AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Lamm (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Review - Lamm LP2.1 Phono Preamplifier (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48950)

tima 11-01-2020 08:20 PM

Review - Lamm LP2.1 Phono Preamplifier

Here is my review of the Lamm LP2.1 phonostage at Positive Feedback:

https://positive-feedback.com/review...-preamplifier/

Comments welcome!

kleinbje 11-03-2020 03:28 AM

Great stuff. Long time user of an Lp2. I frequently hear music the way you described, I always thought it was .the Naim sound, as I run a 52 and 500DR into Giya G3's. I love the Lamm, especially the no loading to OCD about. I would have enjoyed your thoughts on Rock music as I mostly enjoy 60's-2020, some Jazz and was inspired to pick up the Ellington album. I'm an ED physican and have a lot of after hours listening due my schedule. Excited to hear. I'm using WE417 and GE 6x4. What rectifier were you using, these preamps are so tuneable with rectifiers, absolutely wild. You can go from Cardas to Nordost in extremes. Great review thanks again.

Jeff

bart 11-03-2020 05:16 PM

Tim, very well written review!
A pleasure to read, even for lovers of digital. :yes:

PHC1 11-03-2020 05:21 PM

Great review. I miss my Lamm gear. :tears: The LP2 is one of those very special pieces where one has to plan everything around it and if the marriage and relationship takes off, it will be very special. Hence I never acquired the rather limited and narrow focused LP2 when I had Lamm...

Had I not changed Lamm out in the typical pursuit for something “better”, I would have eventually found a way to make the analog rig sing with the LP2.1 phono. It deserves the effort and will pay off with big sonic dividends. :music:

tima 11-04-2020 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleinbje (Post 1019787)
Great stuff. Long time user of an Lp2. I frequently hear music the way you described, I always thought it was .the Naim sound, as I run a 52 and 500DR into Giya G3's. I love the Lamm, especially the no loading to OCD about. I would have enjoyed your thoughts on Rock music as I mostly enjoy 60's-2020, some Jazz and was inspired to pick up the Ellington album. I'm an ED physican and have a lot of after hours listening due my schedule. Excited to hear. I'm using WE417 and GE 6x4. What rectifier were you using, these preamps are so tuneable with rectifiers, absolutely wild. You can go from Cardas to Nordost in extremes. Great review thanks again.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Don't have a lot of rock, but did use Blood Sweat & Tears in the comparison section. Ellington Indigos is a fantastic album. All tubes used for the review were stock, as provided by Lamm with the unit.

tima 11-04-2020 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1019851)

Thank you Bart and Serge !

Formerly YB-2 11-05-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1019851)

An excellent review, though the 'unusual' tubes give me pause.
Bart - isn't it time for you to come over to the 'dark side' (vinyl). While more involved, for you serious listening you may find it the best.

kleinbje 11-05-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1019854)
Great review. I miss my Lamm gear. :tears: The LP2 is one of those very special pieces where one has to plan everything around it and if the marriage and relationship takes off, it will be very special. Hence I never acquired the rather limited and narrow focused LP2 when I had Lamm...

Had I not changed Lamm out in the typical pursuit for something “better”, I would have eventually found a way to make the analog rig sing with the LP2.1 phono. It deserves the effort and will pay off with big sonic dividends. :music:

I've run the Lamm with a Lyra Kleos SL, Koetsu RSP, Dynavector XV1-T, and a Benz Ruby H. Always quiet with plenty of gain, and amazing sound. I run a Ypsillo n Mc16 into the MM. It's stellar. You can add loading to the SUT, I've never felt the need. The internals are great, but the Ypsillon is OOTW.

kleinbje 11-05-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tima (Post 1019914)
Thanks Jeff! Don't have a lot of rock, but did use Blood Sweat & Tears in the comparison section. Ellington Indigos is a fantastic album. All tubes used for the review were stock, as provided by Lamm with the unit.

Can you tell what rectifier it has, I'm curious to see what he is using now? I'd like to hear "his" rectifier sound.

Thanks
Jeff

tima 11-07-2020 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleinbje (Post 1020047)
Can you tell what rectifier it has, I'm curious to see what he is using now? I'd like to hear "his" rectifier sound.

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff - Unfortunately I cannot tell you the current brand because the LP2.1 review unit left a month ago. Rectifier is a type 6x4.