AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   A5 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47107)

takahwon 11-25-2019 11:43 AM

A5

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ffAWIZ2Ip.../IMG_4052.jpeg

GeAllan70 11-25-2019 03:42 PM

Sexy!!

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ffAWIZ2Ip.../IMG_4052.jpeg

:naughty:

JoeN 11-28-2019 11:59 AM

Nice!!! I just ordered some A3s. Wish I knew how much the A5s were - they might be worth the cost. However, in our rather small listening space the A3s are probably sufficient.

GeAllan70 12-04-2019 07:35 PM

Whooa!!!!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-T3ZADATcH.../IMG_4377.jpeg

:naughty:

kzhtoo 12-06-2019 12:40 AM

This is going to be S7 Lite. Exciting!

Ch1mera1989 12-07-2019 03:30 PM

Looks like a lot of tech went into these. They probably sound well. Still, $22k is a lot for square speakers.

JoeN 12-08-2019 04:28 PM

With these specs below and the normal quality Magico makes speaker's with it most likely will be a winner. I would expect a price increase in a few months ...:

Official Release:

Hayward, CA (USA) – December 6, 2019 – The largest and most advanced of Magico’s A Series, the A5 incorporates the company’s first 5-inch pure midrange driver as well as enhanced midrange and bass driver cone technology. These new cones achieve unprecedented stiffness-to-weight ratio, a key parameter that Magico has pursued over the past 15 years. In addition, the crossover debuts Mundorf’s new M-Resist Ultra foil resistors for unmatched transparency, liquidity and power handling. “The A Series has been a great success in reaching a wider audience,” said Magico’s founder, Alon Wolf. “The A5 builds on that success with a new 5-inch midrange of extraordinary musicality. And the A5 ‘plays larger,’ with powerfully extended dynamic range.” The three-way, five- driver floor standing speaker retains such Magico hallmarks as extensively cross-braced 6061 aircraft grade aluminum and Elliptical Symmetry Crossover. Finished in brushed black anodized aluminum, the loudspeaker will be available in the first quarter of 2020 at a suggested retail price of $21,800/pair.

New bass drivers with advanced new sandwich cones

The 9” bass drivers of the A5 feature a newly enhanced version of Magico’s Graphene Nano-Tec cones. Graphene, a hexagonal lattice of carbon, achieves 50 times the tensile strength of high-carbon steel. The new cone design combines Graphene layered carbon fiber with advanced new core materials to achieve the highest possible stiffness to weight ratio. Thanks to extensive computer simulation and prototype tests, the driver chassis achieves an ideal combination of stiffness and damping, minimizing acoustical contribution and maximizing airflow. The new bass unit incorporates oversized components including a 5-inch pure Titanium voice coil and huge copper cap with 1⁄2” of linear excursion. The super-stabilized magnetic field enables the A5 to really thunder, producing 115 dB SPL (@ 50 Hz, 1 meter), while maintaining very low distortion and inductance below 0.18 mH. Finite Element Analysis (FEA) provides Magico engineers a single platform to assess acoustical, mechanical, electromagnetic and thermal properties. This meticulous testing helps minimize distortions in the frequency and time domains. Borrowed from the Magico M3 and M6, the triple bass driver configuration provides easy room integration, maximum distribution of the floor bounce effect and effortless reproduction of extreme musical peaks.

New five-inch pure midrange driver

The new 5-inch full-cone midrange driver enables wider dispersion and greater midrange transparency. Like the bass driver, the midrange also incorporates an advanced Graphene carbon fiber sandwich cone. A new foam surround helps achieve ideal cone/surround integration, faster settling time and impressively low distortion. The all-new motor system uses a pure Titanium voice coil. The super stabilized magnetic field and pure copper pole cap minimize eddy currents and maximize efficiency. This latest midrange driver sets new benchmarks of measured performance.

High frequency driver

Based on the fundamental design platform and geometry of the M-Series tweeters and shared with the other members of the A-Series, the tweeter incorporates a pure beryllium-diaphragm with an optimized 28-mm dome. Magico encases the customized neodymium motor system in an engineered back chamber with the company’s most advanced damping materials. This enables ultra-low distortion, high power handling, massive dynamic capabilities and extended linear voice coil movement.

Crossover debuts the Mundorf M-Resist Ultra foil resistors

Magico acoustically integrates all five drivers with the proprietary Elliptical Symmetry Crossover topology built with state-of-the-art components from Mundorf EB Gmbh of Cologne, Germany. The A5 will be the first product in the world to offer Mundorf’s new M-Resist Ultra foil resistors. Now perfected after years of development, the new resistors deliver greater power handling, transparency and liquidity. The 3-way network features a 24 dB per octave Linkwitz-Riley filter that maximizes frequency bandwidth while preserving phase linearity and minimizing intermodulation distortion.

Aircraft-grade aluminum enclosure

Weighing in at 180 pounds each, the A5 features a massive, sealed enclosure machined entirely of 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum, the same material and construction methods as in Magico’s acclaimed Q-Series. Complex internal bracing helps stiffen the entire enclosure and minimize resonance. A dedicated sub-enclosure houses the midrange driver, protecting it from the extensive back wave energy of the bass drivers. The aluminum has an elegant, brushed black anodized finish.

Driver Complement

1” Tweeter (x1)
5” Graphene Nano-Tec Midrange (x1) 9” Graphene Nano-Tec Bass (x3)
Specifications
Sensitivity:
Impedance:
Frequency Response: Recommended Power: Dimensions:
Weight:
Suggested Retail Price (US): Ship date:
88 dB
4 Ohms
22 Hz – 50 kHz
50 – 1000 Watts
10.5” (W) x 14.9” (D) x 44.75” (H) 180 lbs.

$21,800/pair

1st Quarter 2020
2019 Magico LLC

GeAllan70 12-21-2019 09:59 AM

need a shootout review up against these... :scratch2:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...db3df1f2_b.jpg

Mikado463 12-21-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeAllan70 (Post 989667)
need a shootout review up against these... :scratch2:

and these ................

https://www.revelspeakers.com/produc...g/Salon2-.html

Mikado463 12-21-2019 11:59 AM

and these as well .........

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/produ...ssance-esl-15a

Formerly YB-2 12-21-2019 02:12 PM

The problem with shootouts is it boils down to one person's opinion. Am sure they are all a bit different and all sound terrific. At this level of speaker (toss in Wilson and a few others) I would almost think picking on aesthetics would be top priority (the SF's are stunning).

Mikado463 12-21-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 989691)
The problem with shootouts is it boils down to one person's opinion.

have three reviewers, blindfolded, speakers level matched and away you go ! :banana:

Formerly YB-2 12-21-2019 08:33 PM

You and me........... but who else could we trust? ;)

JoeN 12-22-2019 08:41 AM

I selected Magico A3s after listening to SF Olympia IIIs, ML 13As and many others. And I have a friend that has Wilsons. SF and the Revels have the looks for sure with Wilson being marvelous as well. I love SF - the best in aesthetics (IMO). But when it came to sound ALONE the Magico - for me - was the clear winner and Wilson was close.

According to Magico the A5s are even above their S3! That's one fine speaker. After hearing the A3s, be prepared for a lot in the A5!

As most know, a lot depends on amp pairing and sources. Everything in the audio chain matters - and so does the room, et. al. Some speakers are more forgiving of certain components than others. While Magicos would sound good on most systems, they sound best and show all they can do with the best.

I'm still breaking in my A3s, and I like them so much I'm already thinking of upgrading to the Magico M2s. The A3s gave me a wonderful glass of wine - the best I ever had. Now I want the whole bottle, so I desire the M2s ( the largest that I think would fit in my room).

GeAllan70 12-22-2019 10:50 AM

^^^

:thumbsup:

JoeN 12-24-2019 01:40 PM

Magico A5 - A First Look

This is great article. The technology that goes into A5 is amazing.

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...a5-loudspeaker

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/ima...o_a5_group.jpg

Rick721 06-10-2020 12:13 AM

Here's a small taste of the new A5's..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGRVc2waFDk

capici 06-11-2020 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick721 (Post 1006791)
Here's a small taste of the new A5's..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGRVc2waFDk

Thanks Rick - sounds wonderful.

The A5 is on my very short list. The price seems to be a relative bargain price/performance. Glad Alon Wolf is making his Magico speakers much more affordable. At first glance, I was a little concerned with the sonics (internal sounds waves) of this sharp edged speaker, but at at 180 pounds each likely not a problem. Itching to hear it in person.

Delmac 03-21-2021 07:55 AM

Was just in touch with Overture AV and they informed Magico raised the price to 24800 on the A5. Salesman I deal with said they purchased a few extra prior to increase which still haven’t arrived but available. Was going to wait till after Axpona to make a speaker purchase but this is tempting as the A5 has been in my top 3

hdvidguy 05-22-2021 10:37 AM

For A5's what amps and cables work best? They are rated up to 1,000 watts, so thinking something around that output.

hdvidguy 05-24-2021 01:40 PM

Also wondering if the A5 has good slam / dynamics for home theatre? Example War of the Worlds slam.

Delija 05-24-2021 04:56 PM

For "War of the Worlds slam" you need BIG subwoofers and that's it :)

gds7368 05-25-2021 10:46 PM

The A5 does not have that kind of slam, from the in-home demo I heard at my business partner's house. His regular speakers (800D, note not D2 etc) had significantly more bass. Totally agree that a subwoofer would be needed for home theater slam. I use M Projects in my theater and they greatly benefit from REL25 and S/5 subwoofers.

hdvidguy 05-26-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gds7368 (Post 1038938)
The A5 does not have that kind of slam, from the in-home demo I heard at my business partner's house. His regular speakers (800D, note not D2 etc) had significantly more bass. Totally agree that a subwoofer would be needed for home theater slam. I use M Projects in my theater and they greatly benefit from REL25 and S/5 subwoofers.

I have a fantastic sub that covers the low end effortlessly. What I was thinking of is in 40-100Hz range. I have B&W 802N and they are quite good in that region but not as clean or tight as newer 800 D3 or Magico’s.

I listen to mostly movies at high volume so hoping A5’s would work well along with the ACC center.

Reading reviews of B&W 800 D3, most mention they are like listening to a concert, orchestra level dynamics, but super clear, no distortion. A5 reviews mentions how the A5 is very good in the bass being a sealed design. Due to COVID, I can’t audition anything right now.

hdvidguy 07-23-2021 05:39 PM

Bump

Would like to hear those who play A5 loud.

stev809 09-15-2021 10:22 PM

The in room measurements show a very flat response thru the midrange, but huge room support from 200 hz and at the other end a tweeter that starts rolling off at 5000hz. I hope to hear the A5 at axpona so I can hear what those measurements sound like.

Formerly YB-2 11-16-2021 07:15 AM

Stereophile's "Product of the Year" for 2021.

JoeN 11-16-2021 07:26 AM

Awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1048868)
Stereophile's "Product of the Year" for 2021.

hdvidguy 12-30-2021 11:23 PM

For those who have A5’s how long was wait to get them?

puroagave 01-01-2022 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1052109)
For those who have A5’s how long was wait to get them?

6 mos

hdvidguy 01-02-2022 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puroagave (Post 1052254)
6 mos

Wow, everything has changed now with Covid and new variants.

puroagave 01-02-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1052379)
Wow, everything has changed now with Covid and new variants.

in hindsight it was 7 mos. I heard it was supply chain issues. I received my pair last Oct, things might have improved by now.

hdvidguy 02-17-2022 06:27 PM

A5’s on order! :banana: may take a bit!

JoeN 02-18-2022 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1055562)
A5’s on order! :banana: may take a bit!

Congrats. Yes, they may take a while but they will be well worth the wait. Congrats again.

hdvidguy 03-02-2022 07:11 PM

Ok, as I wait for my A5’s to show up, any suggestions on speaker wires? Currently I have bi wire setup. A5’s are only only single connections.

My custom bass wires for the bass and Linn K20 for the upper end. Thinking I’ll need a much higher gauge single wire. I’m running about 12 feet per speaker.

Hoping to find good quality wires and not overly priced.

JoeN 03-02-2022 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1056354)
Ok, as I wait for my A5’s to show up, any suggestions on speaker wires? Currently I have bi wire setup. A5’s are only only single connections.

My custom bass wires for the bass and Linn K20 for the upper end. Thinking I’ll need a much higher gauge single wire. I’m running about 12 feet per speaker.

Hoping to find good quality wires and not overly priced.

I use Shunyata on my M3s. You’d desire to go with at least Alpha, but Sigma is a really a huge step up from Alpha.