AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tubes & Valves (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   EL-84, Push-Pull Amp, King of Audio Tubes? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30681)

Steady339 03-15-2015 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've read that some audiophiles feel the EL-84 tube--for push-pull tube amps--is the "King of Audio Tubes." Can this bold statement be true of the little EL-84 power tube?

Several audio articles support this view. An article in Vacuum Tube Valley, "The Baby with Bite,"; referred to the EL-84 tube's history and strengths.

In a a second article from the Mapleshade catalogue, Pierre Sprey claims the EL-84 in the smaller Heathkit and Scott amps out perform larger EL-34 and KT-88 tube amps.

The third article is a Dick Olsher review from The Absolute Sound on Bob Carver's Black Magic 20, a EL-84 based amp. Carver says, he gets great sound from the EL-84 and really does not know why, although one reason was a simpler circuit topology which did not necessarily need a driver stage. In the review's conclusion, Olsher says, "Kudos to Bob Carver for taking the road less traveled and focusing his design energy on the EL84 pentode; the power tube that high-end audio seems to have forgotten. The Black Magic will surprise many with a sonic signature that is more rhythmically convincing than that of most KT88 and EL34 amps. It boogies far better than many more expensive and powerful amps. Its major sonic attributes are a clear mid-range tone, plenty of low-level detail, excellent sound stage transparency, and a well-controlled treble range."

Also, Arthur Salvatore, on his website, HIGH-END AUDIO and Arthur Salvatore, praises the EL-84 based VTL Tiny Triodes as having, "excellent speed and detail like good solid-state amps, but they also have the natural body and richness of tube amps. . . Even the bass is excellent, with the right speakers."

In addition, some more reviews of EL84 based amps:

6moons review of the Luxman SQ-N100, 6moons audio reviews: Luxman SQ-N100 Srajan Ebaen praises this EL84 based integrated as comparing favorable even to the sound quality of SET amps!

Soundstage! review of the Manley Mahi Mahi: SoundStage! Equipment Review - Manley Laboratories Mahi Mono Amplifiers (9/2005) Vade Forrester said, "Robust and dynamic"; "orchestral sonorities were rich and full, with realistic instrumental timbres." "Bass was taut and deep"; "highs were similarly excellent; not etched or peaky, just extended and detailed." "They just make listening to music fun."

Roger

rikm 06-09-2015 12:08 PM

Good morning all, have had a 84 push-pull for a number of years and just replaced the 4 Sovtek EL84's with the 84M...sounds all good but would be interested in comments on this tube from any more knowledgeable or experienced...

thanks,

rikm

Masterlu 06-09-2015 08:38 PM

rikm... Welcome to AA! :wave:

AlienViolet 06-09-2015 10:56 PM

I found the EL84 overdrives too easy (hence The baby with Bite reference) and was a bit grainy sounding in both amps I had with that tube. When I was into tube gear, I preferred the EL34, 6550 and 300B. In hi-fi applications, I find the EL84 does not have the midrange bloom of the EL34 or the balls of the 6550.

Even when I was a blues guitar player, I never warmed up to the EL84, especially in combo amps like the Fender Blues Jr. Preferred the 6V6.

But, a lot of folks love the EL84 in both the hi-fi and guitar camps!

rikm 06-10-2015 06:50 AM

Thanks for the welcome Masterlu, and for your comments AlienViolet,

...well don't do the guitar thing, but have had the amp for 6-8 years, driving my old pair of Polk Monitor 7's, and it has always seemed fine...was hoping for a little more punch with the 84M's but I think the old set of 84's had faded a bit, so not sure if the improvement is because of the 'M' or because it's 4 new tubes...

FloridaBoy 07-13-2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikm (Post 705694)
Good morning all, have had a 84 push-pull for a number of years and just replaced the 4 Sovtek EL84's with the 84M...sounds all good but would be interested in comments on this tube from any more knowledgeable or experienced...

thanks,

rikm

What amp are you using?

Antonmb 07-13-2015 01:30 PM

I'm not exactly a tube aficionado, but I have a Luxman SQ-N100 using EL 84s (using Fold Lion tubes at the moment) and love the sound with headphones and small monitors (currently PSB Imagine Minis). It's very good in the midrange at low-reasonable volume levels and gets instrumental timbres right. It just can't play very loud.

Steady339 07-13-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 713406)
I'm not exactly a tube aficionado, but I have a Luxman SQ-N100 using EL 84s (using Fold Lion tubes at the moment) and love the sound with headphones and small monitors (currently PSB Imagine Minis). It's very good in the midrange at low-reasonable volume levels and gets instrumental timbres right. It just can't play very loud.

Tony, Thanks for your reply and making me aware of the Luxman SQ-N100. I agree with you about the merits of the EL84 power tube. I found an interesting review on the 6moons site that compares some of the Luxman SQ-N100 sound quality favorably to even SET amps!

6moons audio reviews: Luxman SQ-N100

Roger

Formerly YB-2 04-01-2016 09:23 PM

Just ordered a Luxman SQ-N10, the new version of the SQ-N100 with a digital input for an iPod dock. I listen in the near-field to a pair of 89db speakers so am thinking I'll be good. Will be ordering a full set of the Gold Lion reissue tubes for it.

rikm - will guess that the better sound is more the result of new tubes rather than going to an 84m. 6-7 years is quite a few on a power tube. Even an EL84.

Antonmb 04-02-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 771272)
Just ordered a Luxman SQ-N10, the new version of the SQ-N100 with a digital input for an iPod dock. I listen in the near-field to a pair of 89db speakers so am thinking I'll be good. Will be ordering a full set of the Gold Lion reissue tubes for it.

rikm - will guess that the better sound is more the result of new tubes rather than going to an 84m. 6-7 years is quite a few on a power tube. Even an EL84.

Glenn, congratulations! I'm listening to Schubert's Octet on my SQ-N100 now. I think you'll be quite happy with yours. What speakers will you be using wth it? And are you thinking of the companion disc player? It would make an attractive setup. http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ps7t19revj.jpg