AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Member System Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Charles System (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45138)

Charles 02-15-2019 12:23 PM

Charles System

10 Attachment(s)
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Coffee USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Charles 02-15-2019 12:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Coffee USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

djwhog 02-15-2019 12:44 PM

Awesome system Charles, congrats, power for days man! Me likes :)

Charles 02-15-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 953462)
Awesome system Charles, congrats, power for days man! Me likes :)

djwhog, thank you much! I added the final AQ Niagara 5000 and Dragon HC power cord a week ago finally completing my subwoofer system upgrade. New cables and power conditioner has made awesome improvement in my bass. See you have mancave too. There are great advantages to "caves". They allow you to spread your system out without too much concern for looks although I am very pleased with my aesthetics. Is your system displayed somewhere. I'd love to see it. I have to say your system, power, and room are awesome. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Antonmb 02-15-2019 02:12 PM

An exceptional system and room, congratulations Charles.

John Jordan 02-15-2019 10:33 PM

Charles-

A beautifully thought out and painstakingly tuned system from room framing to final cabling.
Enjoy those sounds!

j3brow 02-16-2019 01:41 AM

Charles System

A very well planned system and room. Can only imagine that this is sonic nirvana! Enjoy.

Charles 02-16-2019 01:59 PM

Thanks to all. Please know that I try to envision each of your systems. I think about your systems. I have learned so much valuable information this way. And yes I am very pleased with my sound but I am sure no more so than any of you are with yours. Your thought, effort, and sound of your systems makes mine much more enjoyable. We all have "friendly/positive jealousy" that spurs each of us on to improve our systems to reach new heights of sonic grandeur and envision/imagine what each of us has attained.

EfeTe 02-16-2019 07:13 PM

Outstanding Charles, very impressive indeed. Congrats!

joey_v 02-16-2019 07:43 PM

Fantastic Charles!

Signed,
Your WEL brother