AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How do I get a Firmware update for an MX135? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38433)

rodH 01-26-2017 02:57 PM

How do I get a Firmware update for an MX135?

I am having some issues with my MX135. Issues involving powering up the unit as well as it will NOT show any onscreen display in the SET UP mode, so I can't any parameters. This comes after I had a power surge and found a bad fuse that I replaced. Either something in the unit is bad or I may need to reset the unit with updated firmware (I have never updated it before it was new way back in like 2004). Obviously would like to do the easiest thing first before looking into replacing ICs, and such.

Doing a search, it appears that some people have been doing updates on the 135 and 119, so hopefully there is someone out there that has access to it. Doing a google search I can NOT find access to the file or link anywhere. I am new to this forum, coming from the "other" forum, it appears that this one is much more active.

TIA

Masterlu 01-26-2017 03:21 PM

I have most all of the updates; if/when you become a Subscriber, you can PM me your email address, and I can send it to you.

Posting of emails on the public forum is not allowed.

edkoz 01-26-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodH (Post 828609)
I am having some issues with my MX135. Issues involving powering up the unit as well as it will NOT show any onscreen display in the SET UP mode, so I can't any parameters. This comes after I had a power surge and found a bad fuse that I replaced. Either something in the unit is bad or I may need to reset the unit with updated firmware (I have never updated it before it was new way back in like 2004). Obviously would like to do the easiest thing first before looking into replacing ICs, and such.

Doing a search, it appears that some people have been doing updates on the 135 and 119, so hopefully there is someone out there that has access to it. Doing a google search I can NOT find access to the file or link anywhere. I am new to this forum, coming from the "other" forum, it appears that this one is much more active.

TIA

I had the exact same problem with my MX135. Had to have it repaired by a McIntosh (certified ?) repair facility. Works great now.
Ed

edkoz 01-26-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 828615)
I have most all of the updates; if/when you become a Subscriber, you can PM me your email address, and I can send it to you.

Posting of emails on the public forum is not allowed.

TIA Becoming a subscriber of AA is WELL worth the price of admission. The info and friends I have made with this forum is priceless.:yes::yes::yes:
Ed

rodH 01-26-2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edkoz (Post 828631)
I had the exact same problem with my MX135. Had to have it repaired by a McIntosh (certified ?) repair facility. Works great now.
Ed

Really? how did yours happen? Any idea what they had to replace and approx cost? (I don't want to put $1000 into a unit that isn't worth much more than that).

btw, I no longer think I have a power issue problem, just the SET UP wont go to a display to set up my parameters

edkoz 01-26-2017 05:39 PM

It cost me about $400. There were a number of pars replaced. I can't find the receipt that calls out the parts.
Ed

rodH 01-26-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edkoz (Post 828639)
It cost me about $400. There were a number of pars replaced. I can't find the receipt that calls out the parts.
Ed

Thank you for info. I just spoke with Chuck at Mc, I have ONLY tried to do the SET UP process with the S-Video and Composite MON A outputs but have NOT even tried the Component MON A output (stupid me, as I did realize it could be done that way, IIRC, my MX132 could only be done using S-Video or Composite). He doesn't think it is a firmware issue at all. So at this point the plan is to try the Component outputs and see if that works, if it doesn't then I need to call back and talk to the repair guy so he can tell me which parts to "check". I am buddies with a guy who is an EE and an audiophile (builds his own tube amps and turnables) and is pretty good with a meter and a soldering iron, so with some guidance, we should be able to figure it out, if necessary. (crossing fingers that the Component SET UP will work, I do know that the Component Outputs do in fact work, but not sure if it will let me SET UP).

edkoz 01-26-2017 07:29 PM

Good luck!
Ed

rodH 01-27-2017 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edkoz (Post 828650)
Good luck!
Ed

Didn't work :icon_thumbsdown:

Now I need to figure out which chip(s) or other hardware might be the culprit. I found a small philips semiconductor in the IC3 slot that as I type in the part number gives a long description regarding OSD function. It is also very near 2 normal cables that also terminate near the Mon A S-Video, Mon A composite and Mon A Component. Also near it are resistors that also say OSD near them. The problem is, it could be this particular part or it could be one of the larger chips, it could be a smaller IC or something as simple as a resistor that has failed along the pathway.

I guess I need to make the call to Mc tomorrow and get more info. Frankly, if I could just get that part of the board (with all the ICs, resisters, and semiconductors) already installed that would be awesome, as I am convinced that it HAS to be related to something on that particular board), but something tells me that that could be very expensive, but perhaps not.

rodH 01-27-2017 05:17 PM

The other option could be that if it is going to cost more than the unit is worth, I could run it in the Default settings.

The cool thing is that the default settings are exactly the setting I use (all speakers set to "small", using Subwoofer, Xover set at 80Hz and set at 10 feet listening distances.....I am actually about 11-12 feet, but all 3 front speakers are equal distance so, that should be fine).

The only bummer would be that I can't plug everything and re-assign inputs, but if I hook everything up to their assigned inputs as labeled, I can use my program remote to do the rest.