AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   REL Carbon Special (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50658)

Antonmb 09-11-2022 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 1066283)
Thank you Tony. A prior owner thumbs up is the best review in my book.

It should be a great match for your Amators, it's fast and tight, with great definition and speed - did I mention it's fast? Not sluggish like some subs.

miner 09-14-2022 04:04 PM

I opted for new instead of the dealers den model. He mentioned it was faster than the S812.

The EA will benefit from their newest house guest.

miner 11-03-2022 11:20 PM

Mine just arrived yesterday. Have only played a couple of LPs so far. Waiting for the return of my Bryston BCD-3 from service to do the proper breakin.

gdfein001 01-14-2024 07:55 PM

I’m currently looking at the Carbon specials or JL f112v2. Anyone get a chance to hear both and have any opinion as to why you choose the Carbon.

vmk 01-15-2024 07:02 AM

I replaced JL 212 subs with Rel Carbon Special subs. The JL subs are more impactful but less musical. I used the JL subs in a dedicated theater and were monsters in that capacity. I now only have a 2 channel system. The Carbon Specials are wonderful for music.

miner 01-19-2024 01:46 PM

I am using one Carbon Special with a pair of Sf Electa Amator. I am running wirelessly with great results.

sslbun 01-23-2024 06:06 PM

Hi everyone, I was going to start a new thread but I think this is the right place. I just got a carbon special and I've been watching John Hunter say that no, you should NOT try to decouple your rel sub from the floor. That you should start with placement in the corner and let the feet rest without spikes to take advantage of the floor resonance. I've been experimenting with my sub for a week now and I've come to the conclusion that I need to put it on spikes. I've been trying to dial it in with the rest of my main system. Started at 30hz and I've been going up in 10hx steps. I've settled somewhere between 60 and 80hz which surprised me, but I think I discovered that I like the feel and tone when it engages those frequencies as well. Volume can't go higher than 4 clicks though without seeming too loud or intense. It doesn't sound boomy per se, but just too loud, or as if I can hear the sub instead of it disappearing. I love precision when it comes to music and I've come to love super controlled tight bass. I'm thinking isolating the sub might let me increase volume a click or two without increasing intensity. I might be using the wrong terms here so my bad if I'm not being clear.

Just wondering what everyone's experiences are in isolating the carbon special. My room is carpet on a pad on top of plywood subfloor on wood floor joists. I was initially looking at some Orea Bordeaux isolators but now I'm thinking spikes (either individual or the aperta sub XL). Might just get both sets to see how it sounds. I'm still a beginner, so getting both spikes and pucks for testing might be good for me.

kubla36 01-30-2024 12:54 PM

Benefits for XRT1Ks

Do you think there would be much benefit from a pair of Carbon Specials augmenting Mcintosh XRT1Ks (line array going down to 20Hz with dual 10" woofers)?

My room is only 15x33 (small for the XRT's already, but I enjoy the sound stage, which has to be cranked to appreciate). I don't have the space for a six pack-- squeezing these in would be a challenge (would not have room to move them around much at all).

vintage_tube 01-30-2024 06:06 PM

Better hurry up -- all RELs going up 02/01/24 (USA Price list hasn't been disseminated as yet - the new CAD prices have been posted).

Bob

McMain 01-31-2024 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubla36 (Post 1080467)
Do you think there would be much benefit from a pair of Carbon Specials augmenting Mcintosh XRT1Ks (line array going down to 20Hz with dual 10" woofers)?

My room is only 15x33 (small for the XRT's already, but I enjoy the sound stage, which has to be cranked to appreciate). I don't have the space for a six pack-- squeezing these in would be a challenge (would not have room to move them around much at all).

Absolutely. Work with your dealer to take measurements of your room and properly blend the subwoofer into your speakers. I worked with my dealer, and we found better measurements, which led to better results, than with the JL Audio measurements via the F110V1.