AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   DACs Used Across Various Models (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47540)

ufguy73 02-02-2020 01:38 PM

DACs Used Across Various Models

I have been delving into the brand as I am building out more of the digital side of a new system.

One thing I am not certain about are the DACs that are used across the various models. My understanding is a DAC is more than just the particular chip that is employed - and it's been a little difficult to tell the various DAC implementations that are used (beyond the chip) in Esoteric's models.

For example, does the N-line (let's say N-01) use the same DAC implementation as the K1/K-01/K-01x? Are these DACs the same that are in the D1x/D-02x?

What I really am trying to do is figure out how to 'equalize' (ie 'the DAC is the same') across models, so that then it just becomes a question of functionality (i.e. cd transport vs network stream vs neither) knowing the DAC implementation/quality is identical.

Any help?

thanks!

tdelahanty 02-02-2020 01:50 PM

The K1 (Grandioso) has a completely different DAC than K07xs thru K01xs. The DAC's used in the K0 series are better as the model# get lower, also there are more DAC's implemented in the better models.

2fastdriving 02-02-2020 02:56 PM

It's almost futile to do this in my opinion. Instead, figure out what type you want (spinner, streamer, or stand alone), and buy the highest model your budget will allow.

If you can afford any grandioso model, get that, I'm sure you won't regret! But don't forget that you can add a clock to any of these, and it will also give you a boost in performance.

Masterlu 02-02-2020 02:59 PM

Road Trip... I have them all on display. :o

ufguy73 02-02-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 994297)
It's almost futile to do this in my opinion. Instead, figure out what type you want (spinner, streamer, or stand alone), and buy the highest model your budget will allow.

If you can afford any grandioso model, get that, I'm sure you won't regret! But don't forget that you can add a clock to any of these, and it will also give you a boost in performance.

Because the overall implementation of surrounding components/technology would vary so much across any particular model?

What if the question were the DACs across, specifically, the 1 models (ie K1, N1x, D1)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 994298)
Road Trip... I have them all on display. :o

If only Not on the other side of the country!! :beerchug:

Fabio 01-30-2021 04:50 PM

I really wonder if the latest dacs will be as musical as the earlier offerings or just more resolving . Sometimes they loose the midrange and overall thickness of the sound .