AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Dynaudio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Esotar Tweeters coming! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38011)

Puma Cat 12-17-2016 02:17 PM

Esotar Tweeters coming!

This week just ordered a pair of mobile (car) Esotar+ tweeters for my Contour S3.4s. This is the same exact upgrade that Josquin Des Prez (aka Dean) did a few years ago. My factory contact inside Dynaudio says these will work perfectly in the S3.4 w/ virtually no cross-over issues. Should be here in a few weeks, and then I begin the process of running them in for 300 hours. As the tweeters cover all the bandwidth from 2000 Hz on up, this should be a major upgrade as the Esotar+ is one the finest-performing and sounding tweeters on the market.

:banana:

audioguy3107 12-17-2016 09:20 PM

Nice! I've always thought the Esotars were one of the best tweeters ever made. That was my first choice for my audio system in my car, but the dealer said they're so large, they wouldn't fit most cars without some serious customization, not to mention the German cars like my MB, so I had to go with the Focal Utopias. I'm sure those will sound awesome in the Contours.

- Buck

Puma Cat 12-17-2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 820514)
Nice! I've always thought the Esotars were one of the best tweeters ever made. That was my first choice for my audio system in my car, but the dealer said they're so large, they wouldn't fit most cars without some serious customization, not to mention the German cars like my MB, so I had to go with the Focal Utopias. I'm sure those will sound awesome in the Contours.

- Buck

Thanks, Buck. Yes, they should sound really good; I agree the Esotars are one of the best tweeters ever made.

djwhog 12-26-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 820432)
This week just ordered a pair of mobile (car) Esotar+ tweeters for my Contour S3.4s. This is the same exact upgrade that Josquin Des Prez (aka Dean) did a few years ago. My factory contact inside Dynaudio says these will work perfectly in the S3.4 w/ virtually no cross-over issues. Should be here in a few weeks, and then I begin the process of running them in for 300 hours. As the tweeters cover all the bandwidth from 2000 Hz on up, this should be a major upgrade as the Esotar+ is one the finest-performing and sounding tweeters on the market.

:banana:

Congrats I run a set in my mains and one in my center speaker. Have used many and these are among the best with the proper crossover.

A notch up is also not only the point that they cross over but the components in the cross over, all that said I think as is they are a big step up in your system and again congrats and looking forward to your impressions. Even out of the box they should be so much cleaner

audio bill 12-26-2016 08:59 PM

One of the attributes of the Esotar tweeters is an exceptionally smooth response without requiring additional crossover compensation to achieve their very natural high frequency extension. They are often used with simple first order crossovers which further reveals their amazingly transparent reproduction. A musically excellent and standout design!

Puma Cat 12-28-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 822326)
Congrats I run a set in my mains and one in my center speaker. Have used many and these are among the best with the proper crossover.

A notch up is also not only the point that they cross over but the components in the cross over, all that said I think as is they are a big step up in your system and again congrats and looking forward to your impressions. Even out of the box they should be so much cleaner

Just installed today. Initial impressions: very fast and transparent. As you predicted they are cleaner than the Esotec+ tweeters, more open, airy, etc. Only a little over two hours in and they've already changed a little in that time. Sounding more fleshed out and natural, but I know there's a phase at about 100-150 hours where they start to sound really bad! But I know to hang in there with them and they'll come good at 300 hours. :thumbsup:

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca.../IMG_14401.JPG

Puma Cat 12-28-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 822372)
One of the attributes of the Esotar tweeters is an exceptionally smooth response without requiring additional crossover compensation to achieve their very natural high frequency extension. They are often used with simple first order crossovers which further reveals their amazingly transparent reproduction. A musically excellent and standout design!

Yes, they are exceptionally smooth. Dynaudio also uses first-order crossovers exclusively for their designs. They sound really good right now, but I know that's going to change and then they will finally come into their own.

Duke777 12-17-2022 09:33 AM

Old thread, I know, and I'm trying to rack up my first 10 posts so I can gain better access. Puma Cat - I joined this site to get some intel on the esotar upgrade. Wife blew tweeter on my beloved NSMT so by getting even I bought lots of speakers ML, GE, Zu and I'm keeping the Dyn s3.4 (for now) They are a little more laid back than I'm used to but everything else is perfect. Will the esotar upgrade complete the s3.4? Does it make them an LE?

Duke777 12-17-2022 09:35 AM

Follow up, any tips on getting the mobile e110 esotar at a bargain basement price? On ebay they are $1250ish. Is this the best i can hope for? I do not shy away from previously owned equip. Thanks in advance.

Puma Cat 12-17-2022 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke777 (Post 1069733)
Follow up, any tips on getting the mobile e110 esotar at a bargain basement price? On ebay they are $1250ish. Is this the best i can hope for? I do not shy away from previously owned equip. Thanks in advance.

Duke, send me a PM. I'm planning on selling my Dynaudio Contour S3.4s and I'm thinking I'm going to put the Esotec tweeters back in them and sell the Esotar 2s separately. I'm confident we could work out a price that works for both of us. Cheers.