AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tape Machines (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Studer B77 MKII (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=14758)

MyPal 06-26-2012 08:01 AM

Studer B77 MKII

I'm thinking about picking up one of these apparently brand new in the box...Any good?

I wouldn't mind a tape machine, if I came across something relatively new/reconditioned knowing that it was still serviceable in the future too.

It will hook up to the C1000T for recreational recording & playback. Of course there is the expectation of superior performance, but I don't want a massive A820. Maybe an A810?

Does anyone have any basic pointers to consider when buying vintage reel to reel equipment?

Myles B. Astor 06-26-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPal (Post 329097)
I'm thinking about picking up one of these apparently brand new in the box...Any good?

I wouldn't mind a tape machine, if I came across something relatively new/reconditioned knowing that it was still serviceable in the future too.

It will hook up to the C1000T for recreational recording & playback. Of course there is the expectation of superior performance, but I don't want a massive A820. Maybe an A810?

Does anyone have any basic pointers to consider when buying vintage reel to reel equipment?

What types of tapes are you planning to play on the deck?

MyPal 06-26-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor

What types of tapes are you planning to play on the deck?

I was told to go for a 1/4" reel to reel half track with 15 ips tape speed for my own stereo recordings. The above unit is a 2 track, 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips.

I'm totally green & swaying towards a Studer Euro version that I could power in Aust without any step down.

Masterlu 06-26-2012 09:24 AM

I'm pretty sure Myles meant, what is the actual tape you will be using in the machine. ;)

MyPal 06-26-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu
I'm pretty sure Myles meant, what is the actual tape you will be using in the machine. ;)

Ivan, Miles,

I guess I would want something that would be compatible with a TTP subscription, plus be able to do my own pre-out transfers. I'm not interested in acquiring anything that is no longer supported or has been sitting in a dusty attic for 30 years. I currently don't own any media.

jdandy 06-26-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPal (Post 329097)

Steve.......I have a Revox B77 Mk2 with 1/2 track heads. It is an excellent reel to reel tape machine. I record using 7 1/2 ips, and the results are fantastic. I purchased my machine new, and it has never given me a moments trouble. I can highly recommend the B77 Mk 2. You will love it.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/q...otos/Tape3.jpg

MyPal 06-26-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy

Steve.......I have a Revox B77 Mk2 with 1/2 track heads. It is an excellent reel to reel tape machine. I record using 7 1/2 ips, and the results are fantastic. I purchased my machine new, and it has never given me a moments trouble. I can highly recommend the B77 Mk 2. You will love it.

Dan...Sounds great for doing your own recordings. But how about TTP subscription titles? I read the North American version of the B77 mkII & PR99 mkIII can be internally reconfigured to 15ips for compatibility with TTP subscription titles but you lose the recording function.

I'm still trying to get my head around the recording & media formats...

I guess if I am to go to the trouble of finding a good specimen that can be powered here without step down, (it seems some do have voltage selection), I would want it to serve both purposes. So far it seems that the A810 fits the bill but gosh with what's around would surely require a complete overhaul. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in the know that can point me towards a good refurb.

I have come across a couple of NOS B77 mkII units. A seller on eBay even claims to have one for sale.

GaryProtein 06-26-2012 10:37 AM

What is a TTP subscription?

jdandy 06-26-2012 10:48 AM

Steve.......I have also read several articles and one "how to" instruction article on turning a 7 1/2 ips Revox B77 machine into a 15 ips machine, and also on reconfiguring the record circuit boards to produce the proper EQ for the high speed tapes prerecorded tapes that are available. I would not want to abort my record functions, or alter my recorder like that. I use my B77 Mk2 for live music recording more than I do for albums, CD's, or mixed music tapes. It records live feeds very well with lots of head room. If you want 15 ips, I would look for a machine that is factory set up for that speed.

MyPal 06-26-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy
Steve.......I have also read several articles and one "how to" instruction article on turning a 7 1/2 ips Revox B77 machine into a 15 ips machine, and also on reconfiguring the record circuit boards to produce the proper EQ for the high speed tapes prerecorded tapes that are available. I would not want to abort my record functions, or alter my recorder like that. I use my B77 Mk2 for live music recording more than I do for albums, CD's, or mixed music tapes. It records live feeds very well with lots of head room. If you want 15 ips, I would look for a machine that is factory set up for that speed.

Dan...thanks. It is going to be very hard to find a piece I would imagine.