AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I Broke My Binding Post! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50696)

FreddieFerric 12-24-2021 03:51 PM

I Broke My Binding Post!

2 Attachment(s)
Yep, overtightened and it snapped. Bad part it's the neutral post.

So my question: Is the end that is attached to the amp removable by unscrewing? I.E. simply replaceable by unscrewing the old post and screwing in the new one.

If so I could temporarly fix this by cannibalizing the 2 ohm tap since I'm not using it.

HELP!!!

Masterlu 12-24-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1051723)
Yep, overtightened and it snapped. Bad part it's the neutral post.

So my question: Is the end that is attached to the amp removable by unscrewing? I.E. simply replaceable by unscrewing the old post and screwing in the new one.

If so I could temporarly fix this by cannibalizing the 2 ohm tap since I'm not using it.

HELP!!!

Nope, the amp has to be opened to remove/replace a binding post.

Weirdcuba 12-24-2021 04:06 PM

Big bummer …

FreddieFerric 12-24-2021 05:58 PM

Catastrophe averted. I pulled the amp out of the rack and was able to easily remove the broken off screw. It came right out. Swapped out the post on the 2 ohm tap and reconnected everything. It's working fine.

Will be calling Mc early next week to order a couple extra posts. Seems the metallurgy is gold plate over cast alumium. It's pretty brittle although I admit to over-tightening it.

Man, I did not need this on Christmas Eve. :redface-3:

Masterlu 12-24-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1051729)
Catastrophe averted. I pulled the amp out of the rack and was able to easily remove the broken off screw. It came right out. Swapped out the post on the 2 ohm tap and reconnected everything. It's working fine.

Will be calling Mc early next week to order a couple extra posts. Seems the metallurgy is gold plate over cast alumium. It's pretty brittle although I admit to over-tightening it.

:ok:

Jamitloud 12-24-2021 07:21 PM

You need to use a monkey wrench

FreddieFerric 12-24-2021 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamitloud (Post 1051732)
You need to use a monkey wrench

Got that covered.

diffmachine 12-26-2021 11:09 PM

Glad, bad situation didn't turn into worst situation!

BlueSky 12-31-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1051729)

Glad you fixed it but gold plate over aluminum? Good gosh I hope not!

keef 12-31-2021 12:08 PM

Man! Thanks for the warning, I hand tighten my 501 binding posts fairly tight.

It is a confusing situation because my Classe amp comes with lug nuts and a wrench!:banana: