AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Esoteric K01-X vs N-01 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48015)

adol290 05-02-2020 01:11 PM

Esoteric K01-X vs N-01

I currently own a K01-X and was thinking of selling it and buying a N-01. I have been thinking of going away from a disk player for a while now. Would this be an upgrade or downgrade in sound quality. Plus i can get a good
deal on a used N-01.

I have hooked up a fanless dedicated media server, with a linear power supply, Jcat usb card, along with a nordost Tyr 2 USB cable, to the K01-x. It sounds very good, but i still think the K-01x as stand alone player sounds better.

Masterlu 05-02-2020 01:19 PM

I am waiting for the N-01X

btn2803 05-02-2020 01:32 PM

N01-XD? Nice. Can't wait for your evaluation and pictures.

2fastdriving 05-02-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adol290 (Post 1003676)
I currently own a K01-X and was thinking of selling it and buying a N-01. I have been thinking of going away from a disk player for a while now. Would this be an upgrade or downgrade in sound quality. Plus i can get a good
deal on a used N-01.

I have hooked up a fanless dedicated media server, with a linear power supply, Jcat usb card, along with a nordost Tyr 2 USB cable, to the K01-x. It sounds very good, but i still think the K-01x as stand alone player sounds better.

I also have the k01x, and thought my spinner was outperforming my streaming. I did the following and believe it is on par now:

Bought uptone audio etherregen, an optical transceiver, and optical cables to convert my ethernet to optical.

Moved my dedicated roon rock server to another room.

Bought sotm sms200 ultra neo special edition with clock input and connected to my g02x clock.

Bought a shunyata Sigma USB cable.

Also connected the etherregen to my Clock. Clock is optional, but does take the whole solution up a notch. I use a shunyata Sigma clock 50 cable for the dac, but currently some cheaper cables for the other connections.

Ymmv and yes it's not cheap, but you don't need to throw out the k01x to get the streaming up to the job. [emoji16]

2fastdriving 05-02-2020 04:03 PM

In the latest TAS magazine, our very own pumacat(Stephen) has an article on this. He's a great resource here on AA as well. Search for his posts!

SCAudiophile 05-02-2020 04:51 PM

It is a great article Pumacat!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 1003694)
I also have the k01x, and thought my spinner was outperforming my streaming. I did the following and believe it is on par now:

Bought uptone audio etherregen, an optical transceiver, and optical cables to convert my ethernet to optical.

Moved my dedicated roon rock server to another room.

Bought sotm sms200 ultra neo special edition with clock input and connected to my g02x clock.

Bought a shunyata Sigma USB cable.

Also connected the etherregen to my Clock. Clock is optional, but does take the whole solution up a notch. I use a shunyata Sigma clock 50 cable for the dac, but currently some cheaper cables for the other connections.

Ymmv and yes it's not cheap, but you don't need to throw out the k01x to get the streaming up to the job. [emoji16]

Fabio 01-30-2021 04:45 PM

You ll be better off with a spinner I think , Unless you really dont have that many CD s and prefer streaming . quality seems better with the disc .