AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Would this be a good project? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51852)

Milkdudd 12-24-2022 03:50 PM

Would this be a good project?

Sorry, I couldn't find a section dedicated to DIY. While my passion in this hobby is two channel stereo for critical listening, I also have a basic 5.1 surround system that uses Infinity Classia C336 towers. I also have the matching center channel and bookshelf speakers for rear channels. This setup is far from high end but the gloss black speaker cabinets (at least to me) are beautiful, unique and appear to be well made. The towers use three six and a half inch woofers, one 4 in midrange and a 1 inch tweeter. After all that rambling, here is my question. Since I like the cabinets so much would it be worth replacing all the drivers. crossovers and wiring with premium components? If any of you could give me your opinions or steer me to a forum that could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Masterlu 12-24-2022 04:23 PM

Personally, I wouldn’t do it. :no:

Antonmb 12-24-2022 04:32 PM

Would this be a good project?

Since most speakers are a system, with crossovers, cabinets and drivers specifically designed or selected to work in synergy, replacing drivers with something other than the original model, or replacing crossovers, will produce unpredictable results. You're likely to end up making things worse rather than better. Even wiring, unless carefully selected to match impedance, capacitance, etc., could have a deleterious effect. If you're an experienced speaker designer/builder, go for it - otherwise leave it alone and enjoy.

Formerly YB-2 12-24-2022 06:02 PM

Unless you are an experienced speaker designer you are better off leaving well enough alone.

Milkdudd 12-25-2022 01:00 PM

Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the responses. Since I posted I saw a rather in-depth review of these on Audioholics (who I don't always agree with) website. Like me they were impressed with the cabinets but not so much the sound. They found the crossovers to be especially dime store quality. Maybe a good compromise would be to try and upgrade just the crossovers. Maybe I could seek the help of a pro to attempt that. Since I have the complete set of speakers maybe I could start with the bookshelfs that I use for the rear channel

knotscott 06-04-2023 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milkdudd (Post 1070015)
Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the responses. Since I posted I saw a rather in-depth review of these on Audioholics (who I don't always agree with) website. Like me they were impressed with the cabinets but not so much the sound. They found the crossovers to be especially dime store quality. Maybe a good compromise would be to try and upgrade just the crossovers. Maybe I could seek the help of a pro to attempt that. Since I have the complete set of speakers maybe I could start with the bookshelfs that I use for the rear channel

Upgrading crossover components with like-value parts shouldn't be too difficult, and can result in improved clarity if the original parts were sub-par (many are). Far less risky than randomly replacing all the drivers.

If you really don't like the way the speakers sound, I'd consider a different speaker, or at the very least if you really want use the cabinets, find a good kit that will work in the box.