AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MEN220 with Serial Number starting ADM (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25551)

jameslrock 02-27-2014 10:46 PM

MEN220 with Serial Number starting ADM

It is my understanding that McIntosh has quietly released a new MEN220 with the serial number starting with ADM that has a new updated board. Does anyone know what is new about this unit and any change in performance especially in the Analog/Digital/Analog conversion? This is the new unit that had the remote issue (discussed in other threads) that has since been corrected with a new firmware update version 2.01 (compatible only with the ADM units). Very curious what has been updated and if they are now using newer chipsets for A/D/A.

Maks 02-27-2014 11:35 PM

Unless someone takes a photo of the board, we will probably not get an answer on this question.

jdandy 02-27-2014 11:45 PM

The original MEN220 serial numbers began with ZN****.

AM123 02-27-2014 11:49 PM

Here we go.. This is going to be a gigantic thread.

o0OBillO0o 02-28-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AM123 (Post 584966)
Here we go.. This is going to be a gigantic thread.

I love the MEN220 threads. Some like it, some loathe, and a bunch don't even know how to use it.

It's gotta be the no.2 component discussed here. No1. being the C50.

jdandy 02-28-2014 11:32 AM

At least with a new letter designator in the serial number, determining which MEN220 is the original design and which is the new design will be easy to spot.

Jwhcfi 02-28-2014 01:31 PM

If it turns out there is a new chipset, is a new review forthcoming ? :)

jameslrock 02-28-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 585080)
At least with a new letter designator in the serial number, determining which MEN220 is the original design and which is the new design will be easy to spot.

And an important identifier since I have been told the firmware is not backwards compatible. In fact I was told not to post the firmware to prevent the use on the prior unit.

AM123 02-28-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameslrock (Post 585194)
And an important identifier since I have been told the firmware is not backwards compatible. In fact I was told not to post the firmware to prevent the use on the prior unit.

Since you have one, is there a new DAC? Can you tell us what they told you the difference is between the old and new units?

jameslrock 03-01-2014 12:53 AM

I wish I knew the difference so I am hoping someone else knows. What I do know is my new unit was delayed and took over a month beyond the promise date to ship. My dealer checked on it repeatedly but when I called Mc about another issue I inquired about the delay in the MEN220 order. I was told at that time there was a new unit that was placed in the rack at their office by one of their engineers but they had not even had a chance to check it out. They did not know, or state, the changes or if it would come out with a new model number. At the time I thought it was just my luck I would receive a new MEN220 and there would be a model number change that would make my just received unit the older generation from day one. Thankfully that is not the case. I understood there was a board change with a significant update but no information was shared. Sounds like they updated the board but kept the model as MEN220 and just changed the first three letters of the serial number to denote the new version. I understand the firmware version 2.01 to fix the remote issue with the new version is not to be used in the prior version units. The new version does not have the processor loop selection in the menu. There is also a new manual edition edited for the new unit that seems to be mostly the same except it omits the processor loop in the menu structure. I did not have the prior version so I am unable to share any changes to sound. I am hopeful that the ADA conversion has been updated to be on par with the MCD1100. I understand the RoomPerfect software has not changed from version 1.6. If I find out anything from my dealer I will post. I want to compliment Mc on how responsive they were on the remote issue. They are good folks and reinforce why I am pleased to have their units in my home. I do wish they will become more forthcoming on their hardware and software changes. Knowledge may led to even more sells for those on the fence for this unit. Please keep inquiring and post your findings. Thanks.