AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shunyata delivery and first impressions (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49490)

Native Vermonter 02-05-2021 01:47 PM

Shunyata delivery and first impressions

1 Attachment(s)
Today I received an Omega XC, a pair of Sigma V2 NRs, a pair of Venom Defenders, and a trio of SR-Z1 outlets.

An additional two dedicated 20 amp lines will be installed next week; each amp will be on its own circuit and use a Sigma V2 NR, sharing the outlet with a Defender.

The Omega XC will run the Denali on its own circuit, which powers the front end (Vivaldi stack and D’Agostino preamp). Front end cords from the Denali are all Stealth Dream (two V18s, a V12, and a V10).

I think I have my power end state setup...

I won’t get to hear the end state configuration until the dedicated circuits go in - the amps are running out of the Denali right now. But, it sounds so much more clear, precise and powerful now.

This was a bit ‘o coin, but worth every damn cent...

At this moment, Pneuma by Tool has my ass absolutely pinned to the couch...

Slainte,

Mitch

JoeN 02-05-2021 02:07 PM

You've made an already awesome system stellar!

lem321 02-05-2021 02:10 PM

Mitch,
Congratulations on the beautiful set-up. Curious why you chose Stealth Dream cables for your front end PCs and Shunyata Omega and Sigma for others. Have you tried the Shunyata PCs for the front end components?

KahunaCanuck 02-05-2021 04:38 PM

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/39970982.jpg

2fastdriving 02-05-2021 05:06 PM

Congrats! but wait until it all breaks in! Shunyata always surprises me when I get to 100 hours or so.

Native Vermonter 02-05-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lem321 (Post 1031527)
Mitch,
Congratulations on the beautiful set-up. Curious why you chose Stealth Dream cables for your front end PCs and Shunyata Omega and Sigma for others. Have you tried the Shunyata PCs for the front end components?

It kinda just evolved that way. I had everything on Stealth cables and d#coded to simplify the system, and have 2 new 20 amp circuits put in, so I set about to optimize the amp to wall connections, and the Denali supply cord, and Shunyata was the obvious and highly recommended solution.

I might someday put some Shunyata cords on the front end, but I will let the new configuration settle in before I make that call.

Native Vermonter 02-05-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 1031552)
Congrats! but wait until it all breaks in! Shunyata always surprises me when I get to 100 hours or so.

Thanks, I’m keeping track of the playing time and have a special beer reserved for the 100 hour mark...

jimtranr 02-05-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Vermonter (Post 1031567)
Thanks, I’m keeping track of the playing time and have a special beer reserved for the 100 hour mark...

Congratulations.

You may want to reserve another beer for ~140 hours, if my experience with the Delta V2s (both the XC and NR iterations) is any guide.

Antonmb 02-05-2021 07:09 PM

Well done Mitch, a very sweet setup.

Masterlu 02-05-2021 07:10 PM

Congrats... but wait; there’s more to come! :naughty:

crwilli 02-05-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Vermonter (Post 1031567)
...and have a special beer reserved for the 100 hour mark...

I like the way you roll!

Weirdcuba 02-05-2021 09:47 PM

Seems like a trip to Vermont is fully in order, once people start doing that sort of thing again ....

Native Vermonter 02-06-2021 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1031571)
Congratulations.

You may want to reserve another beer for ~140 hours, if my experience with the Delta V2s (both the XC and NR iterations) is any guide.

Another beer is never a problem...I’ve spent the day listening to a couple songs I know by heart over and over again...something new pops outta the speakers on every listen.

Life is good...

Native Vermonter 02-06-2021 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1031575)
Congrats... but wait; there’s more to come! :naughty:

Indeed—pls call Shunyata and tell them not to let the second shift go just yet; something tells me I ain’t done...

Native Vermonter 02-06-2021 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 1031581)
Seems like a trip to Vermont is fully in order, once people start doing that sort of thing again ....

Yes, I have not been home in a while and this last Christmas was only the second in my lifetime not spent in VT. That really sucked, but I did stay warmer...

Masterlu 02-06-2021 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mo’ Cables... ;)

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1612640088

Native Vermonter 02-07-2021 10:09 PM

I was advised on another forum that I really only need one more dedicated 20 amp circuit and I should plug both the amps into it vs a dedicated line for each amp. Rationale was that the combined load from both amps would never approach 20 amps so one plug would do, and separate lines runs the risk of inducing ground loop hum.

I dunno, seems like an isolated line for each amp would be better. That might be because I had to take Intro to EE in college twice (I am a civil engineer and the repeat wasn’t because I enjoyed the course so much the first time around).

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mitch

Masterlu 02-07-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Vermonter (Post 1031812)
I was advised on another forum that I really only need one more dedicated 20 amp circuit and I should plug both the amps into it vs a dedicated line for each amp. Rationale was that the combined load from both amps would never approach 20 amps so one plug would do, and separate lines runs the risk of inducing ground loop hum.

I dunno, seems like an isolated line for each amp would be better. That might be because I had to take Intro to EE in college twice (I am a civil engineer and the repeat wasn’t because I enjoyed the course so much the first time around).

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mitch

Non-sense... as long as you tell your electrician when he installs your dedicated lines; make sure they are all on the same Phase.

Get the extra dedicated line now, and thank me later. ;)

Native Vermonter 02-07-2021 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1031818)
Non-sense... as long as you tell your electrician when he installs your dedicated lines; make sure they are all on the same Phase.

Get the extra dedicated line now, and thank me later. ;)

The electricians’ s eyes lit up when he came for the estimate. He has a recording studio in his home and uses Shunyata there as well.

For the time being I have the amps plugged into the Denali and I’m floored.

My next move might be to move the Denali onto a table behind the rack (that’d simplify the cable spaghetti behind there now), and move the upsampler from above the DAC to where the Denali is now. Now, if I get this sized just right I might be able to replace the Denali with something bigger...

lem321 02-08-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Vermonter (Post 1031812)

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mitch

Several years ago, after doing a lot of research, I installed 3 dedicated lines, one for the front end components and two for the monoblocks. The incremental cost of a 3rd line is minimal. The potential problems with feedback loops, etc. can be greatly minimized by using identical length wiring (e.g. Romex) from your mains feed to each outlet. I also installed a subpanel as recommended by Shunyata (in their paper "Suggestion For Home Entertainment Electrical Installations") as the distance from the main panel to the outlets was greater than 20 feet. Equally important to a quiet installation is to ensure that the grounding of your dedicated lines is done correctly. This was also discussed in the Shunyata paper.

Native Vermonter 02-09-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lem321 (Post 1031860)
Several years ago, after doing a lot of research, I installed 3 dedicated lines, one for the front end components and two for the monoblocks. The incremental cost of a 3rd line is minimal. The potential problems with feedback loops, etc. can be greatly minimized by using identical length wiring (e.g. Romex) from your mains feed to each outlet. I also installed a subpanel as recommended by Shunyata (in their paper "Suggestion For Home Entertainment Electrical Installations") as the distance from the main panel to the outlets was greater than 20 feet. Equally important to a quiet installation is to ensure that the grounding of your dedicated lines is done correctly. This was also discussed in the Shunyata paper.

Thanks, I appreciate your advice. I told the electrician I’d have some stipulations and he said okay.

Cheers,

Mitch

Native Vermonter 02-09-2021 07:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Never give me too much time to think about something. I was figuring out how to build a stand for the space between the speakers and the existing stand. It’d need to be 9 inches wide at the front, 24 inches tall, at least 15 inches deep with a tapered top that would fit between the speakers and the stand. I started drawing it up, went to Amazon for inspiration and found the below. I cut a piece of cardboard to shape and it’ll fit pretty well.

The economics of the decision are leaning towards buying an Everest - cost avoidance from not installing the dedicated lines, recoup the cost of the pair of SR-z1 outlets and Venom Defenders I’d no longer need, and the offset from selling/trading the Denali. I can talk myself into just about anything.

So, here are 2 options:

1) amps on individual dedicated 20 amp circuits, and keep front end on the Denali

Or

2) buy an Everest, remove the Denali, cancel the additional dedicated lines, and run the entire system (amps and front end) on the Everest?

I love the Omega and Sigma powercords (for now the amps and front end are on the Denali and it sounds superb).

Any advice?

Mitch

Masterlu 02-09-2021 08:23 AM

The Everest and that stand has your name all over it. :yes:

Native Vermonter 02-09-2021 09:09 AM

Lots of stuff in the world has my name all over it...lots of it in my house already. I’ve been accused of being decadently self-indulgent, but I prefer self-indulgently decadent.

Of course, for symmetry, I’d need two of the stands. Then for vibration control I’d need a footer or spikes of some sort for the feet of the stand holding the Everest. Then again for symmetry I’d have to replicate that on the other side. Then I might have a custom platform made on which the Everest would rest wood/acrylic/Terrastone etc). Then, I might have some sound absorbing panels custom made to enclose the back and two sides of the stands and turn them into bass traps, and mitigate resonance from the speakers, which I’ve really been cranking lately.

My GF thinks I need an intervention.

W9TR 02-09-2021 09:57 AM

I think you need two Everests - for symmetry.

Masterlu 02-09-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1031923)

I was thinking that, but didn’t say it. :p

crion2 02-09-2021 10:46 AM

I run two Triton V3’s - frontend and 3 large active speakers, 2 circuits. When I procured this there was no Omega QR which could have been 3 Omega QR’s and no Triton V3 for the large actives.

Now you have 2 amps and that means you could do 2 Omega QR’s or possibly wait a bit with the second one (coming but no ETA) there might be a duo (Even though I would love a trio!) PD for amps.

But anyways, I think there is no need to call off your electrician. Having dedicated circuits means you are free to make the best possible choice. The cost is usually neglible compared to the systems.

Native Vermonter 02-09-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crion2 (Post 1031926)
I run two Triton V3’s - frontend and 3 large active speakers, 2 circuits. When I procured this there was no Omega QR which could have been 3 Omega QR’s and no Triton V3 for the large actives.

Now you have 2 amps and that means you could do 2 Omega QR’s or possibly wait a bit with the second one (coming but no ETA) there might be a duo (Even though I would love a trio!) PD for amps.

But anyways, I think there is no need to call off your electrician. Having dedicated circuits means you are free to make the best possible choice. The cost is usually neglible compared to the systems.

Yep, that was option 3; have the dedicated lines installed, buy the tables (already done), buy the Everest, run everything thru the Everest and then again using the dedicated circuits for the amps and decide which is best.

The other thing this does for me is allows me to get the upsampler on its own platform (where the Denali sits now), to further isolate it, and achieve, you guessed it, symmetry...two components per shelf.

Native Vermonter 02-09-2021 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Just waiting for that BOGO sale. In the meantime looking for a sculpture that is around 8 inches wide at the base and 20 inches tall to match the Everest for the other side of the existing stand.

Candidate below...

crion2 02-09-2021 12:01 PM

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RVkAA...mt/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7tkAA...yl/s-l1600.jpg

Native Vermonter 02-09-2021 03:10 PM

Rose quartz brings serenity and calmness. Good choice...thanks

Masterlu 02-09-2021 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mitch... ready when you are! :twisted:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1612898917

crion2 02-09-2021 03:50 PM

:D

Native Vermonter 02-09-2021 04:36 PM

Ivan,

Do you have one on hand? Give me a call in the AM tomorrow and we can figure out the best way to go. My advice from Shunyata is to have the additional 20 amp circuits installed for the amps, and either get an Everest or wait on the Typhon T2 to match the Denali.

Stylistically, I’m leaning toward the Everest...

Cheers,

Mitch

edward3132 02-09-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Vermonter (Post 1031978)

wait on the Typhon T2 to match the Denali.

Mitch

Something new to talk about??

Masterlu 02-09-2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Vermonter (Post 1031978)
Ivan,

Do you have one on hand? Give me a call in the AM tomorrow and we can figure out the best way to go. My advice from Shunyata is to have the additional 20 amp circuits installed for the amps, and either get an Everest or wait on the Typhon T2 to match the Denali.

Stylistically, I’m leaning toward the Everest...

Cheers,

Mitch

I will give you a call tomorrow morning.

Native Vermonter 02-09-2021 07:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks, look forward to speaking with you.

On the off chance I go the Everest route, I sketched up an isolation platform. The Everest would be within a couple inches of of the speaker at its face, so isolation will be important.

Not sure if I will go with wood, acrylic (assuming I can find a source to cut to size) or something else...

I’m a retired civil engineer and miss doing field sketches...

robfine 02-10-2021 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Vermonter (Post 1031921)
Lots of stuff in the world has my name all over it...lots of it in my house already. I’ve been accused of being decadently self-indulgent, but I prefer self-indulgently decadent.

Of course, for symmetry, I’d need two of the stands. Then for vibration control I’d need a footer or spikes of some sort for the feet of the stand holding the Everest. Then again for symmetry I’d have to replicate that on the other side. Then I might have a custom platform made on which the Everest would rest wood/acrylic/Terrastone etc). Then, I might have some sound absorbing panels custom made to enclose the back and two sides of the stands and turn them into bass traps, and mitigate resonance from the speakers, which I’ve really been cranking lately.

My GF thinks I need an intervention.

Need an in intervention? You’ve certainly come to the right place!!!

Native Vermonter 02-10-2021 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heck, this place is full of enablers

“geez Mitch, I can’t believe you don’t already have one of these....”

Hobbies become wants, wants become needs and then needs become obsessions.

My latest obsession - crystal and other media eagles...

Native Vermonter 02-10-2021 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Not a bad idea...