AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Canton Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Ref 5k vs 7k vs 3k (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50705)

Jdsmoke 12-29-2021 03:59 PM

Ref 5k vs 7k vs 3k

I have been bitten by the upgrade bug and I’m looking at my speakers first. I’m considering the Cantons and I’m trying to understand if there is a noticeable difference between the 5k vs 7k vs 3k. My room is only 18 x 12. I was thinking the larger size of the 3k might be overkill for the room. These will replace my Harbeths in my primary 2 channel system. I was leaning to the 5k as it would free up some funds for other upgrades but could stretch to the 3k if it was a substantial improvement. I mostly listen to (80%) 1980s to current rock with some (10%) acid jazz and (10%) broadway shows. Any advice would be appreciated.

Formerly YB-2 12-29-2021 04:53 PM

Am a 9K user in 12x30x7 room with my listening postion & speakers at one of the ends of same. I've been thinking of upgrading to the 7K but refuse to do so until I can audition them. Unfortunately, neither dealer in NA (Ivan & David Lewis) that I'm aware of has them available to listen to. David Lewis, my most local dealer. tells me that I should listen to his 5K as the only difference between them and the 7K is the 5K would go somewhat deeper in the bass. That said, I'm pleased enough with the 9K that I'm in no particular hurry. Good luck making your decision. They are great speakers.

Jdsmoke 12-29-2021 05:03 PM

Glenn
Thanks for the input, the base is one of the areas I feel the Harbeths are lacking. That’s why I fave the Rel sub. I was hoping with this upgrade to get a fuller, more cohesive sound. I love the vocals from the Harbeth but when playing rock they I know I’m missing out, when compared to other speakers

bart 12-29-2021 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmoke (Post 1052022)
Glenn
Thanks for the input, the base is one of the areas I feel the Harbeths are lacking. That’s why I fave the Rel sub. I was hoping with this upgrade to get a fuller, more cohesive sound. I love the vocals from the Harbeth but when playing rock they I know I’m missing out, when compared to other speakers

You can even consider the 9Ks plus a sub (or a pair of subs).
This makes it easier to finetune the bass in a small room than a pair of larger speakers.

Masterlu 12-29-2021 10:43 PM

Jd… I own all models of the Ref series up to and including the 1K. My room that these are all in is not much bigger than yours at all.

I would highly recommend the 3K’s, it is the sweet spot in their line. You won’t need Subs either, the Bass is outstanding.

We can talk offline, anytime to discuss delivery/pricing etc. :ok:

PS: Dean aka Maxsmart here just took delivery of his new 3K’s and is smitten.

Formerly YB-2 12-30-2021 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmoke (Post 1052022)
Glenn
Thanks for the input, the bass is one of the areas I feel the Harbeths are lacking. That’s why I fave the Rel sub. I was hoping with this upgrade to get a fuller, more cohesive sound. I love the vocals from the Harbeth but when playing rock they I know I’m missing out, when compared to other speakers

Yes. I've often thought of adding the Canton (or other) sub to my Ref 9Ks, but I am simply not a bassophile (listen mostly to classic/jazz at moderate levels & the bass & drums are my least favorite instruments) so would mostly be a waste for me.

As Ivan states, bigger is better if you want bass. Can't imagine that any of the floor standing Canton Refs would disappoint in any way.

Jdsmoke 12-30-2021 04:02 PM

Will my Pass 260.8s have enough power to drive the 3Ks? Granted I don’t usually have them really loud and I have a smaller size room.

Formerly YB-2 12-30-2021 06:39 PM

Am driving my Ref 9Ks with 25wpc of Class A power and am very pleased.
Check Ivan's signature to see what he is using to drive his Cantons.

Jdsmoke 01-01-2022 04:36 PM

I ended up getting a pair of 3Ks from Ivan. Now just have to wait for delivery and sell the Harbeths.

Formerly YB-2 01-01-2022 04:41 PM

Congratulations. Am sure you will be more than pleased.
Pic's, of course, when you have them set up.