AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Shindo Corton Charlemagne Q (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9519)

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 194017)
Audio Note.

Yes, these work well with a few Shindo amps - Montille, Montrachet in particular. You need corner clearance as they are designed particularly for corner room loading. This may or may not be possible in some listening environments.

-M

joe1515 08-18-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect (Post 194218)
Hi Joe,

Shindo speakers start at $29.9k for the Petite Latour and move all the way up to $67.5k for the full size Field Coil Latour.

In total, there are 8 versions of Shindo loudspeakers, all of them incredible in their own way. Your room size/listening distance will also be a determining factor in deciding the model.

There is something quite special when you have a 2 way, large cabinet based, 100~db 16Ω speaker. You'll find that 'lower powered' (8-20wpc, depending on room size) is all you need. They can be driven to concert levels by a 10wpc amplifier, and barely break a sweat.

Even the standard Petite Latour, for example, uses Alnico based compression high frequency unit & 12" short throw paper woofer, Shindo crossover, cabinet, etc. They give you, musically, far more than other loudspeakers. You won't find a tweaked $99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet in a Shindo speaker and sold for $30k. pr. :scratch2:

-M

Thanks Matt.

Joe

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 194227)
That thought did cross my mind. I doubt they sound as refined as the other candidates though. I've gathered they can sound relentless with anything but a warm and fuzzy tube amp like Dynaco70 for example. Shindo deserves and requires much better than that.

I've heard them and I would not characterize at all that way at all...

Jerome W 08-18-2011 03:48 PM

Does Art Dudley use Corton Charlemagne EL34 ( 2 x 25 W ) with his Wilson Sophia or is my memory wrong ?

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194245)
Does Art Dudley use Corton Charlemagne EL34 ( 2 x 25 W ) with his Wilson Sophia or is my memory wrong ?

Art uses them with Audio Note ANE4-6itizxsomething or other (keeping Audio Note model numbers straight is like trying to keep Harley-Davidson models straight with their FLXs and FLH2e and FXSRs, blah, blah...:scratch2:)

He has reviewed Wilsons and may have a pair on loan, but AFAIK, he does not own Wilsons...

Jerome W 08-18-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 194248)
Art uses them with Audio Note ANE4-6itizxsomething or other (keeping Audio Note model numbers straight is like trying to keep Harley-Davidson models straight with their FLXs and FLH2e and FXSRs, blah, blah...:scratch2:)

He has reviewed Wilsons and may have a pair on loan, but AFAIK, he does not own Wilsons...

Yep, I found where he says that he uses the Corton EL34 with the Sophia 3.

"My primary amplifiers during the Sophias' stay were a pair of Shindo Corton-Charlemagne monoblocks: 25W push-pull amps using two EL34s each in ultralinear mode, with zero global feedback (but a bit of local feedback around the input and driver tubes). Unusually among recent Shindos, the Cortons' output transformers can be wired for 4-ohm output, which I duly did."

Matt, what does the last phrase in black mean ?

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect (Post 194218)
You won't find a tweaked $99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet in a Shindo speaker and sold for $30k. pr. :scratch2:

-M

Hmmm..."$99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet"....sounds like Wils..er, never mind.

joe1515 08-18-2011 04:41 PM

I have always wondered why Devore speakers are such a good match with Shindo? The sensitivity for The Nines is only 90.5db and the Super 8's is 90db :scratch2:

Joe

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194251)
Yep, I found where he says that he uses the Corton EL34 with the Sophia 3.

"My primary amplifiers during the Sophias' stay were a pair of Shindo Corton-Charlemagne monoblocks: 25W push-pull amps using two EL34s each in ultralinear mode, with zero global feedback (but a bit of local feedback around the input and driver tubes). Unusually among recent Shindos, the Cortons' output transformers can be wired for 4-ohm output, which I duly did."

Matt, what does the last phrase in black mean ?

I think it's basically setting the output taps (binding posts) on the amp to be optimal for four ohm speaker loads..this involves rewiring the transformers. Some amps already come with 4, 8 or 16 ohm taps.

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194245)

Yes, he had used them when he reviewed the speakers.

-M