AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Manley Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Manley Labs Chinook Phono Stage (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=16446)

jbaudio68 12-21-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 748320)
Kevin.......I operate my Ortofon Cadenza Black through the moving coil phono stage of the C1000C/P solid state preamplifier. It is superior to the C1000C/T tube preamplifier phono stage that I also had, and is more open, dynamic, and quiet than either the C1000C/T or my C2300 moving coil phono stages. In a word, it is exceptional. I have tried the 25, 50, 100, and 200 ohm resistance setting with my Cadenza Black and ultimately settled on 100 ohms as being the best sounding setting.

Hey gents, how important is the needle choice and is there a ratio dollars to sound? I'm told I have the same cartridge used on the MT10 but have no idea if my system would benefit from an upgrade.

jdandy 12-21-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbaudio68 (Post 748333)
Hey gents, how important is the needle choice and is there a ratio dollars to sound? I'm told I have the same cartridge used on the MT10 but have no idea if my system would benefit from an upgrade.

Jeremy.......This is a complete topic that would be better served with a new thread. Why not begin a new thread: How important is a phono cartridge choice? I think the separate thread topic will provide you with more answers.

Formerly YB-2 12-21-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 748307)
I just placed my order for a Chinook and am looking forward to the experience of what post-C2300 phone pre will be like. I was always satisfied with the McIntosh phono stage but have also been curious what an outboard stage could reveal. My cartridge is an Ortofon Cadenza Black. I will start the resistance at 100 ohms and listen from there. Any other Cadenza Black owners care to share their phono stage setting?

Use the Cadenza predecessor, the Kontrapunkt-b, with my Cary phono-preamp. Was going to go with the Chinook, but the fact that it has only a single set of inputs meant switching cables to go back and forth between the MM TT & MC TT, which only needs a flip of the switch with the Cary. EveAnna Manley was happy to provide the schematic and info on where to make the connections if I wanted to add a second set of inputs and a switch. Certainly a great 'before sale' service offer, but decided to go with the Cary to match the SLI-80. Am also using 100 ohm loading. The flexible load settings and the quad of 6922s of the Chinook almost sold me on it. Should be a great choice. Will guess that you will be pleased with what you hear. Please keep us posted. Some great 6922s out there to roll in.

jbaudio68 12-21-2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 748336)
Jeremy.......This is a complete topic that would be better served with a new thread. Why not begin a new thread: How important is a phono cartridge choice? I think the separate thread topic will provide you with more answers.

Oops. You are right. Sorry gents!

miner 12-22-2015 04:06 PM

The Chinook version I got from Upscale Audio is the SE version - a black face and upgraded, cryoed tubes. Philips PCC88s are the matched tubes in the SE version.

miner 12-31-2015 05:16 PM

My oh my - the sound stage has widened quite nicely. And the Chinook is far from broken in. I am now listening to King Crimson and it is a new experience. The Mc phono stage is very nice but I am now convinced I can better it within my budget. This is also after recalibration of my cartridge using Feickert gauge and Fozgometer, too. It has been a joyous Christmas.

Sproink 03-03-2021 02:54 PM

Love mine.

C10 08-24-2022 08:45 PM

Is it possible to upgrade an pervious model Chinook to the new version with the higher 65db gain option for MC?

Formerly YB-2 08-24-2022 11:14 PM

My experience with Manley is that they are very responsive to inquiries about their gear. Use the "Contact" form on their website.

C10 08-25-2022 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1065598)
My experience with Manley is that they are very responsive to inquiries about their gear. Use the "Contact" form on their website.

I'll reach out and follow up, was not sure if they read this forum.