AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   What are you Grilling? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   What brand of Grill do you use/own? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13349)

SCAudiophile 09-26-2016 03:43 AM

2" thick ribeyes.....now that will grab one's attention :-) !

develyn 11-01-2016 11:20 PM

I have a hastybake. Over 20 years old and still a great grill.

Masterlu 11-04-2016 05:17 PM

develyn... Welcome to AA! :wave:

mtroo 11-04-2016 11:34 PM

I had a large BGE but upgraded to a Komodo Kamado 32" grill. Has about 185 lbs of stainless steel and weighs in at nearly 1000 pounds. The fit and finish are unbelievable and because of the design of the firebox, it can cook at lower temps more reliably than a BGE.

I also use a 15 yr old TEC for when I want to quickly wear a steak but the KK gets the lions share of the work by far. I had lusted for a Kalamazoo grill but the KK has cured that for now.

SCAudiophile 11-08-2016 07:50 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Humbly submit a plan for the backyard, Argentinean "Asador Criollo" style grilling, dirt pit, lots of great wood and a couple of "iron crosses"...

Attachment 48133

Attachment 48134

Attachment 48135

Attachment 48136

Attachment 48137

Attachment 48138

krustycat 11-08-2016 08:21 PM

with all due respect, cooking that way is more complicated than the newer "parrillero" style, which accomplishes very similar results.

SCAudiophile 11-09-2016 07:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by krustycat (Post 812606)
with all due respect, cooking that way is more complicated than the newer "parrillero" style, which accomplishes very similar results.

It's great to meet you! Remind me to tell you my family ties to Argentina and my love for both Argentina and Uruguay....

Yes it is more complicated and time-consuming (asador criollo) and parrillero accomplishes very similar and delicious results for the vast majority of meats, vegetables, seafood and the cuts of the above.

For certain primal cuts like "vaca entero", (full) asado racks, (full) vacio primal cuts, lechon and cerdo "entero", there is nothing quite like the ultra slow and indirect method of asador criollo (in my humble opinion). It develops a flavor penetration and tenderness profile from the outer sinew, fat/overall casing of the primal cuts that has no equal (again, in my humble opinion) on the 'big' cuts. For lechon and cerdo though, it is a toss-up (IMHO) often times as if the parrillero is done right and patiently with very low heat, the rewards are very large and equal to asador criollo:D!

And,...yes (:yes::yes::yes:) this gringo(!) has cooked all these ways (except vaca entero) while in-country over the past few years.

There is something magnificent to me seeing a fully loaded parrillero setup at home or at a large restaurant and as much beauty seeing this;

Attachment 48145

Attachment 48146

Attachment 48147

njcardave 10-08-2022 11:21 PM

I have an 8 year old Vermont Casting propane grill. It’s still working OK because I’ve done some minor maintenance to it. When it finally dies I will replace it with a WILMINGTON GRILL. looking forward to owning the Wilmington Classic. Check out the burners, the last grill I will ever buy.

Formerly YB-2 10-09-2022 09:10 AM

Surprises me that it has been just 1-month short of 6 years since someone posted in this thread.

Char-Griller Akorn Jr. Kamado here (new to me this summer). My first 'egg' grill and it is terrific now that I've gained the needed experience in using. Does everything we need and does it well. The only drawback is minor. The hassle of using charcoal. But, a cheapo waterproof patio storage box has solved that problem and holds everything (charcoals, hardwood chips, non-petroleum starters, etc.). Once organized, charcoal is simple.

crwilli 10-09-2022 09:21 AM

RecTeq RT 340 Pellet Smoker and. Weber Propane. All bases covered with little mess and fuss.