AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Power Cord Possibilities (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=23521)

prepress 01-12-2014 02:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
In my battle against cable clutter, I've had an idea. I hooked up my VPI 'table directly to the C2300 originally, but abandoned that due to the fact that I was impatient to break in the tubes and knew I'd use the line stage far more than the phono section. Plus, I had to fill in empty shelves on my racks, right? So the phono preamp went back in.

Now, it occurs that if I put the phono into the 2300 I will be able to eliminate one power cord and one pair of interconnects. Plus, I could even take out two shelves. Time to do some sample reconfig diagrams, before I start unplugging or pulling stuff out of the system though. One friend already doesn't like the idea; she says things are nice and balanced as is. I attached a current configuration photo from a few months back, and one with the 12TC in place to see how that looks.

prepress 01-18-2014 08:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Two PDFs, one of the current setup and one without the Aragon 47k and its power supply. Perhaps it does give the TV a more prominent look.
Meantime, a dose of reality in the form of a 4% rent increase for the next lease. That'll be in the back of my head as I consider how to approach the cable clutter/power cord issues here.

The 47k power supply could get a shorter cord running to the Furman Elite, but the umbilical from the supply to the turntable is hard-wired at the supply, so no help there.

prepress 01-23-2014 07:00 PM

I just ordered a Venom 3s for the TV, and a 1.5m WW Stratus for the CD player. The Stratus now on the TV will go to the tuner.

prepress 01-28-2014 05:04 PM

I just received my Venom 3s cord. On it, there's a tag that says, "Caution. The drain wire in this cord is not terminated to any of the terminals in the connector." What does that mean?

CGabriel 01-28-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepress (Post 574973)
I just received my Venom 3s cord. On it, there's a tag that says, "Caution. The drain wire in this cord is not terminated to any of the terminals in the connector." What does that mean?

Dude how many places have you posted this. I have answered this in Welcome to Caelin thread.

Masterlu 01-28-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 575047)
Dude how many places have you posted this. I have answered this in Welcome to Caelin thread.

Looks like only three... :sigh:

prepress 01-29-2014 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 575047)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 575050)
Looks like only three... :sigh:

Yes, I was torn over where to post the question, where it seemed most appropriate versus where I'd be most likely to generate an answer, then didn't go back to delete at least one of the posts. Sorry.

prepress 02-22-2014 08:42 AM

Anyway, the Venom 3s is on the TV and at first I thought, not much difference. But I think it's begun to open up more. And the sound seems to be more dimensional, meaning sound beyond the speaker borders. This seems to happen more often than it did with the WW that was there before. I'd need to listen/watch more familiar material to evaluate this, but I'm not much one for critical evaluations. I'd rather listen normally and if I notice anything then, it's meaningful.

Meantime, the WW Stratus (5.2) that was on the TV is now on the tuner, replacing a PS Audio Jewel. Preliminary indications are it has done something similar for the tuner. Sound itself is about the same, but it seems to have more dimension to it. This is listening to NPR mostly. I'll have to try stations that play more music.

This doesn't help my clutter issue, but the performance changes I perceive are nice. I would have to replace everything with shorter power cables (say 4 ft.) and the dilemma there is an unnecessary expense versus helping things look neater. We'll also see if the WW cables become problematic for bundling.

prepress 11-23-2015 02:21 PM

Old thread, but I am considering replacing the current setup on my Furman SPR-20i. Now, there is a Wireworld Stratus with a Pangea 20A-15A adapter connected to the SPR; the Stratus gets to the wall via a Shunyata Venom extension cord. Because of concerns about the connection's stability, I'm thinking of getting a cord with a true 20A IEC (Venom HC perhaps) and getting it to the wall via a regular 12AWG extension. There are Transparent and Kimber ICs in the system, so the replacement could be either one of those brands as well, just with a 20A IEC. Alternatively, I could get an adapter to connect the Venom HC to the Stratus and remove the Venom extension.

I wonder if there's any virtue in making such a change other than improving the IEC connection. Wireworld cords don't offer the best IEC grip on my gear, and that's my main concern.

prepress 11-28-2015 08:26 AM

Or, another idea is to get a WW adapter which will allow me to use my 3m Stratus or Aurora with the SPR's stock 20A cord. Not sure which is the best way to go vs. a premium cord and regular extension. The cheapest move is the adaptor.