AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do you connect your amp to your power conditioner? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8546)

f1 fan 05-31-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat
No, I don't; it's connected directly to the wall. My understanding is that the Running Springs Conditioners are thie one that best support an amp plugged into them. Don't know about the PPCs, though.

+1...directly into wall.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

prepress 06-01-2011 05:30 AM

Everything's plugged into a Furman SPR-20i voltage regulator, which (of necessity) is chained to a Furman Elite-15 PFi; Before the SPR it was a Tripplite LCR2400; both are capable of everything the wall has to offer. The Elite, though 15A, offers 55A of reserve current. My system doesn't pull more than about 4.5A when watching a DVD/BD and only 1.6–1.8A when listening to music. So I have plenty of power.

esteban 06-01-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 169532)
You're absolutely right. Burmester also gives the advice to use 2 948's when you have 2 of their mighty 909 power amps; my set-up is more modest though and the 948 provides plenty of pure juice for all my equipment. It got a Golden Ear Award from TAS a couple of years ago by the way.

That was my understanding as well, and the reason why I asked the original question in this thread. I use a PS Audio Duet, which supposedly is one of the few conditioners that does not limit the current flow. I am experimenting at the moment to see what sounds best, but my amp is really not too thirsty. The manual states a 250W consumption. Initial comparisons did not show any differences at all, truth be told (and I live in a condo). The biggest difference the PS made in my system was the improvement on the VIDEO side of things. The picture quality on my Panasonic plasma is definitely more stable, less "grainy", and contrast has a lot more "punch".

Thanks all for your input.

TMcD 06-01-2011 12:53 PM

I do run my amp directly into the wall as well, a while ago I had a separate plug installed with its own 20amp breaker. It made a big difference in sound. I run everything else through a balanced power unit with good results.

slowGEEZR 06-01-2011 01:01 PM

I run my integrated tube amp via 7 gauge power cords through a Humbuster 3 to the 20 amp dedicated line, in order to prevent any low level DC voltage from entering the amp transformers.

tdelahanty 06-01-2011 08:06 PM

My amps are on a Furman Ref-20 thru a dedicated 20a circuit. All front-end equipment is on a Furman Ref-15 thru another dedicated 20a circuit.

Current limiting due to an inadequate conditioner is important, but also keep in mind your amps don't run at full power very often. The real world average current is much less than full power consumption.

bodiezaffa 06-11-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteban (Post 169670)
That was my understanding as well, and the reason why I asked the original question in this thread. I use a PS Audio Duet, which supposedly is one of the few conditioners that does not limit the current flow. I am experimenting at the moment to see what sounds best, but my amp is really not too thirsty. The manual states a 250W consumption. Initial comparisons did not show any differences at all, truth be told (and I live in a condo). The biggest difference the PS made in my system was the improvement on the VIDEO side of things. The picture quality on my Panasonic plasma is definitely more stable, less "grainy", and contrast has a lot more "punch".

Thanks all for your input.

I too had the PS Audio Duet. I bought it the same time as my original amp and never did an a/b test.
About a yr later, I decided to listen with and without it to hear the difference. The Duet was put on Audiogon the next day.
I do think that the right conditioner can make moderate improvements in lowering the noise floor and increasing the sound quality but I haven’t done any research since then. I am looking once again but would really like to try and find something that will protect everything, take nothing away, add performance values but cost no more than a grand.
I’m still looking…..

scarpi 06-11-2011 06:22 PM

I have my amp plugged into its own Shunyata Research Hydra Two which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp line. :thumbsup:

ehoove 06-11-2011 08:06 PM

Sources yes. My 3 Power amps are plugged directly into a dedicated 20amp line, but you guy's have me thinking now!:scratch2:
Regards,
Jim

dpgstereo 06-12-2011 01:20 AM

Do you think a power conditioner is more effective on the front end or back end of your system? I had an issue with my MC134 locking up before I added a power conditioner. Voltage swing. After I added a power conditioner, no more issues. However, not sure if I can hear a differance with my 1201's connected to a power conditioner?