AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   The new Kid on the block (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50053)

JemHadar 07-17-2021 10:50 AM

The new Kid on the block

1 Attachment(s)
Got me some unboxing to do.

The use cases for the Airpods Max and the LCD XC are quite different..I’m curious though how big the chasm between them will be.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1626533358

bart 07-17-2021 02:22 PM

:lurk:

JemHadar 08-20-2021 10:34 AM

There is no chasm between the Audeze LCD XC and Apple Airpods Max…it might as well be the distance between the Earth and the Moon.

I use the Airpods Max for viewing YouTubes on my iPad when my better half watches content on the big screen. The noise cancellation is actually quite impressive. However they are not that comfortable for big heads (they barely fit) and in that regard are bested by the much heavier Audeze cans.

IMHO When it comes to “audiophile” listening, for the price, the Airpods Max fail miserably.
They sound dead overall, muffled in the midrange, and no energy in the treble.

For my use case they are effective. Unfortunately their fancy looks don’t translate into a comfortable wear.

As always…YMMV

PHC1 08-20-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemHadar (Post 1043545)
There is no chasm between the Audeze LCD XC and Apple Airpods Max…it might as well be the distance between the Earth and the Moon.

I use the Airpods Max for viewing YouTubes on my iPad when my better half watches content on the big screen. The noise cancellation is actually quite impressive. However they are not that comfortable for big heads (they barely fit) and in that regard are bested by the much heavier Audeze cans.

IMHO When it comes to “audiophile” listening, for the price, the Airpods Max fail miserably.

For my use case they are effective. Unfortunately their fancy looks don’t translate in to a comfortable wear.

As always…YMMV

You should hear how the new thin iMac sounds. Great looking computer which is very thin and stylish but virtually unlistenable with the built in speakers IMHO. I am sure the Airpods sound much better and would be a welcomed item. Perhaps that was intentional from Apple? :smoking:

PeterMusic 08-21-2021 09:42 AM

Yes, my wife's Apple buds are at least listenable compared to our various Macs. But none of this should be a surprise. Apple has consistently sold garbage wrt sound quality--starting with iTunes low resolution, continuing with Beats, now these. The real crime here is that their dominant position in various markets enforces low quality sound, marketed as high quality, as the standard. This leaves many smart people, such as my wife, thinking I'm silly because my Stax require a cable (gasp)...

bart 08-21-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1043593)
Yes, my wife's Apple buds are at least listenable compared to our various Macs. But none of this should be a surprise. Apple has consistently sold garbage wrt sound quality--starting with iTunes low resolution, continuing with Beats, now these. The real crime here is that their dominant position in various markets enforces low quality sound, marketed as high quality, as the standard. This leaves many smart people, such as my wife, thinking I'm silly because my Stax require a cable (gasp)...

:D

bart 08-21-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemHadar (Post 1043545)

For my use case they are effective. Unfortunately their fancy looks don’t translate into a comfortable wear.

As always…YMMV

Very helpful Jacques! :thumbsup: