AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Martin-Logan/Audio Research combo=Good? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44537)

michael paul 12-05-2018 10:48 AM

Martin-Logan/Audio Research combo=Good?

Hi ,

I love my Martin-Logans. I upgraded to 15a's.

Still concerned

Can these amps handle the low impedance drops of the M-L panel?

thanks

mike

dolsey01 12-05-2018 11:37 AM

Absolutely. Back in the day ML had ARC amps in there demo room with CLSIIz. I run my EM-ESL with a VSI-60. Whopping 50 watts.

Recently they were demoing the Neoliths with Rogue Audio Dark Apollos.

New ML's are pretty efficient and while they still have low impedance drops at high frequencies, they are nothing like MLs of years long past.

SL1800 12-05-2018 10:48 PM

I have ML 13a’s and have been running them for the past year with McIntosh MC275 x 2. Recently traded for Audio Research GS 150. The ARC handles my 13a’s so much better it’s amazing!!! I think most ARC amp would be great on your 15a’s

PaulRS 12-06-2018 09:18 AM

Sure. I have used both Aerius and now Montis, both love tubes much better than solid state. A friend of mine drove his CLXs with ARC amps, also with great results. Modern tube designs tend to handle dynamics better- they sound faster with better resolution. This compliments a quality ESL- really shows off their strengths.

michael paul 12-06-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 943646)
I have ML 13a’s and have been running them for the past year with McIntosh MC275 x 2. Recently traded for Audio Research GS 150. The ARC handles my 13a’s so much better it’s amazing!!! I think most ARC amp would be great on your 15a’s

Hi ,thank you.

I also have the REF6,and I am giving the GS150 serious consideration.

How would you describe the sound? Warm,analytical,detailed,sterile neutral?

I am looking for something a little more liquid,"full", enveloping warmth..I was using Krell solid state but I feel I have to move from that--too clinical.

PS ..not looking for "too" warm. Don't want to throw a blanket over the speakers!..lol

thanks

mike

Mikado463 12-06-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRS (Post 943667)
Sure. I have used both Aerius and now Montis, both love tubes much better than solid state. A friend of mine drove his CLXs with ARC amps, also with great results. Modern tube designs tend to handle dynamics better- they sound faster with better resolution. This compliments a quality ESL- really shows off their strengths.

wrong, but feel free to believe what you want.

I'm not saying tubes can't mate up well with stats, they can, but your rationale is off base.

Mikado463 12-06-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael paul (Post 943736)
Hi ,thank you.

I am looking for something a little more liquid,"full", enveloping warmth..I was using Krell solid state but I feel I have to move from that--too clinical.

PS ..not looking for "too" warm. Don't want to throw a blanket over the speakers!..lol

thanks

mike

Mike, your located here in Pa, buy a pair of Rogue Apollo 'Darks' from Mark Obrien, pocket a great savings over what you'll pay for the ARC and call it a day. I have no doubt the Rogue's will do everything you want and more .....

2fastdriving 12-06-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael paul (Post 943736)
Hi ,thank you.

thanks

mike

Steve can tell you more about how that sounds with ML, but I can say that with my Wilson's, Ref6/GS150 does indeed give you a liquid, full, enveloping type of warmth. But it still has plenty of detail, and NOT clinical.

It's a great combo.

michael paul 12-06-2018 08:14 PM

thank you guys!

PaulRS 12-07-2018 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 943740)
wrong, but feel free to believe what you want.

I'm not saying tubes can't mate up well with stats, they can, but your rationale is off base.

How so? I think the sonic advantages of using tubes are well understood in both high-end and professional audio. As well as engineering theory of why that's the case.