AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tape Machines (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   I've Had It! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47855)

FreddieFerric 04-02-2020 04:30 PM

I've Had It!

What do you all use for splicing tape? I bought a stock of leader tape, hold down tape and splicing tape from that Splice-It company that's somewhere out in the northwest. All the other stuff is fine, but the splicing tape keeps failing to hold.

I use a rebuilt Gibson Girl for the cutting and trimming and apply a good amount of pressure on the splice and keep it between my fingers for a while hoping that the heat may help the bonding, but so far it's just consistently letting me down.

So, what are you using and is it working well enough to recommend?

Mack 04-04-2020 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 61744

Here is my Splice Kit. I do not have any issues.

FreddieFerric 04-04-2020 04:09 PM

Hmm, that blue splice tape is the same stuff I'm using. Wonder if I got a substandard batch. :scratch2:

FreddieFerric 10-28-2021 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had it with this crap! If this stuff is "professional" then the profession is in trouble. Yet another failure. :tears:

Rant off.

Masterlu 10-28-2021 08:02 PM

You can always use it to make ribbons for Xmas. :merryxmas:

Formerly YB-2 10-29-2021 09:15 AM

Have you tried cleaning the tape (both sides/both ends) to insure everything is clean prior to applying the splicing tape? Zeiss lens wipes work well to clean just prior to applying the tape. Give a few minutes to allow the alcohols to evaporate. Oils from your skin may be contaminating the splice.

If using an Xacto knife, clean the blade well with a lens wipe prior to doing any cutting. Their new blades are very oily.

FreddieFerric 10-29-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1047709)
You can always use it to make ribbons for Xmas. :merryxmas:

Ivan to the rescue :superman:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1047735)
Have you tried cleaning the tape (both sides/both ends) to insure everything is clean prior to applying the splicing tape? Zeiss lens wipes work well to clean just prior to applying the tape. Give a few minutes to allow the alcohols to evaporate. Oils from your skin may be contaminating the splice.

If using an Xacto knife, clean the blade well with a lens wipe prior to doing any cutting. Their new blades are very oily.

I will try your suggestion. FWIW I use a refurbished Gibson Girl splicing device so I can't really wipe those blades down. They're super sharp and will cut you upon the slightest contact. Ask me how I know...

Mack 10-31-2021 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1047741)
Ivan to the rescue :superman:

I will try your suggestion. FWIW I use a refurbished Gibson Girl splicing device so I can't really wipe those blades down. They're super sharp and will cut you upon the slightest contact. Ask me how I know...

That’s the problem……..you have blood on your knife :roflmao::roflmao:

I could not avoid that one

bart 10-31-2021 08:24 AM

This really is a fun thread! :lmao:

FreddieFerric 10-31-2021 11:14 AM

I was going to use my Shun knives for tape trimming. Think I'll reconsider since blood doesn't make good glue. :no: