AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Isolation, Tips & Tweaks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   SR Orange Fuse Sale (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47319)

John Jordan 12-24-2019 12:17 PM

SR Orange Fuse Sale

For those that may not be aware, SR Research is having a three for two sale on their new Orange fuses. It is available for any of their retailers until the end of December.

Despite having just purchased a new car, have to admit being tempted.:nono:

For those who have replaced fuses, do you go with the exact value of the original or one step higher i.e. a 1 amp is replaced with say a 1.25 amp?

Thanks!

ariess 12-24-2019 12:38 PM

One step up

4Play 12-24-2019 12:54 PM

Going higher in value would be dangerous for the gear.

Cohibaman 12-24-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Play (Post 990013)
Going higher in value would be dangerous for the gear.

On one hand I agree, safety is paramount.

On the other hand, going up slightly, probably won’t matter at all since a cause for a blown fuse in the first place is typically much much higher current demand. Plus, designers struggle with the chosen fuse rating to begin with.

If it’s a 15 amp fuse, I’d never go to a 20. But a 1 amp to a 2 amp fuse is probably not going to hurt anything.

For The Love of Music 12-24-2019 04:42 PM

Boy, that’s interesting and not sure I would go past what the OEM rating is?

Masterlu 12-24-2019 08:03 PM

All of my replacement fuses are of the exact OEM values.

oddeophile 12-24-2019 09:46 PM

As are mine. Never had an issue once regardless of brand over the years

Parabellum 12-26-2019 05:53 PM

In my amplifier, I replaced the stock (and dirty old) fuses (4 out of 7 so far) with SR Blue and I went one notch over (5A to 6.3A, 400 mA to 500 mA). It is important to respect at least the fuse timing, ie, fast blo or slow blo. It was reported on some other sites that some users had problems with blown fuses when using the same value as stock fuses. Some SR dealers even do recommend going up one notch to avoid this. As for my part, never had a problem doing this but I don't abuse the system and don't push it to the limits.

For a DAC or a BDP however, I am not totally sure as I tend to believe that the demand is not as high when compared to an amplifier for example. I am currently debating if going with the same values or going up one notch for my Bryston BDA-3 and BDP-2. But I tend to lean toward a higher rated fuse, especially for the DAC.

EDIT:
Some users claim that a higher rated fuse actually sound better but I have never tried this myself.

John Jordan 12-27-2019 01:30 PM

Everyone-

Thank you for all of your responses! Speaking to manufacturers directly, they are against upping the value from their recommendations and rightly so.

Despite this great sale opportunity, I will most likely sit it out.

Parabellum 12-28-2020 12:05 AM

It's this time of the year again, the Orange fuse sale is back until Jan. 31, 2021. Buy 2 get 1 free. I have one Orange fuse I need to evaluate in my amplifier and if I like it, I will buy some more.