AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   BDA-2 Arrived today! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26896)

scirica 05-28-2014 01:25 PM

BDA-2 Arrived today!

I'm pretty excited. My BDA-2 arrived via FedEx today. And while I haven't done nearly enough critical listening to offer a detailed review yet, my initial reactions are very positive. I can tell you one thing: Since switching from my Anthem MRX500 and Oppo 93 to my current setup, I'm finally realizing how good redbook CD's can sound with the right equipment.

As I'm testing the Bryston, my current setup has my Oppo-105D feeding the Bryston via Optical output, and my Sooloos MC200 (on loan) feeding the BDA-2 via digital coax. From the Bryston I'm going balanced out (XLR-WW Silver) to the AUX1 XLR input on the MX121. MX121 goes via XLR to MC205 and then on to my Focal 948's. This also allows me to keep the unbalanced analog outs of the Oppo and Sooloos connected to add'l inputs on the MX121 to compare the internal DACs versus the Bryston.

Initial thoughts are the vocals are a little more coherent and stable in their placement in the sound stage. Bass lines appear to have a little more detail, in that I perceive that I can hear some additional detail in the resonance of a bass note from an electric bass.

As I listen more critically (work is getting in the way of fun) I'll report back with more findings. Anyone with BDA-2 experience I'd love to hear what your reactions have been so far.

Steve

bjski 05-28-2014 01:46 PM

I went from a Theta to a Bryston BDA-1 to a Bryston BDA-2. I love my Bryston BDA-2.

jdandy 05-28-2014 02:35 PM

Steve.......Congratulations of the Bryston BDA-2. It has been getting rave reviews. Your sound system is really starting to come together. :thumbsup:

scirica 05-28-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 610347)
Steve.......Congratulations of the Bryston BDA-2. It has been getting rave reviews. Your sound system is really starting to come together. :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan! As I move up the Focal chain later this year, it will only get better! No promises to myself yet, but I see Focal 1038be's in my future powered by an MC452 :yes:

Yamaki 05-28-2014 03:12 PM

Steve...Congratulations! I am a firm believer in XLR connections myself. I think you made a great decision with the BDA-1.

Enjoy!!! :yes:

Pider 05-28-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 610367)
Steve...Congratulations! I am a firm believer in XLR connections myself. I think you made a great decision with the BDA-1. Enjoy!!! :yes:

BDA-2! Yes, congratulations!

Question. With the Mc gear, why not a D100?

scirica 05-28-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pider (Post 610418)
BDA-2! Yes, congratulations!

Question. With the Mc gear, why not a D100?

Let's just say a reputable source told me this was a Mac killer :yes:

piolaxo 05-28-2014 07:10 PM

Congrats on your new BDA-2 Steve. So how did the Oppo's 105D DAC fare if I may
ask? Not that is going to beat a full-blown dedicated DAC, but the Oppo does have
a decent one. I'm very interested since we share similar gear (minus the speakers of
course), with the main difference that I use the C2200 to feed the MC207.

Sal

audio badger 05-28-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piolaxo (Post 610440)
ask? Not that is going to beat a full-blown dedicated DAC, but the Oppo does have
a decent one. I'm very interested since we share similar gear (minus the speakers of

Sal

Congratulations! I've heard a lot of great feedback on the BDA-2.

Yes, I would also love to hear how the BDA-2 compares to the Oppo 105 DAC as this is a change I am contemplating. Thanks!

scirica 05-29-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piolaxo (Post 610440)

Sal

I'm still in my initial phases of listening, and I'd say the Oppo Sabre DAC's hold up very well to the BDA-2. I am detecting the slightest bit of extra "openness" and detail with the BDA-2 but it is not a mind-blowing difference. I do feel it is more convenient to use a dedicated DAC to switch between digital sources and then having them all go into the MX121 via the lone XLR stereo input.

I may be chasing windmills here as my system has just gone through a major change switching from Anthem and Proceed to McIntosh and already saw a huge bump in the overall audio experience. This has at least been an incremental improvement for sure!