AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ps audio direct stream dac is a winner winner chicken dinner :) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45747)

1KW 05-08-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 964173)
How does the PS Audio Directstream compared to the Schiit Yggy?

I don’t know the answer as I have never heard the schiit yggy. I have heard good things about both . What I can say is the DirectStream sounds great, is completely upgradable because it has a field programable gate array hardware-DAC chip which is programable (Read about it) and PS audio gives these improvements as a download for free like every 6-9 months, the dac is native DSD and converts PCM to DSD. They also offer hardware upgrades so the longevity of your investment in a DAC isn’t made obsolete every 3-4 years which is what companies like esoteric do.

Poppyhome 05-08-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 964187)
What I can say is the DirectStream sounds great, is completely upgradable because it has a field programable gate array hardware-DAC chip which is programable (Read about it) and PS audio gives these improvements as a download for free like every 6-9 months, the dac is native DSD and converts PCM to DSD. They also offer hardware upgrades so the longevity of your investment in a DAC isn’t made obsolete every 3-4 years which is what companies like esoteric do.

I purchased a new PerfectWave MKII in 2012 and a short time after that PS Audio came out with the DirectStream, and later offered a upgrade path which made the PerfectWave MKII into a DirectStream. I bought that kit and since then upgraded the DAC with each FREE firmware update and saw a noticeable improvement. The recent Snowmass update brought this DAC to a different level though. :thumbsup: In 2018 I added the Bridge II.

I'm a happy camper with this 2012 DAC investment. :music:

Ron

DVass13 05-08-2019 09:18 AM

The offer of free updates/upgrades is the main reason I sold my Yggdrasil and bought a DSD. I originally bought an Yggy analog version 1 and Schiit soon put out the version 2. I saw the resale value of my Yggy take a big hit and would have had to fork out another $500 to upgrade to the new version plus pay for shipping. The FPGA in the DSD ensures that the DSD will be current for as long as it has the processing power to run future updates.

antipop 05-08-2019 11:18 AM

+1
The DSD is an amazing DAC. Mine is actually a first gen PS DAc that has been upgraded to DSD.

It's simply amazing that I've owned the same DAC for over 5 years and it's still current. That's very rare in our hobby.

1KW 05-08-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 964192)
I purchased a new PerfectWave MKII in 2012 and a short time after that PS Audio came out with the DirectStream, and later offered a upgrade path which made the PerfectWave MKII into a DirectStream. I bought that kit and since then upgraded the DAC with each FREE firmware update and saw a noticeable improvement. The recent Snowmass update brought this DAC to a different level though. :thumbsup: In 2018 I added the Bridge II.

I'm a happy camper with this 2012 DAC investment. :music:

Ron

:thumbsup:

1KW 05-08-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 964200)
+1
The DSD is an amazing DAC. Mine is actually a first gen PS DAc that has been upgraded to DSD.

It's simply amazing that I've owned the same DAC for over 5 years and it's still current. That's very rare in our hobby.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: great experiences

1KW 05-08-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVass13 (Post 964194)
The offer of free updates/upgrades is the main reason I sold my Yggdrasil and bought a DSD. I originally bought an Yggy analog version 1 and Schiit soon put out the version 2. I saw the resale value of my Yggy take a big hit and would have had to fork out another $500 to upgrade to the new version plus pay for shipping. The FPGA in the DSD ensures that the DSD will be current for as long as it has the processing power to run future updates.

How would you compare the sound between the two Dac’s?

1KW 05-09-2019 08:54 PM

https://www.audiostream.com/content/...am-podcast-no8

Poppyhome 05-09-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 964361)

Excellent podcast with the genius — thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Ron

Pyro 05-13-2019 07:46 AM

Ordered a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC last week. :yes::yes::yes: