AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Any DAC Suggestions For PS Audio Perfectwave SACD Transport (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50496)

LarsT 11-07-2021 11:02 AM

Any DAC Suggestions For PS Audio Perfectwave SACD Transport

After much deliberation, I ordered the Perfectwave SACD Transport during the recent PS Audio sale. I previously owned the Memory Player and found it to be the best player I had ever owned. At one point, I even ran it into my Luxman D-08u. Ultimately though, and mistakenly, I parted with it. I did not find the grass greener.

So now, I need find a DAC for it. I never fell in love with the Directstream, so that is not going to be an option. Ideally, I would be looking for a DAC with an I2S input, but I think DoP over AES would work nicely as well. And, I am looking to keep this investment “limited” as well. I will initially be running it into the S/PDIF on my McIntosh C53 preamp until I find what I am looking for.

As of now, I’m looking at the Aqua LaVoce S3 or the Holo Audio KTE May DAC. But I am more than open to others.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

SCAudiophile 11-08-2021 05:26 AM

I heard the Holo May Kitsune level DAC at CAF 2021 yesterday....overbuilt in the extreme, great sounding, has I2S and other inputs, Delta-Sigma and R2R DACs,...every bit as amazing as the large volume of positive comments have said it is.

That would be my #1 suggestion in the range and group you are looking at, hands down.

LarsT 11-08-2021 10:19 AM

Thank Mark. I have read the great reviews, but it is great to get feedback from folks in the forum that have actually listened to it. Right now, it is the clubhouse leader.

SCAudiophile 11-08-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 1048320)
Thank Mark. I have read the great reviews, but it is great to get feedback from folks in the forum that have actually listened to it. Right now, it is the clubhouse leader.

Glad to help! Mola Mola Tambaqui could also be a contender. I'd say from what I heard Sunday the Kitsune is definitely the clubhouse leader....

JMD 11-08-2021 10:34 PM

Lars

I happen to own both the Aqua and the May KTE. While the Aqua is a really good DAC and easily better than the DS Sr. even after the transformer mod the May KTE beats the Aqua to me. I tried them head to head after the May KTE had over 600 hours on it. It is also the better match for the PST via I2s. As you know the Aqua I2S is proprietary is only works with their streamer and CD transport.

GSOphile 11-09-2021 09:22 AM

If you want to play SACDs from this PS Audio transport, you will need a PS Audio DAC.

LarsT 11-09-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD (Post 1048359)
Lars

I happen to own both the Aqua and the May KTE. While the Aqua is a really good DAC and easily better than the DS Sr. even after the transformer mod the May KTE beats the Aqua to me. I tried them head to head after the May KTE had over 600 hours on it. It is also the better match for the PST via I2s. As you know the Aqua I2S is proprietary is only works with their streamer and CD transport.

Thank you.

bart 11-09-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSOphile (Post 1048371)
If you want to play SACDs from this PS Audio transport, you will need a PS Audio DAC.

That's what I also thought.

Another vote for the Holo May, and for the Mola Mola, which I own, if you're not into SACDs.

LarsT 11-09-2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSOphile (Post 1048371)

According to PS Audio, I don’t need a PS Audio DAC. I just need a DAC with I2S to play the SACD layer.

njcardave 11-09-2021 09:19 PM

I have a Bryston BDA3 and really love the sound. Listening to Shelby Lynne at the moment. Would suggest that you give it an audition.