AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Manley Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Manley Labs Chinook Phono Stage (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=16446)

adhesiv 10-21-2012 12:51 PM

Any other users of this pre? Since I'm down to a headphone setup for now I need a dedicated phono pre for my analog setup.

The Chinook, K&K maxxed, Parasound JC-3 and Herron VTPH-2 Are on the top of my list.

I also saw a Plinius Koru come up on Audiogon that looked intriguing but couldn't find anything online about it.

lakesailor 10-21-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhesiv (Post 381962)

I also saw a Plinius Koru come up on Audiogon that looked intriguing but couldn't find anything online about it.

As a subscriber to What-Hi (and a few other UK audio mags) I recall they did a review on it a few years back – gave it a 5 star rating (not hugely common for What-Hi) and really raved about it – I seem to recall they did mention it was not hugely forgiving and you needed a fairly top end vinyl setup to get the most out of it however if you did have the system they essentially implied you could do no wrong with it.

Bung99 10-31-2012 05:50 PM

Worth trying Genalex E88CC

Hi
Just wondering how the Genalex E88CC/6922 valves would be in the Chinook. I had good results with Genalex in my McIntosh cC220 over their standard valves but I understand the 6922EH in the Manley are very good to start with so at about $50 each here in Aus it is not cheep to test.
I am not unhappy with what I hear now but just wonder if for $200 I can get an improvement that I can hear.:scratch2:

Any advice please?

Thanks

Wasatch 10-31-2012 09:39 PM

I do not have alot of experience with phono stages in general, but for the money the Chinook is very hard to beat.

Whart 11-01-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bung99 (Post 386546)
Hi
Just wondering how the Genalex E88CC/6922 valves would be in the Chinook. I had good results with Genalex in my McIntosh cC220 over their standard valves but I understand the 6922EH in the Manley are very good to start with so at about $50 each here in Aus it is not cheep to test.
I am not unhappy with what I hear now but just wonder if for $200 I can get an improvement that I can hear.:scratch2:

Any advice please?

Thanks

I never heard a Chinook, i did have the Steelhead for about 6 years and rolled alot of tubes in it. To the extent the circuits are comparable, the best sounding 6922 in the Steelhead was a NOS Tele. You have to buy those from a reliable source, though, and they aren't cheap. I don't know what tube is in the other slots on the Chinook- in the Steelhead, it was a 7044, and there I found NOS Raytheons to do well, not terribly pricey, but those should be replaced periodically. I can do a little more research if this is unclear.
At least in the case of the Steelhead, tube rolling make a big difference in the sound of the unit. The stock tubes that came with the unit did not let you hear what the unit is capable of.

Wasatch 11-01-2012 01:11 PM

That is what is so AWESOME about tube amps, preamps, phonostage's.

Removed 11-01-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bung99 (Post 386546)
Hi

Any advice please?

Thanks

Different but not necessarily better......

Formerly YB-2 12-06-2012 05:01 AM

Ran some JAN Sylvania 6922s in a BAK VK-30 and was quite pleased with them. If I was rolling tubes in a Chinnook think I would start there. Seem to be about the same price as reissue Genalex.

Bung99 05-13-2013 01:28 AM

:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:
The Power supply has packed it in after 6mths in my service. I got mine second hand as it was traded in for another valve amp to a dealer so here in Aus NO Warranty that is a shit. The Main transformer started to short then went completely.
Not happy now with Manley.

Bung99 05-23-2013 02:06 AM

An Expensive main transformer $500 all up & that includes a $100 freight for the transformer from Manley to the AUS distributor/agent. Thanks Manley.