AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do you connect your amp to your power conditioner? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8546)

esteban 05-31-2011 06:52 AM

Do you connect your amp to your power conditioner?

Do you connect your amp, power amp or receiver to your power conditioner? Or do you prefer to get power straight from the wall and use your conditioner for the pre-amp, sources, etc? If so, why?

Just curious to read your comments and experiences on the subject.

bart 05-31-2011 07:36 AM

I connect all my electronics to the power conditioner.
The manufacturer recommends it.

Robert_Anderson 05-31-2011 08:06 AM

Yes, my big Krells are fed power via Shunyata Hydra 2's.

hkval 05-31-2011 09:04 AM

MC1.2KW plus sources on each Power Plus 2000. Amplifiers love "gourmet food" as much as sources do.:thumbsup:

Masterlu 05-31-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkval (Post 169491)
MC1.2KW plus sources on each Power Plus 2000. Amplifiers love "gourmet food" as much as sources do.:thumbsup:

How eloquent! :beatnik:

Yes, me too! :yes:

JemHadar 05-31-2011 02:24 PM

2 x MC501, pre and all sources plus 55" LCD on one PurePower 2000...even at insane levels I cannot get the PP to reach its limit.

-E- 05-31-2011 02:49 PM

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes.

Feed the amps with the cleanest possible power.

skunark 05-31-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 169482)
I connect all my electronics to the power conditioner.
The manufacturer recommends it.

That's not at all true. Most manufacturers don't recommend it because most power conditioners are current limiting. If you don't have an adequate power conditioner it will actually limit the current draw on your amp impacting it's ability to drive the speakers.

Also you can run the risk of ruining your power conditioner if the current draw exceeds it's specification.

BTW, I do run with Power Conditioner on my Amp.

Puma Cat 05-31-2011 03:22 PM

No, I don't; it's connected directly to the wall. My understanding is that the Running Springs Conditioners are thie one that best support an amp plugged into them. Don't know about the PPCs, though.

bart 05-31-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skunark (Post 169526)
That's not at all true. Most manufacturers don't recommend it because most power conditioners are current limiting. If you don't have an adequate power conditioner it will actually limit the current draw on your amp impacting it's ability to drive the speakers.

Also you can run the risk of ruining your power conditioner if the current draw exceeds it's specification.

BTW, I do run with Power Conditioner on my Amp.

You're absolutely right. Burmester also gives the advice to use 2 948's when you have 2 of their mighty 909 power amps; my set-up is more modest though and the 948 provides plenty of pure juice for all my equipment. It got a Golden Ear Award from TAS a couple of years ago by the way.

f1 fan 05-31-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat
No, I don't; it's connected directly to the wall. My understanding is that the Running Springs Conditioners are thie one that best support an amp plugged into them. Don't know about the PPCs, though.

+1...directly into wall.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

prepress 06-01-2011 05:30 AM

Everything's plugged into a Furman SPR-20i voltage regulator, which (of necessity) is chained to a Furman Elite-15 PFi; Before the SPR it was a Tripplite LCR2400; both are capable of everything the wall has to offer. The Elite, though 15A, offers 55A of reserve current. My system doesn't pull more than about 4.5A when watching a DVD/BD and only 1.6–1.8A when listening to music. So I have plenty of power.

esteban 06-01-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 169532)
You're absolutely right. Burmester also gives the advice to use 2 948's when you have 2 of their mighty 909 power amps; my set-up is more modest though and the 948 provides plenty of pure juice for all my equipment. It got a Golden Ear Award from TAS a couple of years ago by the way.

That was my understanding as well, and the reason why I asked the original question in this thread. I use a PS Audio Duet, which supposedly is one of the few conditioners that does not limit the current flow. I am experimenting at the moment to see what sounds best, but my amp is really not too thirsty. The manual states a 250W consumption. Initial comparisons did not show any differences at all, truth be told (and I live in a condo). The biggest difference the PS made in my system was the improvement on the VIDEO side of things. The picture quality on my Panasonic plasma is definitely more stable, less "grainy", and contrast has a lot more "punch".

Thanks all for your input.

TMcD 06-01-2011 12:53 PM

I do run my amp directly into the wall as well, a while ago I had a separate plug installed with its own 20amp breaker. It made a big difference in sound. I run everything else through a balanced power unit with good results.

slowGEEZR 06-01-2011 01:01 PM

I run my integrated tube amp via 7 gauge power cords through a Humbuster 3 to the 20 amp dedicated line, in order to prevent any low level DC voltage from entering the amp transformers.

tdelahanty 06-01-2011 08:06 PM

My amps are on a Furman Ref-20 thru a dedicated 20a circuit. All front-end equipment is on a Furman Ref-15 thru another dedicated 20a circuit.

Current limiting due to an inadequate conditioner is important, but also keep in mind your amps don't run at full power very often. The real world average current is much less than full power consumption.

bodiezaffa 06-11-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteban (Post 169670)
That was my understanding as well, and the reason why I asked the original question in this thread. I use a PS Audio Duet, which supposedly is one of the few conditioners that does not limit the current flow. I am experimenting at the moment to see what sounds best, but my amp is really not too thirsty. The manual states a 250W consumption. Initial comparisons did not show any differences at all, truth be told (and I live in a condo). The biggest difference the PS made in my system was the improvement on the VIDEO side of things. The picture quality on my Panasonic plasma is definitely more stable, less "grainy", and contrast has a lot more "punch".

Thanks all for your input.

I too had the PS Audio Duet. I bought it the same time as my original amp and never did an a/b test.
About a yr later, I decided to listen with and without it to hear the difference. The Duet was put on Audiogon the next day.
I do think that the right conditioner can make moderate improvements in lowering the noise floor and increasing the sound quality but I haven’t done any research since then. I am looking once again but would really like to try and find something that will protect everything, take nothing away, add performance values but cost no more than a grand.
I’m still looking…..

scarpi 06-11-2011 06:22 PM

I have my amp plugged into its own Shunyata Research Hydra Two which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp line. :thumbsup:

ehoove 06-11-2011 08:06 PM

Sources yes. My 3 Power amps are plugged directly into a dedicated 20amp line, but you guy's have me thinking now!:scratch2:
Regards,
Jim

dpgstereo 06-12-2011 01:20 AM

Do you think a power conditioner is more effective on the front end or back end of your system? I had an issue with my MC134 locking up before I added a power conditioner. Voltage swing. After I added a power conditioner, no more issues. However, not sure if I can hear a differance with my 1201's connected to a power conditioner?

prepress 06-12-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpgstereo (Post 172051)
Do you think a power conditioner is more effective on the front end or back end of your system? I had an issue with my MC134 locking up before I added a power conditioner. Voltage swing. After I added a power conditioner, no more issues. However, not sure if I can hear a differance with my 1201's connected to a power conditioner?

For me, protecting the equipment is the prime concern. I didn't know (or care, particularly) about sound improvements at first. A good conditioner will clean up and stabilize power from the wall, allowing you to hear what the equipment is doing. My one experience is hearing a VPI table with and without a PLC. The difference was that with the PLC the sound was cleaner. No grunge. So today, my Furmans go into the wall, and my equipment into the Furmans.

bodiezaffa 06-24-2011 03:52 PM

Since the PS Audio PPP is replaced by the P5/P10, there are some good deals going on with the outgoing version.
I auditioned one last night but found the soundstage to implode a bit. On the plus side, I felt the overall sound to be a bit less harsh but in my case, the negative outweighed the positive.
My retailer then demonstrated a Transparent PowerBank 6. I thought it was just a surge protector but I was wrong. I noticed an immediate improvement in soundstage and felt the seperation between instruments were more defined.
At ˝ the price of the PPP (PPP was $1200 on blowout) I took the PowerBank 6 home to discover it made the same gains in my own system.
Perhaps the electricity is cleaner where I live, Im not sure. Nonetheless, I give :thumbsup::thumbsup: to the P6 from Transparent.

Still-One 06-24-2011 04:13 PM

I have tried my 1.2k's both direct and each one thru its own dedicated PPP. I think I get a bit more detail with the PPP's in the line while losing a bit of dynamics or impact, but not enough to worry about. I might try the Transparent Powerisolater MM2 on my amps too.

I don't like the PPP's on my sources when compared to my APC S-15, both in sound and since I lose the battery back-up protection for my MS-300 and Olvie 4HD. If my APC unit ever goes I may try one of the PurePower units.

Jim

SRT-10 Viper 06-24-2011 07:14 PM

I have a room that doesn't have dedicated power. What would be better, adding 2 20 amp dedicated circuits or have purepower 2000 driving my system?

bodiezaffa 06-24-2011 11:36 PM

From what I have read about purepower, it seems to offer all the filtering of dirty electricity without limiting the sound quality.

I think the real question is how dirty is your incoming power.

A good analogy would be - If a water filter is fed pure water, what more can the filter do ?

Ritmo 06-24-2011 11:41 PM

Chuck,

I added two dedicated 20A lines earlier this year. While I was at first somewhat skeptical, I went ahead and paid for a professional installation. The difference in sound was significant.

Now, I have not upgraded yet to a PP2/3000 or PPP or Shunyata Hydra V2. That's in the near future.

So, I cannot comment on one vs the other.

Mike

TommyC 06-25-2011 12:16 AM

The PurePower can provide constant clean 120V to your gears. It also provides more juice than the dedicated line due to its internal battery.

Removed 06-25-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper (Post 174897)
I have a room that doesn't have dedicated power. What would be better, adding 2 20 amp dedicated circuits or have purepower 2000 driving my system?

My experience with both scenarios......

Better = PurePower
Best = Deicated lines and PurePower

Rod#S 08-05-2011 10:45 AM

From the wall I go to a Furman SPR-20i which I have a few units plugged into (PS3, Paradigm Servo 15a, old VCR, old dual dual cassette deck, original Xbox) and then I have my Furam IT-Reference plugged into the SPR-20i. Into the IT-Reference I have the following connected, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Lexicon MC-12BV5EQ, Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD, Xbox 360, Sony 300 disc cd changer, Paradigm Reference Servo 15a, 2 Bryston 4B-SST amps, Bryston 6B-SST and a HD PVR. The only unit I have plugged into the wall is my Paradigm Signature Sub 25.

Rod

Rilands 08-05-2011 04:59 PM

Directly to the wall.

drummermitchell 08-05-2011 08:46 PM

Directly to my Torus(s),sold off my shunyatas as my audition of the Torus was holy crap.
Major step up for me and that's with dedicated lines.

Rod#S 08-05-2011 09:10 PM

Those Torus units are supposed to be great units. On paper they seem very similar to my Furman IT-Reference and I would love to someday demo either a CS20, CS20 AVR, CS 20 BAL or CS 20 BAL AVR just to see/hear what performance differences there might be compared to my SPR-20i/IT-Reference setup.

drummermitchell 08-06-2011 09:40 AM

Of all my components these are keepers as they were a major upgrade.
As I upgraded gear so did the Torus.
Went from a 15a balanced to 15+20a balanced(sources and amps),
now a 60a bal(for my 28B's)and the 20a bal for components.
It was basically WTF when I put in the 20a with the 15a(separating)my amps,
back then were 3X7Bsst's and 2X4Bsst's.
I guess the 15a couldn't handle all those Bryston's at once:D.
definately I was shocked at how authoritive my system had become, or UNLEASHED:thumbsup:..

Rod#S 08-06-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummermitchell (Post 188693)
Of all my components these are keepers as they were a major upgrade.
As I upgraded gear so did the Torus.
Went from a 15a balanced to 15+20a balanced(sources and amps),
now a 60a bal(for my 28B's)and the 20a bal for components.
It was basically WTF when I put in the 20a with the 15a(separating)my amps,
back then were 3X7Bsst's and 2X4Bsst's.
I guess the 15a couldn't handle all those Bryston's at once:D.
definately I was shocked at how authoritive my system had become, or UNLEASHED:thumbsup:..

Wow, that much of a difference, very nice. For the 60a unit did you get the component unit or the wall unit? Did you have to do some special wiring to install the 60?

Rod

TOGA 09-03-2011 01:47 PM

I use Transparent Power Isolator Reference or PIR feeding my Esoteric P03/D03 and
ARC Ref 40, and I can't listen without it. without PIR, bass is worse, high is more annoying.
Now looking to add one more to feed Moon W7M power amps. May be buying Purepower 1050 or Accuphase 510 to replace Transparent duty, and use this Transparent with Moon amps. the other options are buyinh RSA Maxim to feed power amps. or Buying Dmitri to
feed entire system and sell Transparent PIR.

TOGA 09-11-2011 01:59 PM

OK, I've tried it by myself. Feeding power from RSA Maxim to my W7M mono blocks.
I am sure dynamic and fun was reduced by half. But it can be that Maxim need more time
to make internal caps and coils more saturated.

djwhog 09-11-2011 05:14 PM

yes clean is better and safer too!

rnrmf1971 09-15-2011 11:49 AM

I recently started using an MC602, from my previous MC202. It's a different, more transparent sound, for certain.

I've always plugged into a PS Audio PPP with my MC202, and did the same with the MC602.

I hadn't tried the MC602 direct into the wall, and I was under the impression that I might like it better into the wall, so Monday, I tried back and forth direct to the wall and into the PPP a few times.

The result actually surprised me...

The MC602 into the PPP was worlds better. The bass was deeper, and the extension on the top end improved, although not as greatly as the depth and quality of bass.
Instrumentation became more defined and in its' own space, making for a marked increase in resolution.

I'm really happy I tried it, as it confirmed the value of the PPP in my system. I'm interested to hear how other power conditioners might improve upon the PPP in the future, although I may wait to try something else until I get a 20 amp line put in.

TheHills44060 10-19-2011 10:46 AM

Have everything plugged into Richard Gray 400's including the amp.

weird 11-12-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod#S (Post 188707)
Wow, that much of a difference, very nice. For the 60a unit did you get the component unit or the wall unit? Did you have to do some special wiring to install the 60?

Rod

I can answer for him and use a quote. His electrician told him.

"you have enough 240 power here to run a laundry mat."

:thumbsup: