AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JBL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Need new grilles for your L100's? Foam Trends! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=4716)

Tonepub 06-14-2010 03:54 PM

Need new grilles for your L100's? Foam Trends!

Hey L-100 lovers....

If you need foam, grille frames or stands for your L-100's I highly suggest the guys at Foam Trends. I'd post a photo, but can never get it to work!

Now my L-100's look like new again!

Foam Trends Home Page

Vintage Pete 06-14-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonepub (Post 88026)
Hey L-100 lovers....

If you need foam, grille frames or stands for your L-100's I highly suggest the guys at Foam Trends. I'd post a photo, but can never get it to work!

Now my L-100's look like new again!

Foam Trends Home Page

Oh, man oh man....such great memories of the L100's, to this day I wish I still had mine. :tears:

Pete

Vintage Pete 06-14-2010 05:08 PM

The replica stands look nice too. I sold my L100's, with stands, in 1982 when I bought my L220's. I was lucky enough that, in 2005, the fellow I sold my L100's to sold me the stands back for $20, in pretty much perfect shape. I made some shorter arms for them for my 4313B's. I also made CAD drawings of them; if anyone would like copies of the drawings shoot me a PM.

The replica stands on this site do look nice indeed. I wonder if the logos are painted, or "burned" in, like the originals.

Pete

Joe 12-18-2012 04:36 PM

Sadly, it looks like the above supplier is no longer doing these grilles.

The only place I can find is this one:
foamspeakergrilles.com - Home

So I am considering the chocolate ones. :yes:

Joe 07-04-2013 08:25 AM

As an update, you will find excellent, exact dimension perfect grilles on ebay with “sculpted-foam-innovations“ on ebay. He is the only one making the correct thing dimensionally, color wise, etc.
I talked to him for some time on the phone. His commitment to the L100 is
beyond serious. He owns many and knows everything about them. His
dimensions are taken from the original grilles he got from someone in the JBL
parts dept. some time ago.
The creation of these grilles requires a large investment in time and money. He
related to me the process- hot wire cutting on an NC machine with massive
ventilation for that and the colors applied.
One thing I learned was that the badges on the grilles were originally both on the
left lower corner. In the late 70's they started making them left and right lower
corners

See my post concerning this here:
http://www.audioaficionado.org/jbl-a...storation.html

scirica 03-28-2014 09:25 AM

I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but I just love seeing the dedication to restoring one of my favorite speakers! My beloved older brother passed away on this date (March 28th) five years ago and it was his JBL Century 100's and Kenwood separates that started my journey into "hifi" over 35 years ago. Thank you so much for posting this. If I had only had the foresight to get these speakers from the estate before they disappeared as I knew he kept them in great shape. Sadly, but appropriately my thoughts were elsewhere at the time.

I think it's time to start hunting through Craig's list for my own set of L100's. For the record, I always wanted to be like big brother so I did purchase a pair of the Decade 36 series. Those fit my college budget a little easier than the 100's.

Thanks for the memories!

duragorob 05-17-2020 01:46 PM

JBL L100 Quadrex Foam replica grilles ?

I just acquired a pair of these vintage speakers in pristine condition along with the original walnut grille frames. Does anyone know where I can purchase a new pair of the Ultra blue Quadrex foam grills for these ? I know this thread is 10 years old, but would appreciate any help in locating a pair of grilles.

durangorob

Masterlu 05-17-2020 07:58 PM

duragorob... Welcome to AA! :wave: