AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   DSD - (Don't Stream Digital) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=21945)

James Tanner - Bryston 07-07-2013 08:21 AM

DSD - (Don't Stream Digital)

Hi Folks,

It's always good to get both sides of the story.

DSD in 7 Minutes | Real HD-Audio

james

James Tanner - Bryston 07-07-2013 09:03 AM

John Siau: Benchmark Audio Guru | Real HD-Audio

MyPal 07-07-2013 09:07 AM

James... :goodpost: Thanks for the link.

Personally, what do you honestly love listening to the most? :naughty:

1. Bryston BDP 2 or
2. Bryston BP 1.5 Phonostage

James Tanner - Bryston 07-07-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyPal (Post 510043)
James... :goodpost: Thanks for the link.

Personally, what do you honestly love listening to the most? :naughty:

1. Bryston BDP 2 or
2. Bryston BP 1.5 Phonostage

You know I do not favor any format - I have heard excellent and terrible versions of them all.

james

James Tanner - Bryston 07-07-2013 10:13 AM

To DSD or not to DSD?

SHV 07-07-2013 10:21 AM

Here is one more:

"Mark Levinson: For the Love of Music, Part 2"

Mark Levinson: For the Love of Music, Part 2 - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Ollie 07-07-2013 02:29 PM

I enjoyed reading all of that. Thanks.

Bryston SP3' Bryston 6b-sst, 3b-sst, BDA-2, Dynaudio Confidence C2 (front), Dynaudio SCX (center), Dynaudio Audience (rears), ocos speaker cables, Vertere USB D-FI DD and most Bryston interconnect cables

James Tanner - Bryston 07-08-2013 07:06 AM

Dr. AIX

Re: DSD - (Don't Stream Digital)

James...thanks for the heads up on this thread. I admit to being a PCM guy but I do not have a horse in the game regarding hardware or codecs as some of the DSD advocates do. I do believe that the end listening experience of both DSD and HD PCM can be terrific. The recordings that we did in Montana to analog tape, 96/24-bit PCM and DSD 64 were all great when played back through VTL tubes amps, Transparent Cables and Wilson Alexandria XLF loudspeakers. Peter McGrath, myself and others all agreed that the DSD and PCM sounded really wonderful.

My message is not that consumers shouldn't enjoy their vinyl LPs, analog tape, CD, SA-CDs, DVD-As, Blu-ray and HD Files...but instead that they should be aware of some of the differences between them.

There is a reason that PCM and recently HD PCM rules the world of professional audio production, is the format for CD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray and virtually all high quality digital downloads (prior to compression being applied). Heck, it's even the go to format for those producing and marketing DSD-based releases (DXD is just PCM with three letters that invoke DSD...I actually thought it was DSD for a long time).

There is room in the world for all these formats. My concern about DSD is that it confuses the issues associated with better quality digital downloads in a world that isn't clear at all. It does a fantastic job of reproducing audio up to CD specs, the so-called "audio band" the it touted in the white papers and articles on the format. I'm interested in the increased frequency response and the real world dynamic range of 96 kHz/24-bit PCM.

Finally, the world (even the HD-Audio world) is moving to streaming. Orastream is already doing it and the writing is on the wall...variable bandwidth streaming algorithms for HD-Audio are already in place (MP4SLS)...I'm not aware of any efforts on the DSD side of the equation.

Even the Mark Levinson interview that was linked to above contains his admission that the world is a PCM place....and he's recognized that PCM is the future.

Thanks for the links to my daily posts at RealHD-Audio.com...this has become a great way to get information out.

James Tanner - Bryston 09-18-2013 08:01 PM

People Say The Darndest Things | Real HD-Audio

james

o0OBillO0o 09-18-2013 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I enjoyed reading these, certainly controversy.

Now, even though the spectrograph showed noise well above hearing, and the PCM had less, would any of us be able to tell?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado