AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Hot new Schiit! The $149 tube Vali 2+ headphone amp/preamp (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49229)

PHC1 12-17-2020 08:51 PM

Hot new Schiit! The $149 tube Vali 2+ headphone amp/preamp

Steve Guttenberg Audiophiliac

Schiit makes solid-state and tube headphone amps, but this latest tube model runs just $149, and it's the tubiest sounding one yet!

https://youtu.be/cStzlsIq598

Formerly YB-2 12-18-2020 09:26 PM

Had the Valhalla. Found it totally 'uninvolving'. Same with their power amp (forgotten the name it was so boring). Think I've had enough Schiit to last me..............

PHC1 12-18-2020 09:31 PM

Vali and Valhalla are different models and in different price brackets. The Valhalla is a rather neutral and accurate presentation. I have not heard the Vali but Steve Guttenberg mentioned it was "tubey" and "fun" to listen to.

At $149 one cannot expect too much but if it is "fun" then it is a bargain as it would be unreasonable to expect perfection. I'll take a fun and tubey listen over a sterile and lean budget SS presentation any day.

80B 12-19-2020 12:48 AM

Thanks for sharing Serge - that is a cool little HP amp. For $149, the ability to roll tubes a bit, and to have it on your desktop is a great entry point for the hobby. My son just got a Schiit HP amp and DAC ("Schiit stack" as he calls it) for his Audeze LCD-3 cans, and enjoys it a lot at his desk, an improvement over the Dragonfly DAC, which is no slouch itself.

PeterMusic 12-19-2020 11:58 AM

Yes--the price point is key for Schiit (and Dragonfly). To find a product that is enjoyable for somebody with a high end system at only $149 is awesome. We should not expect "involving" at this price point

PHC1 12-19-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 1026005)
Thanks for sharing Serge - that is a cool little HP amp. For $149, the ability to roll tubes a bit, and to have it on your desktop is a great entry point for the hobby. My son just got a Schiit HP amp and DAC ("Schiit stack" as he calls it) for his Audeze LCD-3 cans, and enjoys it a lot at his desk, an improvement over the Dragonfly DAC, which is no slouch itself.

The LCD-3 are great cans. Your son has good taste. :music: Schiit DACs and HP amps offer tremendous value. The music does not care about the price tag, it just flows and moves the listener. We tend to get carried away chasing the last ounce of performance at tremendous expense but in reality even the most affordable gear can move us when it was passionately designed. Schiit is a very passionate company for the budget oriented audiophile/music lover.

SAM992 12-19-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1026049)
Yes--the price point is key for Schiit (and Dragonfly). To find a product that is enjoyable for somebody with a high end system at only $149 is awesome. We should not expect "involving" at this price point

I would argue its the combination of price point AND the fact that it's made in the USA.... that's rare, but especially at affordable prices.

FreddieFerric 12-19-2020 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the other hand, since Schiit apparently likes the big Canton Ref 1 DC's, he does have a least something going for him.

Attachment 63599

Khrispy 10-13-2021 09:04 PM

Thread necro, I know, but I'm new here and can't start threads yet...

I picked up one of these a little while back and I can say it's definitely a fun little amp, and you can still get really cheap tubes to run in it. So far, I've found that this amp really seems to like older (i.e. Soviet era) 6N3P (with 6922 to 5670 adapter) and 6N1P tubes.

Does anyone have suggestions for sensible tubes to roll in the Vali 2+?

bart 10-14-2021 01:32 PM

Khrispy, welcome to AudioAficionado!

:welcome2.:

Old threads are always happy to be revived here. :thumbsup: