1 in February and your Mom and I need not another to take care of.

Love

Mom and Dad

P.S. Had you been a child of reason -- you'd have a hell of an audio system in a number of years. Your Dad just bought some Nordost Odin Power Cords and 3M Speaker Cables. He hasn't been honest with me (but when has he -- his loyalty though is above reproach), but I think he added the cost to your college tuition bill; which you owe. Thank goodness. I'm so relieved since we collect social security.

joey_v 08-15-2017 06:48 PM

Any itch for Odin 2??

Hahaha

Congrats!

richardallred 08-15-2017 09:27 PM

Congrats Bob, they are on my bucket list

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 861956)
Any itch for Odin 2??

Hahaha

Congrats!

At $45K for 3M -- not in this lifetime.

Seriously, the 2's have a strengthening membrane running down 1/4th the way down on one side. Why they felt that necessary is beyond me as these cables are nearly as stiff as a 2x4. I forgot how stiff they actually are, but have them in place where they will remain for quite some time.

Additionally the 2's have gold plated connectors and but understand are the same AWG as the V1's: 26x20 AWG wires per conductor.

Best Sir,

Bob

http://media.tas.zeitpress.com/artic...er%20Cable.jpg

Masterlu 08-15-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 861990)

Seriously, the 2's have a strengthening membrane running down 1/4th the way down on one side. Why they felt that necessary is beyond me as these cables are nearly as stiff as a 2x4. I forgot how stiff they actually are, but have them in place where they will remain for quite some time.

Additionally the 2's have gold plated connectors and but understand are the same AWG as the V1's: 26x20 AWG wires per conductor.

https://media.giphy.com/media/KOEc8ca7DELmw/giphy.gif

:D

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardallred (Post 861987)
Congrats Bob, they are on my bucket list

It's been some time Richard since I had Strads w/my MC2301's as you currently have -- and I could be way wrong here, but IIRC -- and that's a big IF, I was of the understanding the Strads were wired internally with Nordost Valhalla cabling.

I'm sure if Mr BP peruses this thread, he will correct me on the spot.:yes:

IMO, they qualify for inclusion on any audiophiles bucket list if one chooses to have one.

Best Sir,

Bob

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 861993)
:D

Ivan Sir,

I watched that video at least 10 times and not once did he make it.:D

Am I supposed to say touché -- forgot the pleasantries etiquette code of conduct.:scratch2:

Best Sir,

bob

2fastdriving 08-15-2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 861955)
Hey son Marc -- Glad to hear from you. You left your Mom and I in shambles with that crude note you left stating you were headed to Seattle area -- we worried day n' nite and after 6 months & no phone call nor email, we wrote you out of the will. As Forest Gump said, Shit happens (not sure where we put that bumper sticker -- but never threw it out -- it's here somewhere).

Hope you are doing well pushing that grocery cart. Bet your biceps are impressive. Please use a protection. Ashley will be 1 in February and your Mom and I need not another to take care of.

Love

Mom and Dad

P.S. Had you been a child of reason -- you'd have a hell of an audio system in a number of years. Your Dad just bought some Nordost Odin Power Cords and 3M Speaker Cables. He hasn't been honest with me (but when has he -- his loyalty though is above reproach), but I think he added the cost to your college tuition bill; which you owe. Thank goodness. I'm so relieved since we collect social security.

Touche, father.

vintage_tube 08-15-2017 10:29 PM

:rofl2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 861999)
Touche, father.

Hey Mother -- your son Marc is on the internet harassing me again. You did tell him about the increase to his student loan?:D

:beerchug: at RMAF 2017 my friend.:thumbsup:

Best Sir,

Bob

For The Love of Music 08-15-2017 10:45 PM

I needed this thread, as it was a DAY!

Happy Listening Bob by Simply Doing it Your Way!

chessman 08-16-2017 11:13 AM

Bob, HUGE congrats!!

vintage_tube 08-16-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueoak (Post 862080)
Glad you are enjoying them, Bob!

I came across this cartoon today amd wanted to share, all in good fun.

http://i.imgur.com/ShvjCj6.jpg

This is so true with my wife, when I upgraded my current system.

You nailed it.!!!!

Best Sir,

Bob

dolsey01 08-16-2017 11:32 AM

Any guilt I might have had about my own system all went away when I saw the MSRP of the Odin. Congrats!

vintage_tube 08-17-2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolsey01 (Post 862082)
Any guilt I might have had about my own system all went away when I saw the MSRP of the Odin. Congrats!

Prior to purchase, I think of the expense more times than I care to count. It sort of nags at you; but, afterwards, when the item is "in-the-house," I forget all about that agony & just close my eyes & smile.

:thumbsup:

Best Sir,

Bob

joey_v 08-17-2017 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 861990)

Best Sir,

Bob

http://media.tas.zeitpress.com/artic...er%20Cable.jpg

Man that's a beauty.

Bet it sounds phenomenal.

King 08-18-2017 12:25 AM

Wow, looks beautiful indeed, wondering when i can have a chance to have cable like this calibre for my speakers, congratulations !

Timobi 01-12-2019 01:59 AM

Just found this thread...:) GREATNESS.

In the past 6 months I have added 3 Odin Supreme Reference power cables and will agree with Bob that its amazing what its done to my system. I already had a Valhalla 2 power cable and its excellent. But the Odin takes it a little further. The speed and attack is better. More 3Dimensional. I was worried that it might be too bright and revealing as my Martin Logan CLX's take no prisoners. But Holy Moly I love it.

Yes they are expensive but well worth it. I also have a Odin 2 power cord on the way...it will feed the Nordost QB8. :smoking:

keef 01-12-2019 09:18 AM

You will end up telling her, maybe not now....but soon! LOL!

FDPDK 01-13-2019 10:35 AM

Tim , congratulations with the Odins
can only speculate how good they must be....had a chance to try Loudspeaker cables V2 , and i am simply stunned what they do for the system.

For The Love of Music 01-13-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timobi (Post 948891)
Just found this thread...:) GREATNESS.

In the past 6 months I have added 3 Odin Supreme Reference power cables and will agree with Bob that its amazing what its done to my system. I already had a Valhalla 2 power cable and its excellent. But the Odin takes it a little further. The speed and attack is better. More 3Dimensional. I was worried that it might be too bright and revealing as my Martin Logan CLX's take no prisoners. But Holy Moly I love it.

Yes they are expensive but well worth it. I also have a Odin 2 power cord on the way...it will feed the Nordost QB8. :smoking:

Tim, good to hear the excitement and feel the same way you do regarding Nordost!

GW1800 03-11-2019 02:15 PM

I've been on a Nordost journey for about 7 years. Once I had my main components picked out 3 years ago I decided to ramp up my cables and see where it went.

Started with Frey eventually moved to Frey 2 and then took a gamble on Tyr 2 XLR and that really opened my eyes to the possibilities of the upper level of Nordost. Eventually went with all Tyr 2 except for SC. Had an opportunity before purchasing T2 SC to get a pair of used Odin SC and XLR's (What's better then a used cable right!?). Boy did that sound great with the Tyr 2's! Over time had to try O2 started with power and now ended up with almost my whole system O2 expect V2 to the CLX/Subs and Odin power to the W20. Along the way added the QKore 6, two QX4's that required two more O2 power plus many other Nordost products. All I can say is I would of thought at some point the CLX's would of said "enough, please stop I can give you no more" but as I moved up the scale in Nordost they kept on giving me more actually a lot more.

One warning - unless you can purchase don't listen as once they are removed it will not go well for you!

For The Love of Music 03-11-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW1800 (Post 956915)
I've been on a Nordost journey for about 7 years. Once I had my main components picked out 3 years ago I decided to ramp up my cables and see where it went.

Started with Frey eventually moved to Frey 2 and then took a gamble on Tyr 2 XLR and that really opened my eyes to the possibilities of the upper level of Nordost. Eventually went with all Tyr 2 except for SC. Had an opportunity before purchasing T2 SC to get a pair of used Odin SC and XLR's (What's better then a used cable right!?). Boy did that sound great with the Tyr 2's! Over time had to try O2 started with power and now ended up with almost my whole system O2 expect V2 to the CLX/Subs and Odin power to the W20. Along the way added the QKore 6, two QX4's that required two more O2 power plus many other Nordost products. All I can say is I would of thought at some point the CLX's would of said "enough, please stop I can give you no more" but as I moved up the scale in Nordost they kept on giving me more actually a lot more.

One warning - unless you can purchase don't listen as once they are removed it will not go well for you!

Well, theres a voyage, and agree with your findings - thanks for posting!

Timobi 03-18-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW1800 (Post 956915)

Yes indeed. I have slowly added some Nordost Power Cables and indeed as you go up the ladder there's just no way to go back. :D

Just a fantastic cable series.

Sparta300 06-23-2021 03:27 PM

Greetings all. First post for me in the Nordost section of this wonderful forum. I Wonder If someone using a full loom of Nordostf have tried the Shunyata Sigma NR v2 in combination with Nordost. I Wonder If there is synergy to be found using my present setup and adding one Sigma NR v2 to feed my power amp.
Present setup: wallsocket- Odin 1- QX4 - Odin 1- Qbase8 markII
The Sigma NR v2 would then feed MOON W8.
Prior to this I have tested the Alpha NR v1 in different combinations
With the Best outcome being keeping a solid first chain of Nordost products until the Qbase8 in order to perserve the Nordost signum sound which suits my ears. I then added the Alpha NR to either transport/DAC/power amp. The best result was when I connected it to the MOON W8. All suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Håkan

PeterMusic 06-26-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparta300 (Post 1040316)
Greetings all. First post for me in the Nordost section of this wonderful forum. I Wonder If someone using a full loom of Nordostf have tried the Shunyata Sigma NR v2 in combination with Nordost. I Wonder If there is synergy to be found using my present setup and adding one Sigma NR v2 to feed my power amp.
Present setup: wallsocket- Odin 1- QX4 - Odin 1- Qbase8 markII
The Sigma NR v2 would then feed MOON W8.
Prior to this I have tested the Alpha NR v1 in different combinations
With the Best outcome being keeping a solid first chain of Nordost products until the Qbase8 in order to perserve the Nordost signum sound which suits my ears. I then added the Alpha NR to either transport/DAC/power amp. The best result was when I connected it to the MOON W8. All suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Håkan

See my signature below. I love the Nodost QBase/QKore combination, with a Frey 2 cable from QBase into the wall. But I have only stock power cords from my other components into the QBase. Although I could hear a large difference with each of the Nordost power products I kept, I could not hear any additional improvement from upgrading other power cables.

Good luck--keep us posted!